Absence from work due to transport strike (legal questions)

Hello,

I will move and live quite far away from my workplace. I have not car.
I would like to ask
1) if I tell my boss I cannot go to work due to the transport strike, can he make a deduction from my salary?
2) if I tell him I will be late for a couple of hours or a half day due to the transport strike, (you know, U-Bahn and S-Bahn strikes are unbelievable), can I be fired for being late to work?

Thank you very much for all of you and your kindly help ^^

From a purely legal standpoint, you are responsible for being on time and can receive a written warning (and termination for a repeated offense) if you're late for work. After all, you know of a strike beforehand and can take car or taxi - and leave a few hours earlier if need be.
However, most employers would be more understanding and tolerant. Of course you will only be paid for work actually done, so you'd have to work longer on other days to make up for it or receive less pay.

Ms Immanuel wrote:

Hello,

I will move and live quite far away from my workplace. I have not car.
I would like to ask
1) if I tell my boss I cannot go to work due to the transport strike, can he make a deduction from my salary?
2) if I tell him I will be late for a couple of hours or a half day due to the transport strike, (you know, U-Bahn and S-Bahn strikes are unbelievable), can I be fired for being late to work?

Thank you very much for all of you and your kindly help ^^

YOU are responsible for getting to work on time, it's not the public transport systems' responsibility.

1. Yes he can deduct
2. Yes you can be fired

Romaniac

I'd just talk to the boss about the problem BEFORE the strike.
I'm sure lots of people will have problems so, if he's reasonable, there won't be a problem.
Perhaps not moving would be better if you know it will cause problems.

Wow, thank you very much for all of you!