Governmental Documentation

Hi everyone,

I am moving to SP soon (from North America) on a Temporary Work Visa (VITEM V) and my company has informed me that I won't be able to start work without governmental documents: CPF, RG, CTPS, CNS, Brazilian bank account. How long does it roughly take to obtain all these documents? I am a foreigner so there are a few added steps in there as well, with RNE, etc.

Expats who have moved to Brazil for work - do you start working without these documents and just apply when you're there? How does this work?

Thanks in advance!

The CPF will take about 15 minutes if you apply directly through the Receita Federal, you need only your passport in order to get that. In fact you can even apply for a CPF at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil before you leave home if you wish.

The document you mentioned as RG is incorrect (that's for Brazilians only) what you need is a CIE (Cédula de Identidade Estrangeiro), you have to register within 30 days of arrival in Brazil, and you schedule that, fill out all the information on the Policia  Federal website, pay the fees and attend to have your processing and fingerprinting done.

The CTPS (Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social) which is your work permit must be ap. plied for at the Regional Superintendency of the Ministry of Labor in (or serving) your city here. It may require an appointment. You will need to already have your CPF and CIE (or the protocol for the CIE) before you can apply, and 2 - 3X4 color photos. In São Paulo they're located at Rua Martins Fontes, 109 ·Telephone:  (11) 3150-8106. Depending on how busy they are and their current workload that can take up to 10 days for the CTPS to be ready to pick up.

Don't know what a CNS is so I can't tell you about that. You should ask your employer more about it.

The bank account will be a nightmare. You need all of the foregoing before you can open a bank account. You'll need to also have a proof of address (electric, water, gas, or fixed telephone bill), proof of income will be required by some banks. It is quite a bureaucratic process and it might be easier if your employer is willing to help you arrange the account. The bank account may take a couple of weeks to a couple of months to arrange

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi
It took me about 5 months to get everything on your list
I just got the CTPS in my hand yesterday because I moved cities and traveled a bit and when I went for my appointment in my old city they were on strike ....

I was planning to do all of this in 2 weeks initially and it ended up taking 4 months....
If you are really organized and dedicated and can spend day after day going around to banks and government departments I would say you could do it in a month.....2 weeks if nothing is missing , but one problem with your RNE and CIE registration , (l had a missing form that the consul didn't give me with the visa) and it can easily delay the whole process for 2 weeks.
It tough though , you have to go around to multiple government offices and the bank chasing documents , signature , making appointments , paying fees.....it gets really draining especially in a large strange city if you have no car and don't know where anything is.....each trip can be exhausting in the heat and take half a day
I would say be prepared to dedicate two to three weeks solidly to all this.

I just gave up after a bit , then got my CTPS at a relaxed pace now that I have a car and know what to to etc
It can really wear you out to get all of these things at once so be prepared

I think I made 3 or 4 trips to the Banco do brasil before everything was correct to open the account and even then it took my wife putting a bit of pressure on them to actually enter in all the info and get it done....you definitely need a native Portuguese speaker to help you if you don't know whats going on