Accommodation near Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital

Hello!

I've been offered a job at SCGH for at least 12 months and will hopefully be making a move to Perth in the latter half of December. I've been looking things up online for places to rent (one which is preferably within walking distance to the hospital). I've also come across comments from other people mentioning the need for local references to be able to rent. I'm aware that the area surrounding the hospital is fairly upmarket and prices tend to be high(er).

As most agencies do not endorse online applications, would it be better for me to find somewhere to stay on a short term basis in the first instance (? weeks/months) and then look for somewhere else to stay in the long term?

I'd be grateful if anyone could give some insight into this matter. Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!

doc420 wrote:

Hello!

I've been offered a job at SCGH for at least 12 months and will hopefully be making a move to Perth in the latter half of December. I've been looking things up online for places to rent (one which is preferably within walking distance to the hospital). I've also come across comments from other people mentioning the need for local references to be able to rent. I'm aware that the area surrounding the hospital is fairly upmarket and prices tend to be high(er).

As most agencies do not endorse online applications, would it be better for me to find somewhere to stay on a short term basis in the first instance (? weeks/months) and then look for somewhere else to stay in the long term?

I'd be grateful if anyone could give some insight into this matter. Any ideas/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum.

Whilst waiting for replies please take the time to read through the posts in the forum categories list, upper right hand side of this page.

Rental costs are high in Perth so you would be best to look at short term rentals whilst you look at other prospects.
Have you considered sharing as this would keep costs down.

Also take a look in the housing section in the green banner, top of this page. You can also place a free ad there too.

Maybe when you start work and get to know a few people they may have suggestions.

Hello stumpy!

Many thanks for replying. Very good ideas indeed. I have been on the flatmates.con.au website and have had a look at a few places that are on offer. I've also enquired from a few property agencies etc.

Anyway, just to give you an update, I've found a (potentially) suitable house near the hospital (Shenton Park area), with a weekly rent of 375 including bills. In your experience, does that sound like a fairly good deal? Other houses within the vicinity are around 350 - 450 (some unfurnished). I am aware that rents are significantly cheaper if I decide to houseshare with other people.

Thanks again.