Mauritian descent....

I would like to know if I can obtain a Mauritian passport due to the fact that my mother was born in Mauritius.  My mother married a South African and died before she could go back to mauritius. I only have a copy of her birth certificate. I would just like to know what my options are and if so would my husband an child be able to follow suite.  Her family still live in Mauritius but I only ever had contact with her brother years ago and would love to meet her family. Before Internet and email we used to write letters and have been trying to find the rest of the family but it't not so easy.  I would love to know how to go about all this and if I can obtain a passport.

Off topic but i love your username.

Hello Ispywithmylittleeye,

Welcome on board  :)

Check out the following link, you will get relevant infos : http://dha.pmo.govmu.org/English/Mandat … NSHIP.aspx

Best of luck,
Bhavna

Yes,you do qualify. :) With regards to your family Idk :(

Hi guy's

Thanks a mil for the info, I will be emailing them... :D I can only hope and try.... :thanks:

Cheers

Ispywithmylittleeye.....

did you get any feedback??

Hi howzit,

I have been trying to get all the documents together before trying to apply, I have a written death certificate which is stamped by Home Affairs & I only have a copy of her birth certificate.   I am so unfamiliar with everything that I need, and thought  I  would get everything together and then go.  My only concern is that I was born in 1971 and I was told that anyone born after 1968 cannot apply,  so I need to make quite sure of my facts before pursuing this.  I just want to know if my son and my husband will also be able to apply if I do get a passport etc. I don't quite know what is holding me back but I want to be 100% sure first. Not sure if that makes any sense!!!

Thanks for the info. I am also trying to find out on behalf of my mother. Her late mother my grandmother was born in Mauritius in 1920. We came across her original birth certificate yesterday. I have emailed but not sure how to go about this???

I would love to help, but I am just as uninformed, but there was reply to me from other very helpful users on this blog, maybe you should contact the Mauritian embassy directly. I received and email stating I must check the website, but it's not very specific in detail about extended family etc.

sorry, I hope you get the information you need, if I get more I shall certainly let you know...good luck....

Ispywithmylittleeye wrote:

Hi howzit,

I have been trying to get all the documents together before trying to apply, I have a written death certificate which is stamped by Home Affairs & I only have a copy of her birth certificate.   I am so unfamiliar with everything that I need, and thought  I  would get everything together and then go.  My only concern is that I was born in 1971 and I was told that anyone born after 1968 cannot apply,  so I need to make quite sure of my facts before pursuing this. I just want to know if my son and my husband will also be able to apply if I do get a passport etc. I don't quite know what is holding me back but I want to be 100% sure first. Not sure if that makes any sense!!!

PERSONS QUALIFIED AS MAURITIAN CITIZENS
A person becomes a citizen of Mauritius either by birth or by descent
BY BIRTH:
(i) A person is a citizen of Mauritius, if he is born in Mauritius before 1st October 1995, of either Mauritian or foreign parents
(ii) A person is a citizen of Mauritius if he is born in Mauritius after 1st October 1995 and if either of his parents is a citizen of Mauritius.

BY DESCENT
A person born outside Mauritius is a citizen of Mauritius under section 20(3) and 23 of the Constitution if either of his parents is a citizen of Mauritius by birth .

Depending as to where you were born and when  and if your parent(s) were born also in Mauritius , then you are eligible.

Hi thank you so much for this information this really helps me.  My mother was born in Mauritius in 1934 and I was born in South Africa in 1971.

Hi CindyMargo, did you see the reply I got...hope that helps...PERSONS QUALIFIED AS MAURITIAN CITIZENS
A person becomes a citizen of Mauritius either by birth or by descent
BY BIRTH:
(i) A person is a citizen of Mauritius, if he is born in Mauritius before 1st October 1995, of either Mauritian or foreign parents
(ii) A person is a citizen of Mauritius if he is born in Mauritius after 1st October 1995 and if either of his parents is a citizen of Mauritius.

BY DESCENT
A person born outside Mauritius is a citizen of Mauritius under section 20(3) and 23 of the Constitution if either of his parents is a citizen of Mauritius by birth .

Depending as to where you were born and when  and if your parent(s) were born also in Mauritius , then you are eligible.

I did thank you. Just not sure cause my gran left Mauritius in the 1940's to South Africa and only went back on forth on Vacation. I haven't received any info from the Embassy as yet so I am sure my mom will have to go see them.