Starting a business or self-employed

Hi,

I own a succesfull bar back here in Belgium, but fell in love with Mauritius while being there for business..
I've already looks up some info and talked to Mauritians about moving, but there's one question that needs clearing...
What's the difference between starting a business as investor or self-employed? My Mauritian friend told me that only doctors, lawyers, etc can be self-employed. If i wanted to start up something like a bar-restaurant, I would have to register as an investor. Is this true?
In Belgian I work as a self-employed bar owner with my common law partner as help. Is something like this also possible in Mauritius?

Thanks for the info!

Kind Regards,
Tom

Good day to friends. Interesting . I also need answer to this question . Thanks

Hi

The BOI invest mauritius clarifies for you. Investor requires 100 K (dollar) investment with certain annual T/O minimums. (think about 4 000 000 rupees per annum) Self employed - 40 K (dollar) investment and you need to do the work, ie) no employing of others. Minimum annual T/O (600 000 rupee).

Check out the BOI web site

Vince (relocating April 2016)

Thanks for the info so far!

So as a self-employed, I can't hire anybody, not even my partner? But she will get a residence permit since she's my common law partner for 7 years... Not very logical IMHO :)

Thanks Vince . So under self employment any business can be done . Is person allowed to take back his money at the end of day.

I found most info at this link:
http://www.mra.mu/download/GuideStartin … ug2014.pdf

As far as I have researched. No you cant. I have the same problem, common law partner - cant earn directly. But pay yourself a bigger wage and she merely assists you. Self employed is you only - no matter what

Vince

A business plan, projections etc need to be submitted. BOI will have a look at and decide whether viable or good idea.
I have had contact with some advisors who also show another way and that is by using your home country company  and set up an offshore company in mauritius. Check out GBC1 - global company 1 (where local business makes a maximum of 15 % of the home company"s turnover. Alternatively, same offshore story but domestic company in mauritius where local domestic makes more than the home company. A local ""director"but not shareholder is appointed. No investments required.

The advisors say the self employed is not really worth it if you can rather pursue these. Approximate set up costs for GBC1 is about 5 k dollars and domestic much cheaper (can be done by local accountant) about 2k dollar

vince

Interesting stuff! Thanks!

Dear Sir,

I am afraid that you can still be a self-employed even if you are owner of any type of enterprise as long as you run it yourself.

To open a business here you have  law to respect , there are several criteria that you need to follow. You can obtain them either on BOI website or you look for consultant to do the job for you or with you.

Doctors, lawyer dentist are of the profession so called liberal profession but the are also self-employed if they work for themselves.

if you want advise please contact me

The self-employed should not be in a 'commercial business'. Self-employment refers to professionals with qualifications, working in a liberal profession (consultants, lawyers, medical consultants, etc.).  You cannot operate a 'business' in this category, but a 'profession'.  Be aware that if your project is exclusively based on commercial grounds, you won't qualify under this category.

You do not get a 'wage' in self-employed status. You get revenues from your clients for professional services.

According to the documents from MRA, you can have a commercial business as a self-employed. Very mixed info...

The BOI web site is very clear in its definitions for retirees, investors and self employed and the relevant detail for each

If business could be made under self employed, most people would choose this over the heavy conditions for Investor.

The MRA documentation takes into account Mauritian naationals who are not concerned with BOI conditions. The self employed definition that prevails in foreigners situation is that imposed by the BOI in the exclusive context of an Occupation permit

I have set up business for Germany. Running a bar is business and requires an investor visa.

Hey Tom,

I see you more on the net then in the bar :-)

Even for me it's a pain to start something here. Especially because my wife is Mauritian I have to channel everything though her.

Even my contacts here in Mauritius that work for the MRA say the BOI-page is up-to-date now,

It would be good see some more expats here on the forum that can share their experiences with starting up their businesses.

I found Vincent's post quite interesting. I might use me still existing company in Belgium to set up something else here. I'm just not sure about the technical aspects en tax benefits I could get out of it. Taxation in Belgium isn't that great for the self-employed people...

Hi

As far as I have been informed, if a domestic company then the local tax of 15% applies. ie) no relief from the DTAA (double tax) agreement with certain countries. This is under the GBC1 where only 3 % would be paid.

Ok.
Yes as presumed, Belgium has a double tax agreement with Mauritius.

Good Morning

Yes you can open a Nice Restaurant -- It will work if the Food is GOOD and The service is excellent .
There are a few specific places that you can open a BAR / RESTO

Contact me ON

[email protected]

Hey guys! Im an expat who is married to a mauritian. I have opened up my business here too. And i was just in boi office this early morning to ask how can i bring my brother here as well. So there are two ways for my brother and for you too, Tom; 1-investor: if your annual turnover will be more than 4million rupee then you must have this permit by providing 100thousands dolar at the beginning. 2-self employed: if your annual turnover will be less than that, then you go for self employed permit by providing 35thousands dolar to boi office. But with this permit, your business must be having 600 thousands rupee for first two years and third year it must be 1.2 million rupee turnover.

So Tom, for you to open up a bar here, you should apply for self employed permit.
And for your partner to come here as well (like my brother case now) you got these ways; 1-you go to ministry of employment and request for foreign recruit  (this is such long and painful process) 2-you go to boi again and apply for 'professional' permit for her. Her salart must be 60 thousand rupee or more unless she is not IT skilled person. Then it can be 30 thousand rupee salary only. But all these ways will be hassle for you, they have to first investigate your business place and you need to convince them why you must bring foreign worker since there are locals here to do same work for you. And these things will take of course at least 2 3 months.
And for tax issues, this is related to Mauritius revenue authority.

I dunno if i miss anything, hope this could help you.

Cheers!

Jio

Thank you so much! I can also marry my girlfriend so she'll also qualify for a residence permit ;)