Temporary health insurance

My wife and I are spending 5 months in Punta Cana this winter and I'm wondering if any ex-pats in the DR can point me towards info about health insurance  just for that period. The int'l companies are quoting the same kind of dollars we faced in Florida last winter and that doesn't seem right to me given the difference in health care costs. Is there a cheaper alternative (basic plan for emergencies)? Thanks a bunch!
John

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising your services is not allowed on the forum - please register in the business directory, thanks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Very hard to get temporary insurance here. Most local insurance companies have a waiting period for coverage (30 or 60 days) and a longer period for pre existing conditions.

Bob K

I have some clients who take out a policy for the year as they come back every year.  It works out often to less money they insurance coverage bought from home. BUT it depends on your individual circumstances.

Hi Bob,
Please send me 2-3 options for health plans I am 55.
You will have to de-codify some of the lingo
I will be in Cabarete in January
Thank you,
Florin

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please exchange your contact details in private
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

FlorinM we don't post our email addresses on open forums.  I am having it removed. 

Bob isn't an insurance agent. I am sure he can connect you with the people who do offer a group plan on the north coast though.

Thank you Planner,
pardon my clumsiness and my false presumption.
My thoughts were with you during your ordeal, glad you are OK, dash cam would had helped ?
In other words should I buy one  to bring it there?
Plans wise, I will have to wait for Bob input.

No problem honey, it's really for your protection. 

I am doing on now, but I need a break soon.  In my case dash cam would not have helped. Not sure they are available here.

Bob will respond to you I am sure.....

Dash cam can be a good idea but not available here that I am aware of.

As to insurance we get ours though a  local residence club and have a group plan however there are multiple plans sold by agents here on the north coast that are very similar in cost.  This was not the case 10 years ago hence our using the club's plan. Today I would probably just go and use one of our local agents.  The major players are Humano, Monumental and Universal.  All are very similar in cost and coverage.  We use Universal.

Bob K

I hope that answered your questions.  I am not an insurance agent or broker.  Just a nice retired fellow :D

Bob K

You are a nice fellow,  not sure you are actually retired....LOL

I work at being retired.  Not always successful :D:D:D

Bob K

Retired has a new meaning these days, I think it's called career change...lol

So true Mike..... :D

I thought being retired meant not doing anything to make more money, nothing, just cliping coupons.  More than that is not being retired, just semi retired. If you need to earn more & do so you are working!

What about volunteering?????  Lots of time spend and NO $$$$$$ for me at all.  Does that make me semi-retired???

Bob K

Not if you read my post carefully.  You don't make money doing it so you are retired. Just read the words  as written, I was quite explicit. If in doubt, re-read the post.  Keep up the good works, the kids need it. Good for you, more people should get off their butts & join you.

Yes there are so many here that could contribute but don't.

Bob K

Blessings to all those who do  volunteer!  You do get paid Bob, just not with money!

So true

Bob K

Thank you so much