Work & Living Opportunity in Mauritius

Hi,

Our Bahrain based company is having a new project in Muritius which is the New Airport Extension.  They are offering me and my husband to work there.  I want to know if there is only one International airport in Mauritius? Where is it located? Is it in the city proper? Is the location near to any of the hospitals, schools, supermarket? 

I also want to have knowledge on the following:

1. ACCOMODATION: Where can I get a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa option of with swimming pool and garden and parking? How much is the average cost of semi-furnished and furnished villa? Is the water and electricity, tax inclusive? How abour flats?

2. MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION: What are the means  of transportation?  How much is the minimum fare? How much if we will get a car rental? 

3. EDUCATION:  Is there any Philippine School?  Does the school offers British or American Standard?  How much is the school fees specially for kidergarten?

4. FILIPINO COMMUNITY:  Do you know any Filipino  Community?

5. TAXES: How much is the government tax?  What are the things they consider to have taxes?

6. FAMILY VISA:  We have our 3-year old daughter with us, how is her Visa should be applied?

7. HOUSEMAID VISA: We are planning to get our nanny from Philippines?  What is the procedure and requirements?

8. FOOD: Is supermarket or wet market all around the places?

9. BASIC SALARY:  How much should I expect from my company if I will be in Management level?  Also for the IT Admisntrator?

10. CHURCH: This is very important to us.  We are Full Evangelical Christians, and I want to know if there is any Flipino Christian Churches that we can join with?

I hope I can get good and practical information.  Thanks.

Hi Jamice,
kabayaan and Mabuhay!!!
I am an Indian now living in Mauritius for almost 4 months. I used to work for PAL once and I speak fluent tagalog. If you check the previous post you can get all the information you need. There are no Filipino Schools and no Filipino community. There are Cambridge English Level schools and your child should do fine. Mostly every one in Mauritius speak English and you will enjoy living in this island as it resembles some of your islands in Phil. There are very few Filipinos in Mauritius and there is a Baptish church with English service and some Filipinos are part of it. I can give you the contact number of those Filipinos so that you can call them for more info.

Let me know if you cannot find any info that is not available in the previous posts.

Terence

Hi,

you should have a look to the Mauritius expat guide, it might help ;)

As Terence said (thanks :)) you should have a look to the other discussions in the Mauritius forum

All the best,

Julien

Please let me know their contact details.  Thanks.  By the way, where are you working now?

Hi Julien and Terrence,  I just want to ask if there is any Bowling arena there?

Hello Jamice,
I recently asked the same question about a bowling arena in the French forum, but unfortunately never got any replys. So I suppose there is none.
Just out of curiosity, which is the company of your husband? I used to go quite often to Bahrain to "breathe" :top: when we were in Khobar (KSA)!!! and hé, my daughter-in-law is also Philippina (she will very soon be working in Dubai (coming from KSA also).
Welcome
Arlette

Hi Jamice,

I will PM you the contact details. As for me I am working as a General Manager for an Inbound and outbound tourism company.

jamicekirs wrote:

Please let me know their contact details.  Thanks.  By the way, where are you working now?

I heard about one bowling in Curepipe, Manhattan, but I don't know if it's open or not ...

You should also have a look to the other discussions in the Mauritius forum, we've already answered to almost all your questions (wow your list is quite long)

Hi Arlette,

My husband is working with Saudi Designers based in Bahrain.  He is the IT Administrator there.  I was once in Dubai for 3 mos but I finally settled here in Bahrain then suddenly an opportunity going in Mauritius opened up.  So we are still trying to find good information that will help us in decision making.  Are you currently working in Mauritius?

Hi guys,

Just want to inquire if there is any Fitness First Gym or any other fitness centre?

There are plenty of GYM's and fitness centre. I am too a member of a GYM. Mauritius is not a backward country and you will get whatever you want over here except for your Filipino community and Filipino food.

jamicekirs wrote:

Hi guys,

Just want to inquire if there is any Fitness First Gym or any other fitness centre?

1) You can get a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa almost anywhere on the island.Location will drive price. closer to the beach more expensive. I would recommend Tamarin, Black River, Flic N Flac.

2) Cars are expensive. Be ready to pay for a new very compact car 600,000 Rs. Used cars are still expensive.

3) Most private schools are Bristish Standard. No American Standard that I'm aware of. My friend started a private school Level 1, 2 based the best mixture of education.

4) No

5) 15% Flat tax

6) Your work permit will cover your dependants.

7) Not going to happen. You could apply for an occupation permit for your nanny. You will have to set her salary at 30,000 Rs minimum per month to apply for permit.
She could come maybe for 3 to 6 months and fly back for a couple weeks.

8) Supermarkets are around. Europes and America markets are better stocked.

9) As an Expact you should ask for at least 45,000 to 75,000 Rs per month. The average worker in Mauritius is around 6000Rs per month. But most workers do not have to pay for housing(inherited) and a car. In order to get a OC permit
the salary must be a minimum of 30,000 Rs.

10) We have a church in the north I belong to. But there are over 50 Christian churches in Mauritius. There is a great one in the south.

well  i just want to  come  over but ho  can  i join you  guys  am from uganda

Does anyone have any information on Game Theorem?
I am negotiating with them for a possible developer position.

Thank you.

ML

I know abt game theorem a bit...

Great. If you have additional information of any kind please forward it to me at mlatiolais(at)satx.rr.com.

I will not share your information with anyone. I am simply trying to obtain as much information as I can to assist me in making this important decision.

Regards,

ML

ML > We are on the same boat i guess. Even I'm in the midst of negotiations for a position at Game theorem....I've got very limited info on the company from the web....let's see what comes up....:)

need i a visa from mauritius to visit there? cause i want to go there in december

bose wrote:

need i a visa from mauritius to visit there? cause i want to go there in december

Hi Bose,

Please see my answer in the other discussion where you already posted a message and please respond to it, so that we can give you the proper information.

See the discussion here by following this link

hey guys. i am a south african who would love to move to mauritius. unfortunitely, i don"t have enough funds to buy into the r.e.s scheme. i would therefore like to start or buy a small buissiness to " get my foot in the door" i have currently got a construction buissiness, but are willing to try something new. is there anybody who can give me advice on where to start looking or knows of someone looking for a partner with a " bit of cash" please let us know. johan

Hi,

I am a Indian want to set up my own recruitment agency in Maurtius can anyone help me wht is the procedure and is this business line a lucrative one to start with ...

Hi im a filipina and would consider to work in mauritius. Do we have filipinos here?.. pls give me ur facebook account. Or just leave msg here's my email [email protected]

Ch de los Santos wrote:

Hi im a filipina and would consider to work in mauritius. Do we have filipinos here?.. pls give me ur facebook account. Or just leave msg here's my email [email protected]

Hi
I once had a Filipino friend here, I guess she's on vacation. I will send you her contact once she get back .
Goodluck

Hi thank you so much..

Hi Ch de los Santos

You're welcome ;)