Air tickets to Philippines

Hi guys/girls
I'm married to a filipina and have just returned from bohol to the uk after being there for 3 months,I originally went to Philippines on a one way ticket, and a "dummy" onward ticket to Hong Kong which was the "throw away" ticket and just extended my visa ,I'm travelling back to bohol next week only this time I'm doing a return ticket
Does anyone know if I can book the ticket for my return date to be 28th December? From October 26? Effectively 62 days,and just extend my visa at the BI office as I did before or does the return date have to be 30 days or less ? I want to book my flight today or tomorrow but am unsure of the time limit on dates , if there are any
Regards
Roger

Hi Roger,
For me, I usually buy a throwaway ticket to Kuala Lumpur from Clark, I usually book the ticket as close to the 30-day mark as possible, but not exceeding the cutoff date, I have never booked  a throwaway ticket past the 30-day limit. Then go to BI and start the extension merry go round. I am from the USA so maybe my visa requirements are different than yours.  Do you fly PAL to London? Or a different carrier.

Hi
This time around I'm just buying a return ticket not a 1 way and a throwaway one that's why I'm asking about the return ticket date also I fly Cathay Pacific mainly I won't use PAL as I've heard to many horror stories about them
Regards
Roger

Roger
I have flown PAL the last 4 times non-stop to LAX never a problem. But to each his own, I have had a few guys tell me 
they never buy an onward ticket, and they have never been asked, but since the KL ticket is less than $40.00 why take the chance? I have no idea what they will do if you are asked and have none, I know they can refuse you entry. Not saying they will but they can. In case you change your mind, Air Asia from Clark to KL is less than $40.00 one way.

Roger,
Some airlines will give ticket validity for up to six months, Check out Qatar, Turkish Airlines and Oman Air You can renew your visa for up to six months I know that from fact.
Dinky

Hi dinky
I use Cathay Pacific do you know if they are ok with it? They do ask at check in for an onward or return ticket and they won't let you fly without it
That I know as they look every time I travel to Philippines I don't want to book a return flight for 62 days when the max is 30 without a visa even though I extend it anyway

Roger,
I think Cathay are strict, I flew with them once. Safer to use someone else.
Dinky

Roger,  get your round-trip tickets to your satisfaction.  Once you arrive here say nothing about your round-trip tickets. They stopped asking to visibly see your return tickets a few years ago because so many people have E-ticket.  Just say your E-ticket is for November 10th... They will then stamp your passport and tell you to enjoy your stay.  Try never to do  paper tickets.  The airline prefer E-ticket because they cannot be lost or stolen. Immigration knows this and never question you.  I only purchased a one way ticket from  Priceline for  $750.00.At the airport I simply told immigration that my return was in two weeks and I gave them a date and they simply stamped my passport and I moved on. 

Listening to these guys make me wonder how easily I could beat them out of thier money.  Find a  fool bump his head my grandma used to say.

Fly in on a one way  E-ticket.  Priceline or Orbit.  Generally you shouldn't pay that much. Then when you are ready to leave you just go online and book a cheap ride home. Flights leaving are cheaper when purchasing online from one of the many clearing houses online.

This way you leave when you want to. NO HASSLE

Nathan,
Are you sure about this? If you are I will quit buying a throwaway ticket, PAL always asks me for my onward ticket at LAX before they will issue me a boarding pass. So I just tell pAL I have a e-ticket?
Bill

I only ever get asked by the airline themselves at the check in desk not immigration in Philippines so
Surely they would want to see E ticket proof?

madhatter868 wrote:

Nathan,
Are you sure about this? If you are I will quit buying a throwaway ticket, PAL always asks me for my onward ticket at LAX before they will issue me a boarding pass. So I just tell pAL I have a e-ticket?
Bill

I am absolutely positively sure... How can they dispute with you about an E-ticket? I learned that from guys who have fiance's here and go back and forth they are always overstaying but paperwork is slow for Visas. I been traveling on one way E-tickets since 2013.

rogerjsy wrote:

I only ever get asked by the airline themselves at the check in desk not immigration in Philippines so
Surely they would want to see E ticket proof?

By

E-tickets are in your email only.  It's not even a ticket it's a number.  When you  check in its the number then bording pass.  I haven't seen an airline ticket in years. It's not that serious that immigration would make everyone traveling on E-tickets to log on to the web to prove that they purchased a flight out.

Nathan
Thanks alot.
Bill

Hi Madhatter, Same with me. PAL at LAX will not let me board with out an onward, or round trip ticket. I always buy a throw away ticket to Hong Kong for about 50 dollars to comply, as stupid as there rules are.. PAL claims BOI will fine them a lot if they dont comply with the onward  ticket issue. I will not try and tell PAL i have an e ticket because i know they will want to see proof, even an email with a number.I dont want any problems getting my boarding pass at the last minute. On my first trip to the Phil., i did not know i needed a round trip, or onward ticket to get my boarding pass. PAL made me purchase an onward ticket to Hong Kong for 400 dollars, there "cheapest" onward 1 way  ticket.I charged it on my credit card. They told me they would refund me when i showed them i had a return ticket to the states. They also told me to go to one of there offices when i got to Manila and cancel the ticket to Hong Kong, which i did.When i purchased my ticket a year later back to the states, they did refund my 400 dollars on my cc. I have experienced good service on PAL international flights, but will not use them here domestically, they suck and the service sucks. I use Cebu airlines  domestically with no problems.

There is no time limit on onward tickets.  You will be fine.

I have had onward tickets, out of the Philippines, dated a few months in the future.

Immigration never ask as you enter.
But most of the airlines ask when you check in for the flight going to the Philippines.

It's only the airline that cares, as it is to cover themselves in case you are refused entry and they need to take you out again.

What if your married to a Filipina do you have to have onward tickets because new law in PI if your married to Filipina you can stay up to one year and most airlines will not let you book return flight more than 6 months.

Buy a throw-away ticket like Clark to Kuala Lumpur for less than $40.00 USD on Air Asia. Then go about your business.

Check the Pope's itinerary before you assume you can leave anytime you want.  A few years ago I had to leave December 9 or wait until February.  Philippines is great that time of year, but I had other commitments.

Yep I over about 10 trips in the last two years I have never being asked to show my exit ticket when I arrive, but when I depart Aust for the Philippines they have asked to see it.

That is true ,plus if you stay over 21 days or more ,please go to BI to extend because they really get you at the airport. When you are asked to pay for overstaying even if it is 1 day over. It cost me almost 10k extra and the BI person told me the rate changed between me going out to get more cash and coming back. I went to get cash at 7:30am back by 8:am,he told the rate had changed. Paid it but learned a lesson will always extend and extend again before I get ready to leave. Just a thought

TLaff wrote:

What if your married to a Filipina do you have to have onward tickets because new law in PI if your married to Filipina you can stay up to one year and most airlines will not let you book return flight more than 6 months.

The difficulty there is that you don't get the Balikbayan Visa until you land in the Philippines, but you need to prove it to the airport that you leave from.

It all comes down to convincing the check in person at the airline.

Does a Visitor to the Philippines need a Return Ticket if they are Married to a Philippine Citizen?

A Balikbayan Visa holder, is a person who gets a special Passport stamp to allow them to stay in the Philippines, for one year, if they are married to a Philippine Citizen.  They get this stamp on ENTRY into the Philippines, not before.
Most visitors to the Philippines normally need a Return or onward air-ticket before being allowed to fly into the Philippines.  (I have read that the airline faces a $1,000 penalty if a passenger is found to be not holding an onward ticket)
Most airlines will NOT give return tickets up to a one year period.
So, does a Balikbayan Visa holder need a Return Air-ticket ? And if so, how ?
There are many questions on this, on various Internet Forums etc, going back for years, with various different answers.

A quote from the Philippine Consulate states:

Under the Balikbayan Law, a Filipino citizen's (including dual citizens and former Filipinos) foreign spouse and children are entitled to a visa-free entry to the Philippines and visa-free stay for a period of one (1) year, provided they enter the Philippines with the said Filipino and they have a return air travel ticket.
http://www.philippineconsulate.com.au/d … -note.html

This does appear to be the legal viewpoint.
Yes. You do appear to NEED a return/onward ticket.

http://www.in-philippines.com/balikbaya … quirement/

I just came back from Davao not a month ago, never thought about presenting them with a ticket as it was an Eticket. Yep, they asked and I told them how long Id be there. They said ty and I moved on, no fuss no muss!

Pbrook72 wrote:

I just came back from Davao not a month ago, never thought about presenting them with a ticket as it was an Eticket. Yep, they asked and I told them how long Id be there. They said ty and I moved on, no fuss no muss!

That's the difference between the laws and reality.  Not once have I been asked to show a return ticket on arrival in the Philippines.
But always asked at the Airport when leaving Australia, and once refused permission to board the plane if didn't buy one there and then.