PLDT & what appears to be INTENTIONAL broadband choking activity

This is both a "Mega vent" and what I hope to be a informational rant.  It has been over a year since I have had PLDT 5-Mbps service (or being billed for it w/o receiving it).

The first thing I want to try to do is put this rant in more simple terms and not fill it with tech-speak.  My background includes very specialized training from the US Army where, at that time, it was all classified above the SECRET level during the 70's.  Yes, the US Army had "Digital Subscriber equipment" at that time (my MOS was 34F20).   After earning a 2nd masters in IT a few years ago, the ability to understand both equipment, APN, Subscriber equipment, (i.e., back office - DSLAM) and speed protocols remains very efficient. 

To the rant details:  For those of us that have PLDT DSL, we are seldom able to see the speeds we are paying for and here is why:

1.  PLDT selects a "port group" for normal customers where they route all of our connections to the internet from Manila to Hong Kong, back to Manila and then out to the internet. This special routing is done by PLDT connecting to the Hong Kong Internet eXchange (HKIX) through its private VIX (Vitro Internet Exchange).  This is not normal or the standard under the International ISP rules where each country is required to have their own IX (Internet Exchange) account and use an "Unified IX". 

Why is PLDT doing this?  PLDT wants to appear as it's own IX and therefore does not want to share it's traffic through peer networks (which is PACNET here in Asia). All others here except PLDT/Smart use the unified IX for the Philippines called PHOpenIX.  If connected in accordance with international standards, PLDT/Smart would connect through PHOpenIX which would in turn pay the fees and be connected to PACNET (just like Japan, S. Korea and all others customers that enjoy 20-50 Mbps connections to their homes as the norm). Instead, PLDT has created a "fake backbone" as if it was the official IX for the PI.

Note:  The fiber-optic submarine network has speeds ranging from 17 Terabits up to 31 Terabits.  South East Asia is reported to "average speed of at least 10mpbs+ (S.K at 13.3mbps, Singapore at 17mbps, Hong Kong at 65 mbps)". 

Here is the deception on us the end-users:

1.  PLDT tells us to dial 171 for tech support on home DSL (177 Business DSL) and as you walk through the prompts you reach a point where you are told to do a speed test.  That steps is to select  "www.speedtest.net" and under server make sure to select "PLDT Makati".  Once we do this, we are routed to PLDT only and not the world (where the www resides).  The end result is a false performance test by PLDT doing a "INTRANET" vs. "INTERNET" test.

2.  Any report of slow speeds is negated by this false speed when you talk to the rep.  The point is that we should receive 80% of what we pay for.  In my case I pay for 5 Mbps and if the test shows 4 Mbps, PLDT will just say that is within spec. 

Understanding what has happened with this test - By testing our connection from one point in the PI to another point in the PI, we are remaining within the PLDT structure.  These test results will alway she higher and faster than a real internet test and produce a false fast ping and high speed result 100% of the time.   When we remain within a corporate structure, that is called "INTRANET". 

Understanding how to get a true world internet test - While in the window of speediest.net, click on "new server", drag and drop the green square box to the USA and watch the map as each section of the region moves as a map.  In my case, I always test to Los angeles California where 4 green button show up (I select the Times Warner Server due to is being 100% fiber backed). 

As you mouse over each button, it will display the local servers available in that city or region.  Once the desired server is selected, the test will run and you will se a true speed between your Philippine location and an actual server in the USA.  This represents a true "INTERNET" test.  There is no World Wide Web between Philippine locations.  However, there is a www between Philippines and the USA. 

As of writing this rant today, my speeds to Makati server are:

Ping: 31 ms, Download: 4.87 Mbps, Up .67 Mbps. 

When the test is repeated 30 seconds later with a connection to Los Angeles, my speeds are:

Ping: 299 ms, Download: .73 Mbps Up: .44 Mbps.

Clearly, I am paying for 5 Mbps service, being directed to go by a false high speed result while receiving very substandard service.  Although my situation has been escalated, I encourage all PLDT customers to check their speeds as described here.   

Do this test and call PLDT tech support (171) and start demanding your actual purchased speed.  Either PLDT has advertised for internet service or they have not?  You must do this test first or risk being sold a load a male cow manure, as you demand proper service. 

Sorry for the long rant here but I am sure I am not alone with this topic… Please share your thoughts and or experiences.

PS.  In another rant, I will inform people about the problems and solutions for best cell service here in the Philippines.  Hint: Be ready for 3G & 4G (LTE) and new 5G spec review along with key equipment selections.

Wow,  thanks for the insights. You are awesome. Is there any way you can sue them?

Maybe in a class action?

Lovely rant with lots of tech speak, but what can you actually do about it?
Since the answer is always 'nothing', it's better to avoid the stress related heart attack and just accept it.
I have to be totally honest, as long as I can use skype and stream a film on youtube, I don't give a rats what my ISP claims.

I suspect the majority lack the same interest.

You are in Tagatay at the moment with:
Your Speeds to Makati server (66km away): 
Ping: 31 ms, Download: 4.87 Mbps, Up .67 Mbps. 

Your Speeds to Los Angeles server:
Ping: 299 ms, Download: .73 Mbps Up: .44 Mbps.

Mine, in Gold Coast, Australia right now:

Selecting a Server in Brisbane. This server is provided by GCOMM Pty Ltd, and the result shows my speeds to their server in Brisbane (73km away):
Result:
Ping: 44 ms, Download: 7.20 Mbps, Up 3.87 Mbps. 

I then select, as you did, a server in California:
Result:
Ping: 230 ms, Download: 3.35 Mbps, Up 1.05 Mbps.

Running a test to a server in the USA is much slower than to a test to a server based just 70 kms away.
Very similar to yours, especially the ping differences, but as I pay for an Australian 24Mbps service, my overall speeds are higher.

If I test my Australian connection to Manila I get:
PLDT: Ping: 262 ms, Download: 3.40 Mbps, Up 1.00 Mbps.
Globe: Ping: 222 ms, Download: 3.90 Mbps, Up 0.77 Mbps.

This is  a great info site for speed tests: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/speed-test

It does say that it is critically important to select the most appropriate server, and it may take several attempts to determine the best server available.

i did experience same with PLDT and their tech.team could not even make a test to another server ,i did show them how to do it ,another good test is TESTMY.NET
however ...PLDT is pure scam company (4 years constant scam behaviour) and reason why they are able to keep going is simple . it is not so many who understand how they fooling people ,many of expacts dont ,so how about pilipinas themself
good topic by contributer and there is fact what should take serious ,does it help ,no i think so,so long time when pilipinas themself accept its ok when can surfing in facebook sometimes nothing will change

I get a different result with every server I try, but skype and streaming work whatever the new numbers tell me.
If the link is fast enough to do what you want, do the numbers matter?

I have a very similar background both in wire line and wireless. inside the central offices and switches and outside in the field programming and troubleshooting equipment. That being said, your research only goes to show what was already suspected with regard to PLDT/Smart internet service simply based on my wife's and my experience with PLDT in Imus. Customer service was horrid. DSL was at or about dial up speed and techs knew nothing more than their question and answer sheet told them. Excuses were the norm and promises for repairs seem to be made simply to get you off of the phone. When we left Imus, our phone line had been removed due to some building construction on adjacent land and my wife went to cancel and they complained that our contract was not up yet, my wife provided proof that the phone line no longer existed and we had already paid for a month without even a cable to the house, they sheepishly agreed to disconnect with their apologies and hopes for continued service at our new home.
We are currently using Globe wireless through an outdoor pole mounted antenna and as you know, proximity to towers is key to having a decent signal and speed (as well as good equipment at the tower). We are close to two towers and a third not much farther. We were satisfied with our Wi-Fi connection and our speed while paying for 1mbps service most often tested at 1.5 and outages were and are very uncommon. We were recently moved without charge to their new LTE network and told that if we did not move to the LTE network we may be without service as the Wi-Fi network is being decommissioned. I was leery and with cause, the new LTE now gives us a slower speed and sometimes very slow, choked? Maybe. We were told that we could upgrade to 3mbps and 30Gigs of data for P1299 a month, currently P799 from an old Wi-Fi promo with no specific data usage. We told them no thanks, we would think about it.
I am currently monitoring our speeds and data usage daily through the LTE router and an app on the computer. I told my wife we would compile this for a month to determine speed and usage as we may upgrade only to find we are going over the 30Gig limit and then have to pay more to continue the 3mbps speed or be reduced to 1mbps or less per the Globe website unless we pay extra for continued 3 mbps service.
Test results to the Time Warner Server in LA
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4851189322.png
Download 0.98Mb/s  Upload 0.73 Mb/s  Ping 180 ms
Test results to Batangas Globe server
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4851198104.png
Download 0.94 Mb/s Upload 0.69 Mb/s Ping 30 ms
Test to PLDT server in Manila
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4851204540.png
Download 0.98 Mb/s  Upload 0.44 Mb/s Ping 275 ms

Tests were done through a home wireless router within 5 feet of the laptop, though a direct connect would not likely make much difference. So we are essentially getting what we are paying for at this time though the ping through the PLDT server was pretty bad.
Thanks for sharing the info and hopefully this will add to your data collecting efforts. We will continue to monitor speeds and data usages through two sources for another two weeks which will give us a baseline for 30 days for our usage with an Ipad, a laptop and some through a smart phone.

Thank you all for your information and incite.  I am planning to check out Tagaytay next year, this will be one of my concerns.  The connection we had in Ilocos Sur was good enough for my purposes,  realizing nothing happens in the Philippines at USA speed.  This is usually good for me, love slowing down, acting retired, like nothing has to be done NOW!

@ TeeJay - Thanks for the response and I hope all the others understand that my point was to share info & help.  I realize that some ask what to do about this and maybe I was not clear.  Each person should know their speeds (as you do) and demand PLDT to provide the speed purchased.  Under no circumstances should any of us be mislead by the PLDT directions to basically perform an "intranet" speed test, was my main point.  After standing my ground with PLDT, I am hopeful that Telstra (Australia's leading telecommunications and information services company) & San Miguel Corporation will complete their joint venture talks to bring Telstra here and let us all get world class service. See more at: http://www.smh.com.au/business/philippi … jbmun.html

I think a $1 Billion investment by Telstra will bring the needed competition to PLDT/Smart and result in much better service for us all. See more at:  http://www.philstar.com/business/2015/1 … pine-telco

Regarding Globe 3G/4G:  I think as you noted, that location to the tower is part of the story. 

However, with Globe using a combo of 1800-band 3, 2600-band 7 and 2500-band 41 LTE frequencies, there is no way to match each different Globe area with any one selected equipment, which is not set up for DL on 1800-band 3 and UL on 2600-band 7 for example.  Most of the routers and phones here can't handle the mixed up and down frequencies.  So 4G/LTE can be much slower here due to intentional mixed-freq applications that are not meant to match the chocked off and locked equipment they sell with the service. 

Smart plays even more games with the user not being told which LTE freq & band will be used (i.e., 850-band 5 or 1800-band 3 or 2100-band 1 LTE service).  This is in addition to the already mentioned rant on Smart/PLDT.

This is why one of the best phones to ever use here in the PI was the iPhone 4s from Verizon.  This was the first phone to have both CDMA and nearly all global GSM 3G & 4G bands already loaded.  Now the iPhone 5 & 6 from Verizon also are loaded with even more LTE bands vs. ATT or the Euro/Asian model iPhones.  I have delayed a new iPhone for many months waiting to see how the 5G spectrum will be handled with a new iPhone released for that upgrade.

mugtech wrote:

Thank you all for your information and incite.  I am planning to check out Tagaytay next year, this will be one of my concerns.  The connection we had in Ilocos Sur was good enough for my purposes,  realizing nothing happens in the Philippines at USA speed.  This is usually good for me, love slowing down, acting retired, like nothing has to be done NOW!

You are welcome!  Tagaytay is really being developed fast and it seems Smart/PLDT, Globe & Sun will have greater demand as the population grows here.  Most of the main areas along the ridge seem to have decent service.  However, it will not be easy getting clear info from PLDT since they seem unable/unwilling to provide service availability to an area unless you provide them with a near landline number.  Only then can they tell if DSL or Fiber is near.

Fred wrote:

I get a different result with every server I try, but skype and streaming work whatever the new numbers tell me.

I think part of your seeing new numbers tells you that when or if you get the service you are paying for, will it be there when you need/want it.  If you are comfy with the numbers you get, then it may not be worth doing any more in your case.

In my case, it matters since I am programming websites for hosting in the USA and must have reliable upload speeds to get the new files loaded into the hosting servers.  There is a principle here that is part of my focus and actions.  Regardless of our retirement activities, our retirement $$ should not be just taken as if we did not earn them (for many years) or as if others are entitled to scam/cheat us.  So, even if I did not do the programming I do, I would still address this with PLDT in the same way I have.

mc81 wrote:

i did experience same with PLDT and their tech.team could not even make a test to another server ,i did show them how to do it ,another good test is TESTMY.NET
however ...PLDT is pure scam company (4 years constant scam behaviour) and reason why they are able to keep going is simple . it is not so many who understand how they fooling people ,many of expacts dont ,so how about pilipinas themself
good topic by contributer and there is fact what should take serious ,does it help ,no i think so,so long time when pilipinas themself accept its ok when can surfing in facebook sometimes nothing will change

I understand your point very well.  I will not attempt to say what or how much a local vs. an expat may already know.  This is not an easy topic to share with others unless we all went to the same training together or share very similar histories.  What is hard for me to do is to put it is words that do not invoke so many terms that others may not use/understand (expat & locals inclusive).  I do feel that it is possible that some corporate leaders may count on points raised in this very topic you raise, to keep the people uninformed as the revenue stream increases.

@ABC Diamond - IT sounds like you have ok speeds and Pings until you hit the PI.  Of course your ping to LA will be longer but imagine if your ISP routed your traffic to HK back to AU and then back to the internet to get to LA?  Imagine if you were routed to an in-country test loop that never left the country (resulting in an reported internet speed 4X greater than what you are getting) as you are charged 5X greater based on these false robust numbers reported as your internet speed??  That is my point with the rant.

sirrobcentral wrote:

Wow,  thanks for the insights. You are awesome. Is there any way you can sue them?

Maybe in a class action?

The legal system here is not like the USA and as a guest "Joe" here, I would not plan such action.  This article gives the reader greater insight on the topic you raise:  http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/views-and-an … na-legarda

Calif-Native wrote:
Fred wrote:

I think part of your seeing new numbers tells you that when or if you get the service you are paying for, will it be there when you need/want it.  If you are comfy with the numbers you get, then it may not be worth doing any more in your case.

Not so much 'comfy with the numbers' as 'don't care about the numbers'.

I used to be all up my own arse about internet speeds then I realised it just didn't matter as long as I could do what I needed to do.

One pointless headache less, or am I too chilled out and numbers really matter, even when they don't make the slightest difference to me?
If so, I will immediate check speedtest.net and call my ISP who advertises "Up to X mbps" and have a really good rant if the numbers are lower than suggested in their adverts.

I could call them on skype as my internet is easily fast enough to cope with that, and prey for a small drop off in connection quality so I can prove my point.

PS - Can anyone recommend a good chemist where I can buy Prozac?
I don't need it at the moment, but I might very well after I pointlessly increase my stress levels.

Just as a side note.  When I mentioned 5G (LTE-A) I was referring to what is called "LTE Advanced" which is capable of 300 Mbit/s vs. the current max data speed on LTE(4G) of 150 Mbit/s.  I suggest that all persons wanting to be ready for this speed bump here in the PI, that they get the iPhone 6S or 6S+.  These are the only iPhone capable of LTE Advanced. 

Of course there is one or two from HTC, Nokia, Motorola and many Samsung & Huawei already released with LTE Advanced, but don't expect them to be easy and or cheap to get here in the PI.  Lastly, Smart/PLDT has already been testing LTE-A since August 2014.  http://smart.com.ph/About/newsroom/pres … e-advanced

TeeJay4103 wrote:

Tests were done through a home wireless router within 5 feet of the laptop, though a direct connect would not likely make much difference.

Your tests might be showing the results of your wireless routers wifi capability.  The test results will show the slowest link in your entire line: Computer, Router, Local IP supply, end of line IP data supply.

I also noticed that tests get slower when kids get home from schools in the area..  Indicating the sudden influx of more users on the local data supply

ABCDiamond wrote:
TeeJay4103 wrote:

Tests were done through a home wireless router within 5 feet of the laptop, though a direct connect would not likely make much difference.

Your tests might be showing the results of your wireless routers wifi capability.  The test results will show the slowest link in your entire line: Computer, Router, Local IP supply, end of line IP data supply.

I also noticed that tests get slower when kids get home from schools in the area..  Indicating the sudden influx of more users on the local data supply

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Actually in this case the routers capabilities are not a factor, The brand new LTE / 4G  router has the capability of providing for faster speeds though we are simply getting what we are paying for. The tests were done with only the laptop in service though speed tests results remain consistent even with the use of the Ipad playing a youtube video. So in our case the users have little effect. We are also fortunate in as much as we have no geographical obstructions when it comes to line of sight with the tower we are using and the attenuation of the signal is not a factor as the tower is very close, though higher the frequency the higher the attenuation which to some degree can be compensated for with the towers equipment and antennas. Our stats look good and apparently the microwave being used at this site is in the 6 Ghz range and from what we can see at the tower the cabling and antennas seem to be in good shape so their is also little effect on the signal even in heavy rain which can be the bane of many microwave sites using the 2 and 11 Ghz frequency ranges

Our stats: Our signal
RSRQ (dB): -6dB RSRP (dBm): -96dBm RSSI (dBm): -73dBm SINR (dB): 19db

Our Globe LTE is using the 1800Mhz band and because our antenna is pole mounted and the tower is close we have a good signal as you can see in the stats.

The following is a chart of frequency allocations in the Phil:
Globe Telecom
GSM Frequency Band - 900 MHz/1800 MHz (Dual Band)
3G Frequency Band- WCDMA (UMTS) - 850Mhz/2100 MHz
UMTS/3G 1900(uplink)/2100(downlink) (Dual Band)
4G (live LTE, WiMAX, HSPA+, test, license) - 4G Globe HSPA+ WiMAX 1800Mhz (Launch Date: September 2012)

Smart Communications
GSM Frequency Band - 850Mhz/900 MHz/1800 MHz (Tri-Band)
3G Frequency Band-WCDMA (UMTS) 2100 MHz
4G (live LTE, WiMAX, HSPA+, test, license) - LTE HSPA+ WiMAX 850/1800/2100Mhz (Launch Date: August 2012)

Sun Cellular
GSM Frequency Band - 1800 MHz (Single Band)
3G Frequency Band- WCDMA (UMTS) 850Mhz/1900Mhz/2100 MHz
4G (live LTE, WiMAX, HSPA+, test, license) Testing (Plans To Use The LTE frequency of Smart Communication)
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Some other factors aside from what was discussed is simply the frequencies ability to penetrate the environment. Hot spots with no external antennas in a concrete and rebar home with reflective glass can have a bad signal in the house but much better outside, so a pole mounted line of sight antenna improves performance considerably if the distance to the tower is reasonable. Many areas such as malls and office buildings make use of repeaters throughout the building to improve cellular and data performance whereas without the signal would in some places in the building be very weak or non existent.

Sorry if this was long winded but for me I find it interesting and knowing a little about how it works for me does not give headaches but eliminates them. Hopefully with the new Telstra / San Miguel company things will improve when it comes to reliable internet and cellular service and having had PLDT's DSL,  Smart bro and Globe tattoo, for us Globe is consistent as far a dependability on a daily basis and we are receiving what we are paying for which is 1Mbps.

If anyone is interested this is a good review of the Iphone 6.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1897 … nnectivity

I used to be all up my own arse about internet speeds then I realised it just didn't matter as long as I could do what I needed to do.

One pointless headache less, or am I too chilled out and numbers really matter, even when they don't make the slightest difference to me?
If so, I will immediate check speedtest.net and call my ISP who advertises "Up to X mbps" and have a really good rant if the numbers are lower than suggested in their adverts……….

I do understand your view and it was not my intention to cause stress to any member here.  It sounds like you are very pleased to not be informed with details and that is your right.  I am not wired to lay back and say or do nothing in the face of wrong and perhaps in another 20 years I may have a more "relaxed" view on such topics. 

However, at this point in my retired life, I still enjoy technology and intense research activities but loath scammers and thieves, be they at the personal or corporate level.  We are all "expat neighbors" in a sense and as such, I do not want to see my expat neighbor robbed where I say/do nothing to alert, warn and or inform him/her.  If and when the neighbor says don't tell me or inform of such stressful events (much like you have), I will respect that and not inform/update that person. 

However, we are in a blog situation where each individual can select what they want to post and or read.  I am sure any member that finds this topic to be to stressful can ignore the topic or not visit the strings of posted remarks and opinions.  Again, my goal was never to stress any fellow expat here but to just inform all.

Calif-Native wrote:

If so, I will immediate check speedtest.net and call my ISP who advertises "Up to X mbps" and have a really good rant if the numbers are lower than suggested in their adverts……….

I do understand your view and it was not my intention to cause stress to any member here.  It sounds like you are very pleased to not be informed with details and that is your right.  I am not wired to lay back and say or do nothing in the face of wrong and perhaps in another 20 years I may have a more "relaxed" view on such topics. 

However, at this point in my retired life, I still enjoy technology and intense research activities but loath scammers and thieves, be they at the personal or corporate level.  We are all "expat neighbors" in a sense and as such, I do not want to see my expat neighbor robbed where I say/do nothing to alert, warn and or inform him/her.  If and when the neighbor says don't tell me or inform of such stressful events (much like you have), I will respect that and not inform/update that person. 

However, we are in a blog situation where each individual can select what they want to post and or read.  I am sure any member that finds this topic to be to stressful can ignore the topic or not visit the strings of posted remarks and opinions.  Again, my goal was never to stress any fellow expat here but to just inform all.

Agreed and I also like to tear into things until I find a satisfactory answer, it may not solve the problem, but at least it has been answered to my satisfaction. That's just me and I enjoy it and I also enjoy your always well thought out and informative posts.
I see many subjects pop up here that I have little or no interest in and if I have nothing constructive to add that may be of help, I simply don't reply and by no means is it ever my intention to ridicule another poster, though I have learned to tread lightly.
Thanks again for the info.

TeeJay4103 wrote:

Sorry if this was long winded but for me I find it interesting and knowing a little about how it works for me does not give headaches but eliminates them. Hopefully with the new Telstra / San Miguel company things will improve when it comes to reliable internet and cellular service and having had PLDT's DSL,  Smart bro and Globe tattoo, for us Globe is consistent as far a dependability on a daily basis and we are receiving what we are paying for which is 1Mbps.

I find this interesting too. As you say, you are getting basically what is being paid for, ie:  0.98 for a 1mb service.

Pretty good and consistent results. The only limitation being the choice of service. 
I wish I was getting near enough 100% of what I am paying for (In Australia) ;)

I am getting almost 20% of what I pay for....  at best !!

ABCDiamond wrote:
TeeJay4103 wrote:

I find this interesting too. As you say, you are getting basically what is being paid for, ie:  0.98 for a 1mb service.

Pretty good and consistent results. The only limitation being the choice of service. 
I wish I was getting near enough 100% of what I am paying for (In Australia) ;)

I am getting almost 20% of what I pay for....  at best !!

If we decide to bump it up to 3 or 5Mbps, I may be singing a different tune. Will let you know if and when it happens  :)

………..I see many subjects pop up here that I have little or no interest in and if I have nothing constructive to add that may be of help, I simply don't reply and by no means is it ever my intention to ridicule another poster, though I have learned to tread lightly.

TeeJay, your post including antenna specs brought back deep memories of my dad when he would try to explain how he was adjusting his HAM & SSB sets… SWR meter in hand…. waiting for the tubes to warm up and become stable or his waiting for select day or night times for the best band is all a long walk back in history ….. wow thanks for that flash back.  I always enjoy reading your posts and your very structured answers/responses.  Although most are retired here, we do have much to contribute regardless of our age.  I am not well versed on antenna technology as you are, so thanks for adding the important points you provided.

Calif-Native wrote:

………..I see many subjects pop up here that I have little or no interest in and if I have nothing constructive to add that may be of help, I simply don't reply and by no means is it ever my intention to ridicule another poster, though I have learned to tread lightly.

TeeJay, your post including antenna specs brought back deep memories of my dad when he would try to explain how he was adjusting his HAM & SSB sets… SWR meter in hand…. waiting for the tubes to warm up and become stable or his waiting for select day or night times for the best band is all a long walk back in history ….. wow thanks for that flash back.  I always enjoy reading your posts and your very structured answers/responses.  Although most are retired here, we do have much to contribute regardless of our age.  I am not well versed on antenna technology as you are, so thanks for adding the important points you provided.

This is a little dry, but interesting with regard to riser cables, connectors, jumper and antenna testing using Pim testers. I would be surprised if this is done here considering the cost of the equipment, but they sure can pinpoint an antenna issue with amazing accuracy. If nothing else it may put you to sleep..... :sleephttps://youtu.be/u6HnqDE7loY

Hello,

Thank you for you excellent article. I have been complaining to no end about internet speeds in the Philippines, and Smart Communications in particular.
Internet speed is never what is advertised, as you point out, and to me that is equivalent to false advertising. I have even contemplated suing Smart Communications  in Small Claims Court!

Following your discussion I tried to access speediest.net, but have not been able to duplicate the experience you described in your article (i.e. click on "new server") because the "new server" does not show on the page. Consequently, I was unable to find a green square box.  Perhaps I made a mistake, and if you could clear this up for me I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Frank

Traveler3757 wrote:

I have been complaining to no end about internet speeds in the Philippines, and Smart Communications in particular.
Internet speed is never what is advertised, as you point out, and to me that is equivalent to false advertising. I have even contemplated suing Smart Communications  in Small Claims Court!

Regards,
Frank

If you are getting more than 12kbps, (kilobytes, not megabytes) then suing anyone is probably a waste of time.

Example of small print from the providers (and this is not only Philippines):

Minimum speeds of 12-48kbps may be reached at 80% reliability rate

just switch to globe broadband. Better service and much better speeds for your money

I have a 4G (LTE) pocket wifi. It costs P5,000 and comes with the words: Up to 42Mbps. I guess any speed is "up to" so technically the company is protected, even though the speed I get in Robinsons Condominiums is only 2-3 Mbps! Numerous calls of complaints to Smart Communications resulted in many apologies  over the past two years, but no improvement is speed.

Smart also promised unlimited amount of data traffic for P999/month, but abruptly changed its policy a few weeks ago and they are selling data in chunks like sausage.

Like the ad says, It is more fun in the Philippines!

"unlimited amount of data traffic" really means Unlimited at the best speed we can give you up to a reasonable amount, then we trim it down to 8kbps (or thereabouts).

The Globe unlimited internet was always unlimited up to 800mb per day.  They changed to the above recently.

However, this is not only limited to the Philippines.  The small print in others countries (Example Australia) also shows similar.

From one CA native to anther, good job. I am heading back to CA soon I hope. Even the worst day in the  Bay area is better than living in the Philippines.

dondee31 wrote:

From one CA native to anther, good job. I am heading back to CA soon I hope. Even the worst day in the  Bay area is better than living in the Philippines.

It's funny that you said "Bay area" because the Bay Area is so diverse. So you think the worst day in like  East Oakland or Richmond, in that residential area where the doors and windows have bars, the streets are not well lit and empty by 7pm even in the summer, where police officers have higher pay, is better than living in the Philippines. Okay . . . .

Good luck in California, especially with the drought and the possible water rationing.  Oh, hopefully, you won't have a terrorist wannabe in your area. I heard mass shootings can be quite deadly.

Try to loosen up the insulting attitude on Filipinos and Filipino culture. Because if you go back to CA with such an attitude, and say something about people of color, you can get mugged or sued. Warn your wife to never ever use the "N" word anywhere to describe dark skinned persons.

And tell the young wife to try not to feel uncomfortable when people look at her and try to quickly look the other way when the two of you are walking side by side. Filipino women, with their permanently tanned skin . . . attractive for a man who is more like her age or any age. And if she goes to work, the more she'll meet men her age. Anyways, have fun. And good luck. You'll need it.

dondee31 wrote:

How fast is the internet in the Bay Area ?

@ Frank,

Sorry I was off a few days due to a HDD failure….  I'm not sure why your speed test is not loading properly or the green box is not present/movable?  If your connection is real slow the server will time out on you. 

To prevent the "porting" of my speed test URL by server techs at PLDT, I don't tell them that I use two different test URLs.  I say this due to a test I ran when the tech asked me what URL I used.  When I ran the test from http://www.speedtest.net and did a log into my US webpage at the same time, it was faster.  Once the test was completed, surfing returned to a slower pace.  They do use special porting for selected customers that are not aware of which port they open just for that client. 

The official PLDT position is to use http://www.speedtest.net and test to Makati.  My suggestion is to test to another world location like the USA and compare.  Additionally, I use https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and just click on the "Los Angeles, CA" location.

I do realize that the wording of "up to" leaves a contractual compliance clause that makes it hard to have a viable court action in many countries.  However, my points raised with the PLDT management has been to 100% accept the 20% overhead they claim is normal (leaving me with 4Mb in a 5Mb service) as I continue to remind them that their ads and contracts are for "internet service" up to XX Mb. 

One additional demand I made was to get the Business Router instead of the typical home router.  No, I do not have a business account but it was clear that the typical home router was not capable of handling 3 iMacs and a MB Air. 

When I complained, they pointed a finger at the local DSLAM (digital subscriber line access multiplexer) located less than 2km away.  Once elevated to 2nd level, my ability to understand the DSLAM and servers was very much questioned by 2nd level support.  Sooo, I did take the time to explain that my job in the US Army was called DSTE Repairman or 34F20 and that acronym means "Digital Subscriber Terminal Equipment". After a long pause and the "for a moment sir", they reset my router.  When I then rechecked the router settings (via 192.168.1.1, Admin name and pw for PLDT router) I found that they had initially & continually capped it off at 2.7Mb, the questions raised then included:

1. How can I ever get up to 5Mb when you (PLDT) have capped my max router speed at less than 3MB?
2. How can I ever get world speed test results for "Internet" service when you (PLDT) are measuring speeds in this country only as far as Makati? 
3. Why are you blaming the nearest DSLAM as the cause when the speeds to Makati are always near 4.75Mb, 24/7?

Once you insist they list these issues in the ref. ticket, hey are forced to deal with these points when the person is able to demand a supvr/mangr.  Advice: Just stay focused on the chocked or capped router and or the "intranet" in-country test that they use as a global "internet" confirmation of our actual speeds.  In my router settings, PLDT was forced to increase my max setting to 6Mb so I could get close to the 5Mb I pay for.  This is on a router that has a max DL setting capability of 11Mb +.

I am not suggesting expats here need a certain background to get PLDT to listen. I plan to remain retired here so my investment in this process is long-term. I am just providing my particular set of bumps in the road.  However the main points (and without being to redundant here), are to please be reminded of the following definitions:
INTRANET = "An intranet is a private network that is contained within an enterprise."
INTERNET = "A means of connecting a computer to any other computer anywhere in the world via dedicated routers and servers."

As long as we test the PLDT recommended way, we are only testing our speeds within the PLDT enterprise and since Makati is not a global location outside of the PI, clients continue to be mislead about the actual speeds of their "INTERNET".

BTW Frank, send me your Smart number via a private note and will be happy to walk you tru the process of the speed test.

Here is what I was attempting to explain from within Speed test settings:

http://s392.photobucket.com/user/Calif- … %20Testing

IT is also my job and we cannot do anything about that. My download speed is from 0.1 to 8 Mbps, with an average between 1 and 2 Mbps and I pay 3.7K for 6-7 Mbps. I know that I'm in Philippines and I don't complain to PLDT, because they cannot do more. To have a better speed, I have to be closer to their hub in the city proper. It's like that. I know that, if I was in Belgium, I should have around 100 Mbps for cheaper price, but I don't care. I really prefer my life in Phils same if I really need and use Internet for my work. No Internet, no work, no money. But, I'm also structured for that. I don't do the biggest down/up-loads from PHI, but I use 2 remote workstations in my country to do that job. 1 or 2 Mbps is enough to work on remote, same for editing jobs (graphics, pictures or movies).

I don't understand how people can complain about that when the cost of living here is 3 or 4 less than in our countries. Of course, they advertise high speed and we receive low speed, but as IT men, we know why and why they cannot do more. We loose our time to complain. If I have at least 1 Mbps, I can work. If you cannot, maybe, it's better to leave PHI, because you/they cannot do nothing against that.

Soon, I will test fiber speed and I will see what I will get.

Ray61 wrote:

…… I don't understand how people can complain about that when the cost of living here is 3 or 4 less than in our countries. Of course, they advertise high speed and we receive low speed, but as IT men, we know why and why they cannot do more. We loose our time to complain……..

This is another very optional blog that all are entitled to read or ignore, to find it helpful or a loss (or waste) of their time.  My post topic was not about cost of living or general complaining.  When any country says to the world they are trying to improve infrastructures and want more to come to their shores for a better life or low retirement costs, I do not feel they are expecting the expat to leave his/her knowledge, history, expertise and life experiences back in the home country. 

Ray61, It seems you are saying it is ok to get screwed over by a Philippine ISP because the Philippine cost of living is so low, comparatively speaking.  So it is ok for expats to get robbed or pay 3-5X more because we are still saving in the end with such a low cost of living?   :huh:

I am also shocked to hear a person with an "IT" background say ISP's can't do more.  I beg to differ on the point that PLDT can't do more.  They can do more and select the client they will do more for, based on a combination of many factors. Those factors include profit margins and demand market pressures, where they act in a way that maximizes their profit/image first and services maybe 5th or 6th.  I encourage all (IT pros or not) to do some research on terms & topics like:

:dumbom: Blocking - Means; "may not block access to legal content, applications, services, or nonharmful devices."
:dumbom: Throttling - No slowing down the delivery of lawful Internet traffic, based on the content, applications or services.
:dumbom: Paid Prioritization - Providers can't favor some traffic on their network over other traffic
(as we all saw during the recent APEC conference in Manila where PLDT was able to connect all of the 8,000 delegates with a 8.5 Gbps connection while additionally boosting up to 100 Mbps for Wi-Fi services in major hotels in Makati..)  Source: http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2015/ … connection

How could PLDT do the above, if they were already doing their best for the typical Philippine customer; because ISP "cannot do more" ??? 

:top: Net Neutrality (i.e., all traffic on the Internet should be treated equally)
:dumbom: ISP chocking (i.e., blocking or slowing down your access to that content)
:one Reinstatement of the 2010 US FCC rules that provided basic protections for Internet openness by prohibiting broadband providers from blocking access to websites or apps or slowing down services.

In my case, PLDT started out with a lie that all of the lines were taken to my area.  That misinformation was debunked after a very polite but direct letter was sent to the President asking him why I need to beg them to give them more business. 

The terminal near my place was a 10 pair type with only 4 pairs being used at the time.  When I supplied the picture with ID location via email, 3 technicians were at my door the next day to see what I was highlighting. The availability of 6 pairs/lines was confirmed that morning and 1 of the 6 empty lines were assign to me.  All of this was after being told there was no service to my area, then only limited, then no more lines available over a 9 month period. 

All expats have a choice to make here and mine is not to belittle the people or the country in general, it is to expect to get what I contracted for in the Philippines under a PLDT contract (I signed and pay for with Philippine currency).  No more, no less!!

Again, any expat that feels my posts waste their time, there is no reason to read any post in which one feels "We loose our time to complain" or to suggest the person needs to leave the PI, so just please move on to another post of interest.

Thanks for your response and explanation!

Just to clarify things I am not having a problem with the speedtest.net website.  The problem is with speediest.net, because  it opens  as ww35.speediest.net or ww38.speediest.net and when it opens I do not see the green box you mentioned. (The box shows with speedtest.net and I am able to get the speed to/from Makati.) I get choices like "my speed" and when I select one I get advertisement from Globe!
I like the speakeasy speed test you recommended because I am able to select the end point for the test.
As always, I try to adapt to my environment and wait for the few months I will spend in the U.S. where I can be a speed demon, even though at a significantly greater cost.

Thanks again.

@ Traveler3757
It seems you were going to a different URL by mistake or a strange redirect.  Your post says you went to "ww35.speediest.net",  whereas the correct URL is: http://www.speedtest.net

Happy at least the other URL provided worked out for you.  Were you able to confirm your real world speeds with speakeasy.net?

@calif, When do you understand that people here doesn't have 2% of your background to understand what you are talking about? Maybe, you don't loose yr time to talk to PLDT, but sure, here, they are not able to understand you.  Yr main topic, is speed testing with speedtest.net. How many of them, can use it correctly? and to understand it? Some of them cannot write the url correctly! Do you think they understand what you mean with intranet and internet? About PLDT I mean. 

And any way, to have a good information from speedtest.net, you should run it (correctly) very often on the day and every day, to have a speed average. You know that this speed can change all the time, on the same day, particularly here. So, what are you trying to do? or to show? that speed in Phils is low? You know it and I know it, sure some of them know it too! But for many of them, 1 or 2 Mbps, can be maybe enough for surfing, youtube, emails... Maybe, these ones don't see that their connection is slow. And if they see it, do you really think that they will go to their PLDT office, or that they will call 171, 172... to complain? and then? You think that PLDT, will add a post here "sorry guys, we did not know, we will try to solve that issue". I know it's Christmas time, maybe you dream of a better world, of a better connection... OK, all of us, we hope that a day, PLDT will provide better connection, but for now, it's like this and all speed tests we can do, will not change nothing to it.