Number of white Haitians in Port-au-Prince

I'm white and I would like to live in Pétionville, which is near Port-au-Prince. I am wondering, how many white Haitians live in the P-A-P area? I would like to know because I don't like looking different from everybody else, and I am concerned for my safety being white. I know there are some white Haitians, but just curious how many could be found in this area of Haiti.

Lol. Why?

If you're a Blan and don't want to stand out then Haiti is probably not the place to live. The highest concentration of blan in Haiti is PV.

I wanted to respond to this as well - mostly echoing terrillcurtis. You wouldn't be asking the question if you had actually spent time in Haiti. So what is it, you have a job offer? Yes, even in PV you will be a drastic minority. You will be called blan and that is largely associated with GOs (USAID, UN, etc) and NGOs (Red Cross, MSF, etc). You will be called it all day long, and it's meaning can be anything from positive/grateful to the constant begging to the pure insult and negativity of their (rather justified) feeling of constant occupation, which can include theft, kidnapping or murder. I still maintain that the latter ones are of greater risk to wealthy haitians than to a blan and I have never had such trouble (aside from being robbed once - by one of two friends, never could finger which one). So - stand out you will and you'll feel it every day. How well that goes for you depends on you - mostly on whether you treat them as equals, learn Creole and make a strong effort to live in their culture and not "above" it. Walking into Haiti as a blan, whether for a visit or certainly to live, usually starts with a strong desire to make the world a better place. If you are there, you can also fall in love with Haiti, with the culture, the people, all of it. But you will always stand out.

As a comment: you should already know that there are haitians who are even whiter that you are. As far as I'm concerned, the real difference will be what you will be bring down there, not the color of your skin, they are used to that...

One advice: don't act like foreigner, be relax and live the same way you used to live in your country: live as local, if you ever pretend that you are better than them, you will learn a lesson the worst way ever, because they are haitians, because of what your ancesters did to them, they are deemed to hate you and they won't hesite to run off with you. Remeber: there is no security there.

I wish you luck.

I commented already, but based on other responses I'm going to say what I thought in the first place when I first read your message. It doesn't sound like Haiti would be a good place for you if you even asked that question. That was a seriously racist loaded question which is pretty bad anywhere but to bring that to a place where you're the minority? Sorry - don't go - you'll be miserable and people will be able to tell. They will treat you as you asked for, you will be in greater danger, you won't be able to do anything positive, if anything you'll be propagating their stereotypes on white people in the same way as there are stereotypes on black people in america. Don't go, please. You're hurting those of us who do go there looking at each other as fellow humans.

I agree...being in the minority is a first for many North American visitors to Haiti.  At times I "forget" that I am caucasian...easy if you relate to others as "humans".  I think this person's discomfort would be obvious and might, as a result, put him at more risk.

LOL !  I sometimes "forget" I'm blan.

I don't think Philippe (the OP) should be discouraged from visiting Haiti to see if he would like to live there - always bearing in mind that it's reckless to fix one's sights on living anywhere foreign without visiting it first. His post didn't cry "racist" to me, at all. I'm prepared to take his question at face value - although I do wonder if he has had much experience in crossing social boundaries. They're much more of an obstacle than racial or colour barriers, in my observation. It's all about respect.

In our twenties, my wife (now) and I backpacked through much of the Middle East - overwhelmingly in the slums, because of our limited budget. Invariably, we were treated with the courtesy that is more common in the lower reaches of any society than in the higher. Respect is what carried us through, as it has sustained us in every place we've ever lived or visited. Here's a piece from my blog on our travels in the ME, by way of illustration.
http://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/2012/ … -t-10.html

So, Philippe, if you can feel respect for people at the very bottom of the food chain, then your attitude will give you a freedom others will envy. (Except in serious criminal refuges, needless to say!)