Business or personal bank account for Occupation Permit $35,000

Hi all,

For those on a self-employed occupation permit - does the $35,000 need to be in a business account or can it be in a personal account in your name?

Also how long does it take to set up bank accounts in Mauritius / how complicated is it / how much paperwork is needed?

Thanks,
Sophie

Dear FranglaiseMummy,

Opening of bank accounts does not take very long, probably  up to 10 days if it is a company account and provided you have all the required documentation.

Someone based here can get that done for you pretty quickly.

If you require the list of documents, do drop me a text and I will send it across.

Any questions, please shout.

Venna

Thanks Venna - we will open the bank account ourselves once we get there. It would be good to know if we need a business or a personal one for the occupation permit investment money though...

It would need to be a business account, unless it is a one man company.

When are you planning to move here?

Note, for opening of bank account, you will need to provide a Bank reference letter from your bank in your country. Please note that this is a very sensible documents. If planning to do a self-employed permit, you better stick to a personal bank account.  Other documents:  your passport, proof of address, bank reference and they might also request a proof of address in Mauiritus (MCB doesn't ask usually).

To open a company account, banks will ask for same documents as above for each director and shareholder.  However, to add on these - the famous Trade Licence (only MCB will not ask for this!).

Thanks everyone - we have managed to open a personal bank account as my husband is applying for a self-employed occupation permit.