Underactive thyroid and Thyroxine supplies

Hi all,
I was planning to relocate Cambodia but have just been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid.Does anyone out there know how easy it is to get supplies and how I would go about doing this.

I asked my GP in the UK if they could supply a years or maybe 6 months at a time but they don't like doing that!

It is very easy and inexpensive to get your thyroid pills in Cambodia they are sold at most all pharmacies over the counter no prescription needed. I'd have to check my brand later at home but I think they are a french brand.

Thanks for your reply. I am currently taking Levothyroxine and they are still checking my levels.
If you could let me know what you take I could check it with my doctors and hopefully that will solve my problem.
Again many thanks for the reply!

I am in the USA now, I will check my pills this evening and let you know.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I just was swamped with work and getting you the info slipped my mind.

The thyroid medication I got in Phnom Penh is the brand Euthyrox, it is 100mg Levothyroxine sodium. It is made
by Merck, in Germany.

I'm sure you can get it in any standard dosage.

Hope this helps,
Debra

Medicines are readily available. I myself have been using thyroxine for years and gets my supply from a local pharmacy. they stock lots of French, German and Australian medicines and I have YET to discover a brand name that I could not get the original of here

Just a quick suggestion. Do make a point of getting your medications from the bigger pharmacy stores with controlled air conditioned storage facilities rather than one of the hundreds of street corner drugstores that we have such a lot of!

I suffer from hypothyroidism,the German ,Thai and French versions of Levothyroxine ARE ALL ABUNDANTLY AVAILABLE.It is a well known condition in Cambodia.One months supply should not cost more than between 6 - 7 USD.
Regards,
Evert Louw from Phnom Penh.

I buy my thyroid meds from UCare or Pharmacie de la Gare at a fraction of a price they cost back home.

That is true,quite affordable.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. You have all been so helpful.
I did think I would have to change my plans about going to Cambodia, at least now it is only a delay until I can get my levels right! Xx

Just as an aside, If you want to avoid the "white man tax" you may have a trustworthy local obtain them for you. It should be much cheaper.

Good luck finding a "trustworthy local" if you don't know one already.......

Even buying them as a foreigner is WAAY cheaper than back home :-)

As I have only just been diagnosed, I don't really know how it works. Just out of interest, how do you check you TSH and T4 levels?

Thank you for going to the trouble  :)

I don't believe in having some local "you trust" to get medicine for me.  For several reasons.  Most of the trustworthy pharmacies have prices on them and the small ones have often been found to have old or improperly labeled medicine. A good pharmacy that is air conditioned with people who can speak English or French will ensure you are getting something for what actually ails you. Pharmacie de la Gare is air conditioned, the pharmacist is knowledgeable, the prices are clearly marked.

Having hypothyroidism needs to be monitored and adjusted it took me approx. 6 - 9 mos. to get my original fixed level but then after approx. 15 yrs. it had to again be adjusted.  After you  finally get your correct dosage a 6 month script should be easy to get especially if explained but once overseas getting refills will be a non-issue.

I know Levothyroxine is available, but what about the natural type of pills, e.g., naturethroid, armour, etc.?  I don't do well with synthetics.