Coqui

While the Coqui gently put us to sleep in Puerto Rico and is a simbol of PR, it seems that this little loud but harmless small tree frog is causing all sorts of issues in Hawaii. Not only that but it is being hunted down. Seems that the population per acre of land is much larger than the Coqui population per acre in PR. It is even affecting their property value.
Hard to believe that such a tiny frog that harms no one can cause such problems elsewhere.

You may want to look at this article. http://flip.it/HhRtJ

I read about... ten years ago!

Very interesting...I had no idea!

I guess we didn't notice the sound of them, perhaps we need to get out more.

Hi Sitka, not sure if you mean in Hawaii or PR.
During the last few years I notice less of them where I stayed in PR compared to say.... 10 years ago.

Both - but don't recall hearing the frogs -  here in CT we have lots of frogs and they sometimes make noise.

I think a puertorican took the coqui to Hawai!!! It was not me!!!  :D

I actually love to hear them ;)

When the Puerto Ricans move in (Frog or otherwise) there goes the neighbourhood and the property values, LOL.
:o

Hey even the frogs in PR have to feed their family, so the Coqui are moving to the states, specially Hawaii where there are more free bugs. However they are meeting with some discrimination and crime against them. :P

Last I heard (or read), they (the Coqui) stowed away, in cargo containers... which is how they got to Hawaii. I cannot say for sure, but that is the guess the writer put forth.

mac00677 wrote:

Last I heard (or read), they (the Coqui) stowed away, in cargo containers... which is how they got to Hawaii. I cannot say for sure, but that is the guess the writer put forth.

Probably in a cargo sent by Adlin20 but he is denying it.

ReyP wrote:
mac00677 wrote:

Probably in a cargo sent by Adlin20 but he is denying it.

:o:o