Heading back to the U.S.

Namaste,

My Nepali wife and i have been in Pokhara again now for 4 months.  Our original plan was to return to Nepal last September, but after the Earthquakes of April and May, we returned here in July.  It has been a most interesting journey this time.  We were able to help some Nepalis directly with financial contributions.  But after breaking my right foot twice, Un-official Embargo/Blockade, No Petrol, No Propane, No Medicine (or waiting at the airport for customs tax payment, on free medicine, going to Nepalis who really need it), NO PEACE (in places), and certainly no Never Ending Love (in those places), and the craziest drivers on the globe, we are both ready to return. 

It is an interesting time, what with the India boarder challenge, and the opening of boarders by China, a new constitution, there is much change going on in a country and culture that really doesn't welcome change with open arms.   I'm looking forward to seeing this unfold. 

Everyone is aware of the graft, corruption, payoffs and greed that underlies some government officials.  Is there a Mahatma Gandhi anywhere in the Nepali Government that can bring Peace back to Nepal for the Nepalis?

Over 8,000 dead from earthquakes, thousands injured and even more left homeless, and someone lets free medicine, sent by other countries to help, sit at the airport, waiting to pay the tax.  I feel sick.  Hopefully SOMEONE will be able to do something.

And through all of this, the Nepalese people continue to smile.  How do they do that?

As I slept outside with other earthquake survivors and now this, being stuck in our village for 2 months, there hasn't been one moment that I believed I'd be happier, or better off, in the US.

Things I'd miss the most about Nepal:

1. Surprise visits from friends.
2. Having such an abundance it warms my heart to be able to share.
3. People who accept life without acting like victims.
4. Real food-not GMOs.
5. Butterflies, eagles flying overhead and children playing outside.

I know there may come a time when that changes for me. But for now I see this time as a new beginning for Nepal. The Nepali will come through this and keep on going. I see this as a special time for Nepal, a new beginning.

I know this isn't something you decided on a whim. It is even more annoying and frustrating than usual now in Nepal, so going back is probably a good option for you. Please let us know how you transition life back in the USA.

You are so right, dear MadagascarNow!

I myself would love to stay in Nepal till I conk off. Its been 26 years now that I am staying here and I have no regrets at all. For me the 'imperfect" life where I am fully in control of my actions is the greatest adventure imaginable. Its something my home country the "overdeveloped" Netherlands can never offer to me.

I only regret that I must go back to there soon due to my failing health and urgent need for medical care. I do this only because I do not want to be a burden to my Nepali friends. They simply could not afford to pay for my medical bills.

Once I am back in the Netherlands I still can do a lot for Nepal and my friends here. So I hope :)

As a disable vet, my medical care comes from the v.a.  I have had 2 open heart surgeries over the last 10 years.  We will return to Nepal, and build a home for our Nepali family.  Our son and daughter, and their families, are still in Nepal.  We will return to live here permanently.    I just pray the issues can settled while we're away.   

Dutchhajurba and MadagascarNow, thank you for your input, and for what you do, and have done for the people of Nepal.  My frustration is evident, and i apologize for sounding harsh.  People are suffering from man made causes (political) and there's seemingly nothing i can do to help move "rotting" medicine, as the Kathmandu Post stated, from the airport to the people.  But that's my issue.

I too will miss our friends, the pure food, the examples of how to "be" in stressful situations.  I will take my Nepali wife back to the U.S. with me.  And there, I will always have Nepal.

Hope you come home soon and all goes well in the US.