Anyone brought a cat to Mauritius?

Hi there...

Looking for people who have moved to Mauritius with their cats...just looking for some advice on how to do this...flights, procedure, quarantine, etc.

Not sure if this helps any, but we are coming from Taiwan.  We will be going to South Africa first, and then to Mauritius about a month or so later. 

Will probably send my cat straight from Taiwan to Mauritius...just not sure exactly how to do this? Do I need a pet courier (?) or can it be done myself?

Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Hi P-pixie
I can only speak for moving dogs but guess same would hold true for cats.
I would suggest that you get a professional moving company involved especially as you won't be here to meet your cat when it arrives.  They will also be able to organise the flights for the cat, ensuring the correct travel box etc is used.

There can be upto 6 months quarantine - it depends on where the animal comes from, and sorry I don't know rules for Taiwan.  If Taiwan is rabies free it may only be a month in quarantine.  There is a long detailed list of injections and tests that must be carried out in the months prior to the move, these MUST be done and properly certified by a gov't registered vet.  Make sure you have copies of all the certificates that go with the injections etc.  I have posted earlier on a link to show what the Mauritian authorities require for an animal to be allowed into the country.  Sorry I am racing out door at moment so can't find it for you.
Good luck, any questions feel free to ask more.

Thanks Kiwicelt!

Things are not looking so good at the moment for bringing my cat:(

The main reason being there are no direct flights from Taiwan to Mauritius. I have managed to find a pet moving company that can do the in transit from Johannesburg to Mauritius - but trying to find someone who can do the Taiwan to JHB....but I am not giving up just yet!

Hi

we have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a cross ridge-labrador
are these breeds allowed in Mauritius??

Hi again

Has anyone moved their kids from a SA government school into an international school in Tamarin?
my twins are in grade 3 currently and we looking at starting the new year in Mauritius
is the transition hard for the kids,

I moved my cat from the UK in July.  I used a pet exporter in the UK and an importer in Mauritius.  They talk to each other and organise everything for you.  I highly recommend Mr Hurry of Airpet Relocation as advertised here.  He is brilliant and managed the entire process from start to finish.  Speaks very good English, responds to e-mails.

Quarantine from the UK was 5 days, but may be more from Taiwan.