Keeping busy.

Lena, I am more than happy to apologize if anything I wrote scared you or caused you discomfort in any way. 

Surely, you as a person who has traveled to other countries must appreciate by now, each country has their own set of laws…sovereign laws which is their right to establish and which is the responsibility of both citizens and visitors to respect and follow.

Indonesia is country which is very protective of jobs for its citizens.  With high employment, it should be, and its citizens who form the nucleus of its democratic government want it that way.  The consequences for violating employment laws in Indonesia are severe and costly.  As such, and in my opinion, it is also the responsibility for knowledgeable and experienced posters on this forum to be honest and truthful about this fact.  Anything less would be misleading and a gross disservice to the readers of this forum.

Once again, good luck with your decisions on how to “keep busy' in Jakarta. 

Cheers, Roy

"Some people forget that they are not the only people who know this country, know what is happening and how things work here."

Is there any particular reason why you feel so compelled to add personal digs (including to your own grandfather) over and over?  Do you honestly think that activity contributes to any discussion?   :/

Thanks. All i can do is feel sorry for those people that live by the scedule and in fear.

I think i read all this somewhere about ....US ....aaand about Russia aand about Equador  aaaand about other countries . And as US citisen and Ukraine citizen , and EU citizen i know what law is and how to live by it. I got looots of expirience living in other countries. And if you think that everybody in the world  live and sucseed in  by folloving law.. than .O o.You might realy need to waik up. Law is for slaves. I hope you  r not one of them.
  Sorry if this info makes you andry but this is thre thruth that you asked for.
  Good luck leading your life.

"Law is for slaves."

Well, I can tell you for certain that Indonesia is not for anarchists…so maybe you should be thinking about living somewhere else more suitable to your extreme ideologies.   ;)

And just for your own education and benefit, Indonesia has very tough anti-subversion laws on the books:

http://www.refworld.org/pdfid/3ae6a99910.pdf

Ubudian wrote:

But hey, you do what makes you happy.  My primary concern was your bad advice to a foreigner to get involved with an unlicensed charity.

And that is excellent advice.

There is no way any foreigner should have anything to do with unlicensed charities.
The thread has gone way off topic, so perhaps we should take a step back and consider the OP's question.

If I were the OP, I'd find a little orphanage or something, tell immigration exactly what I intended to do, then help them out in any way I was able.

The big trick is making sure you inform immigration of what you intend and get clearance from them.
Anything else is asking for trouble.
You'll find the vast majority of immigration offers are helpful and friendly, and perfectly happy for you to do unpaid part time work to help Indonesians in difficulty.
If they have any objections to any given charity, they'll be clear about it.

Loads of homeless kids around - not a lot stopping you wandering around giving them meals.
You'll find word of your good nature gets around very quickly.
As long as you keep immigration informed - there is no serious chance of a problem.

lena palha wrote:

Good moning.  I think lots of peope have the words like : skary, don't,not alowed,illegal ect in they vocabulary. You can see how swamp made of those words drags people to the most botom and they comfortable with it..

lena palha wrote:

Law is for slaves..

Hang on - there is no way any visitor to any country should suggest ignoring the laws of their host nation.
Expats choose the country they live in, and should respect that country's laws and beliefs.
They don't have to agree with them, but they must respect them.

You should also note Immigration and other authorities read this site (I know because I've seen several immigration officers do so), so advertising your intent or suggestion regarding deliberately breaking the law is a little less than clever.
It's also extremely rude.

lena palha wrote:

i do not want to become Indonesian or accepet local behavior..

Honest opinion - you should go to the airport and book a ticket out.

Any and every expat in any country MUST respect the people of the country they CHOSE to live in.

Not subtle or polite, but people with that attitude give all expats a bad name, and cause hate and mistrust.
Do I love Indonesia? You bet I do.
Does my love of this wonderful country make a difference to my opinion? Not really, I believe the same of every expat in every country.

Actually..it is so.damn f**kin easy for me to help that Russian lady..since (if you know me..) i am swamped with lotta charity activities..

But..she said that Indonesian house wives just eat and sleep (well..i won't quote her words..you better read by yourself) and flashing around their new shoes in malls..

I think..i better shut up..

I am not into helping people who generalized others..

Btw guys...i am glad that you were trying to help her..but i think it is gonna be useless...

Well...i am going back to eat and sleep and ask Luke to meet me for 3 hours chatting over nothing in a coffee shop while i am showing him my f*ckin new shoes

:D

Aabie shoots, she scores....

lukereg wrote:

Aabie shoots, she scores....

I see subtle get tossed out of the window. :D

I want some new shoes but I'm very poor.
If there are any ladies with a pair of UK size ten high heels they've finished with, please PM me.

Hi Guys...i am back!!

To all the people here...
Let's meet up and chip in for Fred's new shoes..
And Roy...join us!!
Our 3 hours coffee session talking shit won't be great without you...

All the people...but you, ma'am

Thanks for the invitation Aabie!

I'd love to join you all for this 3 hour coffee break, but guys...you're all in Jakarta.   :(