I feel Hopeless waiting for resident visa

Good Day everyone! My name is Ailenne from Olongapo Phil. I applied for a resident permit Sept 7,2015. Ive been to Gävle Sweden this year and stayed there with my boyfriend for 72 days. The whole summer June 2015 to August 2015 with a schengen visa. I was able to meet his family and friends. I met my friends there too coz I have a few Swedish friends. During my stay we decided that I should move there with him. My friend (swedish national) also convinced me to apply for a permit coz when his boyfriend (gay couple) applied for a permit it's been granted in less than 4 months. So when I go back here in the phil, we did the whole process. We submitted our application online. Before doing the process I read on the website that the waiting time is just max 4 months. but just at the beginning of october I checked it again and it says the waiting time is 6 to 12 months due to the asylum seekers... But we are keeping our hopes high. Hoping we will get it soon. Up until now we dont have any response from the migration. Now that I read your posts here it made me feel more sad and frustrated... It seems its really gonna take forever to get the permit. I miss my boyfriend so much. Good thing he decided to come over again and spend the holidays with me this december. But after that I don't know, another schengen visa is impossible... :(

The resident permit processing time varies on many factors. It can even take 20 months to be granted.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/English/ … -time.html

There are many users on this forum who have been waiting long for the permit, it's not just you. So if you really want to be living in Gavle with your loved one keep your hopes high. Being hopeless is not solution.

Thank you for your response.. Yes I will keep my hopes high... and i know at the end of the day this will be all worth it.. Still gonna hope for a miracle to happen...

Hi MissGävle,
Keep your hopes up, I felt the same when I was waiting for the decision of my residence permit days feel like weeks and weeks feels like years,.my husband always call the Migrationsverket,and until they gave him a number of a guy that is my case officer, .I wish you all the luck, so you can be with your husband soon aswell.

habaan mo tlga psensya mo. ako nga 1yr tlga ko nag antay kahit 5 yrs na kaming kasal.

Thank You Ms.Donna-lyn I guess it's the only choice that we have right now... Be patient and keep our hopes high. As of now we contacted the Migration in Sweden, Bangkok and consulate here in Manila and they have the same answer. No one is handling our case yet and my paper is still on que. It is frustrating but thinking about the refugees and asylum seekers, they really needed help first. I am thankful that we dont have that kind of life. Yes it is hard to be away from the guy that I love but I know it's gonna be worth it at the end. If only there's a lot of opportunity here in Philippines I will ask him to move with me instead. Anyway he will be spending the Holidays here in December and we will just make the most out of it... I am still hoping and Praying that my permit will be out soon :)

Thank you Skenny... I still hope and pray that we will get it very soon... :)

Yes their busy with asylum seekers, but your application is in the que, which means, it would probably take 12-14  months since you applied online.it's just in the phase, and it'll be okay,soon the consulate will contact you for your interview. Regarding your residence permit application, it would probably take a long while because of Holidays too. But once they say you need to appear at the Consulate, then they will start looking for a  case officer, and probably e-mailing the migrationsverket once or  twice a week helped, or call them Every week asking the same question how is your application going.This is based on what me and my husband experienced. He is working as a Chef at the Ferry, that time and when he have time, everyday he calls them, so am I,didnt stop emailing them,even I get the reply the same as before,
God Bless

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please post only in English so that every member can understand you. Thanks
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

hello i miss gävle we are the same city in gävle . i applied my application last september 4 but until now im still waiting for my interview . i look in migrationsverket it takes 8-21 months . always think positive . i've been in sweden last year and this year too . sobrang tagal ng antayan ngaun . nililibang ko nalang sarili ko . kakauwe lang ng bf ko sa sweden today .

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please write only in English on the anglophone forum
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Vanessa! Ours is September 7. I been to Sweden this year. June to August. Let's keep our hopes high :) and I hope we can meet up in Gävle! Send me private message :)

You must be married to get a permanent visa.

Hi stefi I didn't apply for a permanent visa :)

sambo or pr it doesnt matter. it handle by migration with full answer.

The reality is that Migrationsverket is a screwed up organization no matter how you look at it.  They are not up to the government's mandate.  YES, we ALL know about ALL the refugees rushing to Mother Sweden's shores (Sweden intent on solving all of Europe's - if not the world's - asylum-seeking problems).  That said, along with this absurdly unrealistic goal, Migrationsverket is a messed up, incompetent, wholly bureaucratic system so...it functions at best at far less than adequate a level.  I'd be happy to list examples for you but...who has the time...

The reality is that I waited 10 months and I'm married to a Swede (and had already been for a couple of years and had been together for a couple more years in addition to that).  More importantly, I was given incorrect information by my case worker and suffered for it.  Migrationsverket admitted I was given the wrong information but...did little to repair the damage caused by their incompetent worker.  And this is the most important point -- You are at the mercy of your case worker.  Hope and pray you get a good one...though the odds are not in anyone's favor.

It's not enough to 'blame' mistakes, etc. on 'overwork'.  Case workers' actions have real-life effects on those people whose applications they are processing.  Either do your jobs well or don't bother.

Bottom line -- Expect to wait months.  That is the reality...for everyone.  I was told it would take 5 business days for my renewal once I returned here.  WRONG!  DON'T return here no matter what you do ...even if they tell you it's correct.  Unless you are an asylum seeker, you should NOT apply from within Sweden...again, even if your case worker tells you otherwise.

Don't lose hope. I applied to move over June 1, 2015. I received my permanent residency documentation on October 19, 2015. Our plan is to move the end of December. We watched the process dates very closely as well, because we need to move within a small window to accommodate school for our children. When the time moved from 4 months to 6 months, my husband called, and was told the asylum situation had no bearing on the length of time it would take to get my documents. He didn't stop there. He asked who the worker was, got in touch with him, and was told that the asylum situation definitely has impacted wait times. For us it was kind of a no brainer, though because we have been married for 17+ years and had documentation for every single year that we lived together. I did not even have to go for the interview. That all being said, every situation is different. You have the option of contacting the worker to see if your application was complete, or needs to be supplemented. I did mine through the Swedish Consulate here in USA, so she was very, very thorough in documenting everything. I did not file online. She sent three copies to Sweden in separate envelopes to make sure each department got the information, so they did not have to pass it around and waste time.

What is important is that your sambo can call the worker. Don't give up hope, things happen in their own good time.

And a word to the wise - Watch what you are posting about regarding Swedish policies if you are trying to get residency. You don't have to agree with them, just don't vent on the internet about it them. Negative posts could be grounds to deny your petition.

I hope you aren't offering me advice about 'venting' ...as I have PR and even before I got it, Migrationsverket was made WELL AND CLEAR their handling of my case (and so many others) is FAR FROM ADEQUATE.  Things won't change unless these matters are brought into the public arena...so that is what both my husband and I have done.

The first time I applied to come here to Sweden, the process went VERY quickly.  Almost too quickly.  Less than 2 months to be exact.  I applied from Japan where I was living/working.  After leaving here to work for a year (during which time my residency was up for renewal), Migrationsverket rejected the extension...which they now admit was WRONG.  They should not have.

Then of course we were given the wrong information about coming back to reapply...

The point is -- MIGRATIONSVERKET IS THERE TO SERVE THE PEOPLE OF SWEDEN.  When what you state is accurate and true, "wise" people speak out about it so they don't do the same thing to others.

The reality is that immigration and asylum seeking need to be SEPARATED.  Why?  Because people 'like me' with 'simple' cases (documentation, etc.) don't deserve to have our applications on hold for months on end...queuing system or not.  My SWEDISH husband's RIGHT to have his spouse be able to work, have insurance, etc. ARE NOT LESS IMPORTANT than those of refugees...especially as his tax kronor as paying for such things.

If Migrationsverket personnel have the time and energy to be reading these forums INSTEAD OF PROCESSING APPLICATIONS, that will be even more 'evidence' of incompetence...not that we need more.

I find it laughable than anyone would cower to this agency ....as they are incompetent beyond measure or mere words.  After screwing up my application, they actually spent 18000 SEK of the tax payers' money by getting a lawyer involved only to be told "Yes, you are wrong; process her application."

Unless/until the Swedish public becomes aware of this ...mismanagement, nothing will change.  Excuses, fear, etc. are not the answer.

Ms. Gavle,

The waiting period is more longer now. You need to have a long patient. I waited my residence permit for almost 6 months.

rhose

:) I am really glad you got that off your chest. Are you still on the outside looking in? I am sorry this happened to you. It sounds like you are trying to work through your frustration and angst about your situation.

I am also fairly certain that the human beings working for the migration system are inundated with requests and have no time to troll for malcontents. The other arms of government are well versed in algorithms and will flag things that can hold up the process. If you really want to see change, be that change. Run for office and affect policies.

The migration website clearly states approximate wait times. When those estimates lengthen, then of course one should contact their case worker to expedite. I will say this: Sweden's immigration is a thousand times more transparent than the USA. Not all situations will be as fraught with difficulties as yours. Thankfully.

My point is that I am trying to be encouraging and empathetic to those still waiting. As soon as you have a case number get acquainted with the caseworker. And never lose hope.

Thank you for letting me share.

From your profile:

I am not an expat yet

I think this says it all.  My situation is settled ...thanks for your concern.  The problems with Migrationsverket?  SUCH ENDEMIC things WON'T CHANGE...until voices are heard...like in this forum or elsewhere.  In fact, once again, Migrationsverket will make changes in their organizational structure...perhaps (just perhaps) based on the undoubtedly countless complaints they have gotten.

Perhaps you may want to suspend judgment until you are actually here in Sweden.  I've lived many places in the world...the situation in Sweden at present is beyond chaos...and it's inexcusable.

All the best ...

And for the record -- GOOD LUCK with getting in touch with your case worker.  It's nearly universally agreed -- it's IMPOSSIBLE to  get in touch with the person who is supposedly in charge of your case.  The first thing you see when you walk into any Migrationsverket office HERE IN SWEDEN is -- "Did you know you can contact your case worker by phone or email?" As I clarified to one of the higher-up managers, you CAN contact them, but you won't get a reply or return phone call...and that's true if a Swedish person calls (no language barrier there!) or a non-Swede.

That's the reality...

Our realities clearly are not the same because our worker answered within 3 days, then arranged a phone conference with my husband and I and my approval paperwork was in my hands 4 days later. As for "being there?" We spend a great deal of time in Sweden, and we've worked with both USA/SE immigration. USA doesn't answer anything, just tells you to wait for the surprise. I don't expect things to be peachy keen when we get there permanently. We live in an area where nut jobs are killing foreign children and burning mosques or housing for refugees. I fear for my children's safety because their native tongue is English, even though they are Swedish by birthright. Will that stop us? No. I intend to be a part of the solution by getting involved. I agree that asylum seekers need to be under a different area of government. And that the laws need to be adjusted to the will of the majority regarding asylum. I have watched our once pristine city become full of graffiti and the lovely bedroom community we were married in go to seed. It guts me.

So, you do what you must to get the word out that the system is broken, and I will do what I can to help find viable solutions on a community level, and Sweden will be better for our presence and desire to assimilate to the Swedish culture. 

Fair enough?

Fair enough.  Hope springs eternal... If you know ANYTHING about Sweden/Swedish society, you know it works by RULES...laws, etc.  Migrationsverket is just STARTING to see the errors of its ways.  And as people's lives (refugees and non-refugees alike) are at stake, it behooves them to make the necessary changes as they are falling FAR SHORT of society's expectations and the government's mandate.

That I personally will never have anything more to do with them (thanks to having PR) doesn't mean I shouldn't stand up for those still suffering from their incompetence.

Good luck to you in your life here (meant genuinely).

hello po,i read ur messages,ive been in sweden May-august(tourist),now im here in philippines we applied residence permit this month(november)even interview po pla take so long to wait?

maximum obe year to wait..

Hi Apple,
Yes it takes along while for the interview too.. and after that it can take a long while for the decision to be made.. once You have your interview its the start of your application.The entire system will take along time now..
Good luck

How's everybody? After 6 months of waiting finally migration emailed me for the interview. But I guess there's a long que for interview too so my schedule is May 24 but I am still happy coz finally there's a progress on my application. I am excited for the interview! Can't wait to tell our love story to the interviewer and my experience when I visited Sweden last year. :)

I already accepted the fact that it will take longer to get the permit so I moved on with my life and found a job and it took my mind from the stress of waiting a little bit plus me and my bf is constantly talking to fight the distance and now finally I have a progress on my application.

I know the waiting time is 14 to 15mos as per migration website but we are still keeping our hopes high that I will be back to Gävle earlier than winter :)
Goodluck to us!

hai :)

congrats for u :D

This post is really helpful.. im gonna apply for residence permit via online next week. Hope it wont take so long time :D I need a residence permit
before getting maried with my BF next year in August 17.

Hi there, 
As far as I understand,  you did apply for residens permit and in between of your waiting time you apply for tourist visa? 
If that is the case it may take it a while for them to decide specialy if you are not yet married.  It's give the Swedish migration board a negative feedback. Because the most question they will think is why you are in such a hurry?. In their website state that example you stay 72 days in Sweden ,  you can only re apply after 72 days of stay in Philippines. Otherwise your case will be denied or prolong. Same case if you apply for tourist with pending visa, it will also be delayed.  So my advice is wait.

I'm not going to scroll back but ...I thought I would add --

Once you apply for residency, you need special permission from Migrationsverket to enter the country.  You CAN'T just come as a tourist.  Once an application is filed, you are told NOT to enter the country.  If you want to, you must have their permission.

Just for people's information ...should this apply to anyone.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : off topic

ohhh no no. I didn't apply for a tourist visa... I applied for a resident permit. I already went to Sweden. Then went back here at Ph to apply for a resident permit... My interview is on May 24. Then I know I have to wait longer for the decision. I am good at waiting now  :)

I was responding to this point:

As far as I understand,  you did apply for residens permit and in between of your waiting time you apply for tourist visa?

The person was asking (as best I can understand what is written) if you can apply for a tourist visa after having applied for a residence permit.  That is what I was responding to.

Oh no no... I was actually confused when I was asked if I applied  for a tourist visa while im on my waiting time for my resident permit coz I didn't say anything about it.

I just applied for a resident permit and nothing more... :)

I am just happy that there's a progress on my application. Some says I will not get it coz we are not married but we are keeping our hope high. We have all the proofs regarding our relationship. I will be waiting for a positive feedback :)

Being married has little if anything to do with it.  In fact, my first application (when I wasn't married) went MUCH faster than the second application (when I was married).  Keep in mind, it was to the SAME PERSON.  The issue now is the Swedish government's 'naivete' (or rather stupidity) regarding the refugee crisis.  That has been the problem these past couple of years ...Sweden trying to save the world...

Good luck.

Great, just wait dear time will come for your turn.
Never know maybe tomorrow you have the answer.
😍😍😍😍
Good luck

Being married doesn't guarantee for a faster desicion. When I applied for a residence permit way back 2012, my boyfriend and I were just 6 months together and yet i got a very quick response from migrationsverket. Just 4 weeks of waiting even if I didn't apply online. Good luck to you! =)

Thank you for all of your reply. My boyfriend will be visiting me again next month. In time for my interview. I will just bring him with me at the consulate, though of course I know he will just have to wait for me  outside :)

We are keeping our hopes high and try to be positive at all time so we won't be stressed on this waiting time. :)

ImissGävle wrote:

How's everybody? After 6 months of waiting finally migration emailed me for the interview. But I guess there's a long que for interview too so my schedule is May 24 but I am still happy coz finally there's a progress on my application. I am excited for the interview! Can't wait to tell our love story to the interviewer and my experience when I visited Sweden last year. :)

I already accepted the fact that it will take longer to get the permit so I moved on with my life and found a job and it took my mind from the stress of waiting a little bit plus me and my bf is constantly talking to fight the distance and now finally I have a progress on my application.

I know the waiting time is 14 to 15mos as per migration website but we are still keeping our hopes high that I will be back to Gävle earlier than winter :)
Goodluck to us!

Hi
We have a very similar situation, and similar dates.
I'm just hoping time will be quicker. My gf interview is booked for July now.
We want to live together in Göteborg.
Wish you all well and success

Hi there! We just really really need to be positive about this. I heard migration is doing better now? I hope they really do! It's frustrating to wait and it feels like our love story will depends on them now  but there's really no choice but to patiently wait :)

Goodluck to everybody who's waiting for a decision and to those who will have interview soon! :)

Hej hej guys,I know how you feel am in the same situation.I am going for my interview this May waiting is not easy but love concers all.We are big group in facebook helping each when We fill down it's like a familj i never had.Be patient guys We just hope the new rule will not effert those who have applied.