Rental Car Insurance and an Accident...A story

So i just got back from travel in Panama (23 Oct - 1 Nov) after a productive business visit regarding an agricultural initiative that is still  "tabu."...I had scheduled a rental car from dollar rent a car in Tocumen with full coverage and went on my merry way. In Santiago Veraguas, I decided to park my car in an authorized parking in front of a cantina which means if there are parking lines drawn, you can park there. I left the vehicle to go shopping and upon my approaching my vehicle ( a Kia RIO) the men at the cantina were all looking at me kinda' strange. As I got closer to the vehicle i saw impact damage on my rear bumper. Naturally i ask if anyone saw anything...no one replied. Then I said, "let me rephrase that, If anyone has any information on what happened, they will receive un agradecimiento....immediately a gentleman pulled out his cell phone and showed me a pic of the actual hit & run vehicle with a license plate. I gave him a 5 dollar bill and thanked him. I called the rental car rep who told me not to worry since I had full coverage but i needed to go to the police (transit division) and fill out a "choque y fuga" (hit & run) report. You'll be required to write down the details (Spanish preferred) and once complete, they'll tear off the bottom half as proof you did the report. it is that piece of paper you'll have to turn in when you turn your car in....Here's the catch:

- You will be cited to appear in court provided you don't have to leave earlier than the court date. If you do have to leave, the rental car company WILL charge your credit card $180.00 for a lawyer fee to represent you in court..they don't tell you this, but it happens. Or you can pay $10 bux and do a power of attorney (poder) to have someone else represent you in court for what it's worth. Happy travels!

That's useful info to know Hidalgo - and frankly it does make sense in a way.  It is the only way the insurer has a hope of collecting from the maleante and it is consistent with how such a thing might be handled other places as well, except in the case of very minor damage perhaps.

Totally concur with your reply.....
Cheers!

H

Thanks for sharing your story.  This just reconfirms our decision not to rent a car.  We were in a car accident last year and the driver had asked us to go court with her, but we had to return to Canada before the date.  I never did hear how it turned out.  Think we will stick to a taxi

Good choice if stayin' in the city...Although I prefer and love the interior, I have to rent...however, i'm upgrading to purchase a repossessed vehicle from the bank with "take over payments" and park it with my in-laws when not in use....Thanks..

Cheers!

H

Interesting, how does one go about purchasing a repo from the bank?

..workin on that but my personal approach is that my father in law will use his credit to obtain a repossessed vehicle and I will maintain the payments by giving my father in law a bank card from my bank to withdraw the monthly payment via ATM at $4 a transaction versus the 20 to 30 dollar fee moneygram or western union charges! Thanks..

H

Yes, i have bank accounts here and live here full time now.
My question is where do you find repossessed cars to buy?
I have not heard of this in Panama.

Gracias,

James Bradley

More to follow on this...I have a family member in Veraguas looking into it..stay tuned....

thank you, take care

next time do not park your car near or in front to a cantina area, you should know that people leave with alcohol n their bloodsssss