Looking for a good language school to learn Thai

Hi, I've only been in Bangkok for a short time and want to study Thai. Can anyone recommend a language school in the Sukhumvit area? Thanks

Ross H wrote:

Hi, I've only been in Bangkok for a short time and want to study Thai. Can anyone recommend a language school in the Sukhumvit area? Thanks

I quick Google search found many such language schools in Sukhumvit area.

Thanks for the reply. I saw that there were a lot of schools on Sukhumvit but do you know which ones are good. I have wasted money in other countries in schools that promise so much but forget what they have promised after the tuition fee has been paid. Do any have a money back guarantee if I am not happy with the lessons? I know this might be a bit much to expect but I am always hopeful. By the way, a friend took me to Sukhumvit 38 last night...the food was really good and not expensive at 50 - 60 Bht a dish.

Thanks again

Always the optimist, if I find a school with a guarantee I'll let you know.

I think all schools have free sit in class, So you can go and try it, and see if you like the way they teach.
Be sure to join a school that use REAL teacher, And not like many school do, Use a person that Thai and speak some English, but have no idea how to teach.

Be sure you get the newsiest rule from Bangkok Immigration about what the NEED before they give you Extension after your first 90 days. This requirement are not the same as many school still post on the web.
So be sure you have the new requirement from Bangkok Immigration, So you can see if what the school you like to join, give you that.
Be sure to get it Bangkok Immigration, And NOT from the internet, As Bangkok Immigration have make the own rules set.

If you go to thaivisa (web page), you can read many get refuses there 90 days Extension now, and only get 30 or 60 days.
Some get refuses because the school the student use, only tell student to come 2 days a week, 2 hours pr time.
That the OLD Rule.
At Bangkok they want 4 days a week, 2 hours per day.

Some school tell new student that the ED-Visa / Extension is good for 12 month, That the OLD rule, now it is 6 month.

After 90 days when you have to go to Immigration for your Extension, you going to pass a test first.
That test you have to write Thai, Read Thai and speak Thai.
If you don´t pass the test, you only get 30 days, if you pass "okay" 60 days, and if you do it all perfect then 90 days.

I hope your ready for some real studying, As ED-Visa / Extension, Is not easy anymore in Thailand.

Again, Please get the new rules from Bangkok Immigration, Before  find your school, So you know for sure, That what the school tell you is correct.

Hope you the best.

Thanks very much for all the information, it's a great help. I'll certainly look into the visa requirements. I was not planning to get an Ed visa but you have given me something to think about.

Once again Thanks

If you don´t NEED the Ed-Visa / Extension, Then drop the language school for learning Thai.
It is a bad option after all. Out of the +15 teacher i have, only 2 was real teacher, even so the school told me they use real teacher before i signup. Language school change teacher a lot, meaning the new teacher might use other way to teach, meaning you start over every time.

Look into private lesson, look into join a Real school for 3-6 month. Look into university that have class for beginners like you, Not sure if Bangkok have, but know other city where university have it.

All other option the language school is better to learn from.
Yes i know i mean like go to real school, many days, many hours, plus a lot of home work.
But it is the best option.
All so befriend Thai people, So after school you can practice speaking / listing Thai.
The more you try, the better you become.

Kindly.

Hi all,

I am Thai teacher for foreigners and now having 5 students and i have enough time to accept 5 more students. Pls let me know if interested.

Hi Bhudit! Im interested in learning Thai language! I would start in January. Could you give some information in a private message? Thank a lot!!

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Digging up old thread
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

hi :) i go to the knowledge language school in Asok twice a week, i think its ok , the teachers r ok, and i was able to meet some interesting people there, the language is not the easiest but its fun.

I would suggest to Thai language Program of A.U.A
the natural approach would help adult learning new language easily and more fun plus the culture. 

Nationalities who has one tone language will have great difficulty to learn Thai language because there are 5 tones for Thai. It's like singing a song when you listen to Thai language.

Thai language can be divided into 3 categories, normal conversation with friends; business or elders conversation and royal conversation with the royal family.

Even writing Thai used different words for the 3 categories.

All foreign embassies in Thailand has trade secretary and military attaché and their staff learn Thai language from certain schools. Call your own embassy to find out as they will tell you and you learn better and proper Thai language especially if you are doing business.

But if you just want to know common Thai words to converse then street smart is the best. You know the slang and double meaning Thai words too.