Renting an apartment as a tourist

Oldladyman
Because I didn't want to give up my American car, 6 months at a time has been how I lived for the last 2 years. So yes, 6 months at a time is doable. It depends on your relationship with the property owner and how secure you feel. I have had no problem, and trust my housekeeper completely. At this point I rent for a year at a time.

No one has ever asked me for copies of tickets when I have traveled in and out of the country. Their interest has been solely in my passport and visa.

I rented a place yesterday the landlord didn't even ask for my name never mind my immigration status.

I have flown into Mexico a number of times on a one way ticket and no one ever said a thing! This is a complex discussion but just to add a couple of points: Cancun is the cheapest place to fly in and out of, if money is a concern. The next day or even the same, if early, you can just take a bus over to Merida. Also, from stories I have heard and brief experience transiting through, I would be much more concerned about safety in Belize than in Mexico.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Always appreciate hearing how others are navigating the Mexican landscape as immigrants, long-term visitors or whatever else we can be called.

We did exactly this and had no problems

hola como esta ..i have been living in mexico for 20 years off and on last 6 years i have traveled all over mexico in my van .i get mexican ins. us plates and then go to a border and renew my 180 permiso on van and self no problem ever. i like guatamala better than belize .are jerksmost of time.happy trails and travel .fly from mexico city to juarez airport turn in permiso . take taxi to hotel by airport then next day return to mexico city . senior flighte  some time of year are only 100. us round trip i stay at hotel in juarez by airport 3 miles away for about 25. dlls. you can message if you want privado

By the way, I have rented apartments on a monthly basis a number of times from sites like craigslist and airbnb. Usually the electric was included, although there might be a surcharge for a heater, for instance. And no one cared about my status, they assumed I was OK - and that is not their responsibility, in any case. So one can start out there at least without a problem. I have never done the six months thing in and out though. It does not seem to be much of a concern unless one has reasons to be refused (although the crackdown mentioned is a bit worrying). I would suggest, that if you are not going to do the residente process, keeping a minimum with you, and building up a good relationship with your landlord. I met an American woman once in Turkey who had been refused re-entry into Greece after a day trip to Turkey (it was her 91st day). She had rented something for a shorter term than you envisage, but all her stuff was there - the kind of scenario you fear. She gave the ceramics she had bought to the landlord to compensate for the trouble, and the landlord packed up her suitcase and sent it to her in Turkey. (Of course the American woman paid the freight bill). It is not an easy situation, I know but if one is in it (and I am thinking of doing the same) one should realize that there is a certain if slight risk involved and plan accordingly. IMO!

Yes, Jean. I hear you because I've been here for a full week now and am starting to separate the good advice from the bluster in search of a real plan:) And it ain't easy. Thanks so much for sharing. Do appreciate the lessons these experiences provide.

I think a good general advice would be - first - to get there! :) Find a temporary solution in advance through the internet - dont commit for too long until you see it - or once there, through ads and agencies. Take it one step at a time instead of projecting so much. Look around for a more permanent solution, get to know your landlord and others - both expats and locals. There is nothing more valuable than good acquaintances! :) I guess one could also store one's stuff in a storage unit, well boxed, with the possibility of forwarding service in case you get stuck out of the country. Of course, if you plan to stay away for a few days and continue in the same apartment, that seems silly! But one could rent for six months at a time corresponding to the tourist visa time. Once in a place, realities are more real! And a helpful community could be a great support. One cannot expect to live on a tourist visa and have the security and simplicity of a resident visa, it just does not work that way! C'est la vie! Another approach would be to keep it light - most apartments are furnished, and gringo apartments are often very well furnished, even reading lamps etc - and explore various  parts of the country. This could be fun and wonderful too! So flexible thinking and plans will assist you in approaching this prospect.

oldladyman where are you in mexico what part

I took the advice of some experienced posters on this forum regarding apartment hunting and it worked out very well.I checked into a hotel for one week during which time I walked the areas i thought i may like to live in,looking for signs posted in windows.After three days I found the right place.A small apt with natural light my own bathroom located in the historic district.$1500 pesos a month all bills included with internet and no léase.I doubt very much if you will find somthing like that online.So,there is a lot to be said for just walking around with your eyes open

Good for you! That does not always work but it is worth a try. That is why I suggested getting something temporary - online for those of us who need a place to go to when we arrive - and then searching on the ground. Of course that sort of place is generally not online, the owners do not know how to do that, for one, or they dont speak English. Sometimes traveling I stay in nice places and think it regrettable that worthy landlords are not getting what they should because they are not in the cyber age. Places that are not as nice, and more expensive, are successful on airbnb because renters can find them. Talking to people, making friends, etc, helps too. Of course speaking Spanish or whatever language of the realm you happen to be in helps a lot too. I suppose that was in Zacatecas? Congrats!

Yes in Zacatecas,i was fortunate to find a place in such a short amount of time.It will tide me over until i can locate a bigger place.I have checked with local realtors and in my opinion better deals are to be found by word of mouth or just walking in areas that suit.This place gives me a base to work from without spending big money on hoteles or hostals.On the other hand it is so cheap I may just stay put.We shall see,but the preasure is off and thats the main thing for me.

In Zacatecas, finding the right place is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  Walking the neighborhoods (or hiring a taxi by the hour) and getting the word out are probably the best bet.

Sounds right. And true in many places in the world. As I said above, nothing beats knowing people! You might just grow fond of your little lair. And there is a great relief, once the pressure is off, that is for sure!

I understand what works in some places may not work in others.The author of the post is in Mexico so things may be a little different there.From my experiences in Coatzacoalcos and now Zacatecas walking the streets and talking to locals is the way to go.Just like to thank the folks on this forum for the great advice.

Zacatecas is not in Mexico? :) Or do you mean the City? Of course in the enormous capital it is quite different! And certainly much more costly, although I suppose one could choose a neighborhood like Roma or Coyoacan and walk around. However, the competition is much more intense! Ceriainly a challenge! As for the original poster, could you just start renting that place you like for six months and see how it goes? Do they require a year lease? First time in and out, the percentages are good that you would get back in...very good....

Within Mexico, the country, Mexico means the DF.  The country is mostly referred to as la republica.

Yes, of course, I know that. Since I am far away, I had a momentary confusion. But despite years in Mexico, and speaking Spanish, I have never ever heard anyone refer to their country as "la republica!" I hope the original poster is happily settled or will be soon in Cuernavaca!

All I can offer is my Mexican friends, mostly originally from the DF used the term la republica back in the 80's.  I'm not sure what I have heard over the last 7 years.

"En el pais?"

Puede ser.

I just renewed my 6 month tourist visa on March 4th @ the San Ysidro port of entry. Took all of 15 minutes and paid $390.00 Pesos. No problems or "frowns" from anybody! Was actually treated Better by the Mexican Officials than most American Border Patrol cops who  are gruff and feel superior to most travelers.

Did you renew your visa without leaving and re-entering? Was this a process you were told was available to everyone? Or did you just get lucky? Please provide more info if possible. Would be greatly appreciated

Oldladyman wrote:

Well yes, initially it seemed like border runs were routine and simple. But the more I read the more it seems that entering and re entering Mexico can lead towards being denied entry. I have also read that you can only exit and 're enter twice per year as per tighter controls

Where did you read this? It is so far from the truth that it is sad. Now, after saying that, quick turnarounds might rise suspicion, but that depends on the INM agent. Years ago, I crossed in the early morning and returned in the afternoon to catch the bus south. Some agents permit a few hours, some like a day, others like three days. If one denies  you entry, go to another entry point or wait for a shift change. In the years I did this, I was never denied.

If you have a good landlord and you always pay your rent on time, your stuff will be ok.

I have replaced electrical plugs and switches myself, got the handyman who lives next door to repair the leaky toilet or faucets, got paint from the landlord and painted my apartment or hired some to do this. Hey, it's either this or a raise in the rent. Think about it.

Good to know Joaquin. We'll see what happens with me...thanks for sharing.

Joaquinx  is right, except for some three  day funny business at Belize, and a little funny business about accepting a credit card the first trip in,, I have never had a problem going back and forth. None of it was a flat out denial. just differences in agents and some money making I suspect.

I had little trouble getting a house to rent . If you can pay the rent you will be fine.

Hey Travelight,how long did you live here on the tourist visa?

Oldladyman wrote:

Good to know Joaquin. We'll see what happens with me...thanks for sharing.

Just remember there are internet trolls on every forum and they get a thrill in disinforming/fooling people and are usually looking for a fight. If you doubt anything someone posted but convincingly relates [long story] it has happened to him/her and many others he/she knows but no one else has seen it before, just ignore it.

Three years Stinkyboy.

I went from Mexico to the USA to do some grocery shopping and when I came back the Officer told me my 6 month pass expired the day before. He directed me to window #5 and I surrendered my old 6 month pass, paid the $390.00 pesos and was given a new one. 15 minutes tops.

***This Service is Available for Everybody***  Just keep your nose clean and remember that you are a "Guest" in Mexico. Too many Gringo's say things they know nothing about or leave out Reason they were denied a renewal.  Play the Game, BUT Don't PLAY games.

As for the people questioning  how often you can cross over without being considered suspicious Remember: Every day people cross over and return to go to work. Just don't do anything stupid and don't be afraid to ask an Officer from either side, if you have a question concerning the validity of your trip.

Well, that is true if you are live very near the border. Although avoiding doing stupid things is always a good idea!

Aren't you supposed to turn the pass in on your way out?

Well yes, you are right , but I noticed if you don't take the main border exit in Sonora, that they have such heavy traffic they might not check. If you are walking across that might be even more likely. When I crossed they gave my passport a brief glance and not much more. Nothing like the main border crossing.

I enter and exit Mexico through the airport in Mexico City. Sounds like the border thing is more relaxed than the airport...

Noooo, but let me make sure I understand what you are asking. The SENTRI pass is used @ the USA Customs Border crossing. The Re-entry into Mexico pass is good for 6 months (180 days). Issued by the Mexican Government. It is date stamped and the Officiales look at the date and count the months. This is, from what the Mexican Customs  people have told me, renewable as long as you are not on their list for doing "cagey" things. I'm too old to play games with 2 countries and Yes, I do live in Tijuana by the beaches so crossing over is only a 20 minute trip for me.

I never had to spend more than a couple of minutes at any border crossing, land or air...

Well oldladyman,

It depends on the border, but yes, over all using a border rather than an airport has been much less of a hassle. The last time I returned via plane to Cancun, I thought I would never get out of the airport. There were hundreds of people in line, I had to wait a long time there ,and then a long time to demonstrate I had nothing to declare, and of course wait for my luggage.

Crossing at a border, I just showed my paperwork, they asked about things to declare and I was through and on the other side. It took about a hour total and they were very busy. The airport took over three hours total, mostly standing in line.

Hmmm...good to know...when my 180 days is up. But to enter Mexico through a border crossing, I would have to enter through Texas or Cali by car or bus, correct?

x