Ahok to unbend the prohibition of smoking in shopping centers.

From Jakarta Post article, dated November 12, 2015
"The city administration has issued three gubernatorial regulations prohibiting smoking: gubernatorial regulations No. 75/2005, No. 88/2010 and No. 50/2012.
Some regulate the prohibition of smoking in shopping centres."
On the same article, it was noted that the Jakarta Environmental Management Agency (BPLHD) has kept shopping centers under closer surveillance and has threatened to impose sanctions on shopping centers that ignore the smoking ban bylaw. Recently, however, mall visitors have been seen puffing away in restaurants and cafés in Jakarta's malls.
It has been mentioned there were at least 50 warning letters given to approximately a thousand of public spaces and centers (malls, cafes, hotels) by the city government.

From Jakarta Post, November 18, 2015
Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama says he will never retract any policies that benefit the public. However, he said that he planned to relax the gubernatorial ban on smoking in shopping malls because mall owners declined to prohibit shoppers from lighting up on their premises.

It is quite disappointing and saddening at the same time to see a city leader to bend down to what he stood for after getting some set backs especially on the early stages of implementation. What gives? This is a perfect chance to curb out the excessive smoking habits of the people especially the locals. If he truly will make some amendments to the regulations his government issued then that would let people assume (negatively) about his leadership skills.

I, for one, hope that they will reinforce the regulation and implement is with iron fist. It is beneficiary to the people (in the long run).

Hope so too. I can't stand smokers.

linoff wrote:

I, for one, hope that they will reinforce the regulation and implement is with iron fist. It is beneficiary to the people (in the long run).

I dislike cigarette smoke - gives me a headache and makes everything it touches stink for a week.
Much as I agree with your sentiment, I can see a lot of people getting very upset with this, especially the tobacco companies.

Ahok is going to have to stamp all over this one as his credibility is at stake of he lets it go.

Speaking from the viewpoint of a Canadian, and former long-time resident of British Columbia, which has the strongest anti-smoking legislation in the world; and as someone who has lived in Brazil for nearly 14 years now., a country that has anti-smoking legislation that is nearly as strong these changes don't take place overnight. Be patient.

All Asian and Indonesian nations have a whole different attitude towards smoking. In some you're virtually a social outcast if you don't smoke. Do you really think that it is possible to change that kind of mindset quickly? Trust me it's not. It wasn't an easy transition in Canada, which has a different attitude towards smoking, nor was it easy in Brazil where smoking was once the norm and cigarettes are dirt cheap.

That said, at least your local government has started down that path and eventually it will produce results. Initially there will always be objections, but it will come. In British Columbia nowadays if you can even afford to smoke, you can't smoke in any enclosed public space, or in any workplace, and prisoners can't smoke because that's a workplace for prison guards. You can't smoke in any form of public transportation, including taxis, buses, limos, trains, etc.

In order to further discourage smoking the Canadian government systematically increases the tax on tobacco products every three months or so. Every time they do, more people quit, but this didn't happen overnight.

You're starting down that road just now, and heading in the right direction... you'll get to the desired destination sooner or later. Hang in there!

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

A good analysis James...spot on.  It will take time, and it will eventually come to pass.

I currently work with senior management at the Jakarta Airport and they are starting to get tough with smokers. They have have been challenged by the Ministry of Transport to make all airports 'greener', but the problem is that due to the way society is all the young people hired to work in cafes and restaurants etc are not brave enough to tell older people not to smoke and so on. Even    security guards won't do that unless in numbers so they are having trouble making the rule stick and be enforced.
The ironic thing is that once it is sorted and the rule is maintained it is something that can be easily controlled.
I have suggested that the first thing the Airport does is stop selling cigarettes as that would help and make sure the smoking rooms are always accessible. As for malls, removing ashtrays and putting smoking rooms in would help no end.
The Dunkin Doughnuts at Pancoran is still a smoking restaurant and no one bats an eyelid at this.
Better still patrons of the malls should be encouraged and rewarded for reporting the establishments where smoking is allowed so that it is stopped through the population and enforced by the law.

Luke are you working for the airport authorities in Jakarta? Sounds like an interesting job.

Ooh no nothing as exciting as that just helping the managent with their language development. Teaching them English....

From recent experience, I still notice  restaurants who  allow their clients to smoke inside. From FX Sudirman to Senayan Plaza and Senayan City for example, even at Grand Indonesia. I do not understand how they keep on doing so despite the regulations by the city government. That gives one the idea they must have strong connections or just plain stubborn..

First things first....
Visible No Smoking Sign should be placed at strategic places.
This serves a great reminder at all times.

I have seen wisma Bni 45 walkway towards Shangrila hotel has a 'No smoking sign' placed along the corridor.  This is great for the park area in between.

Could have learn alot from China too, the government have implemented 3 gestures even schoolchildren can implement to tell smokers to put away the cigs.

This is an article on Kompas, the leading newspaper in Indonesia.
Dated 2 December 2015:
http://megapolitan.kompas.com/read/2015 … ng.Ber-AC.

Basically it mentions, there are no bending of the rules on the prohibition of smoking in:
- air conditioned malls/shopping areas
- car drop off waiting areas
- indoor cafes
- etc

The only allowance for smoking are for outdoor cafes and night entertainment areas.

The penalty for non compliance  is refusal of certification on the building fit-to-purpose use.

I'm onside regarding this issue.
Apart from all the obvious points, cig smoke gives me a nasty headache.
I can't stay in a room where someone is engaging in that disgusting antisocial activity, so I'm with smoking bans.

I totally agree with Ahok's policy over tobacco, but he ought not bend down before shopkeepers and tobacco deadly industry.

I am a French resident in Malang, East Java. My Indonesian wife is a civil servant pharmacist as a manager of Dinas Kesehatan in that city. Her first husband, a brilliant math lecturer from North Sumatra University, died from a smoker's lung cancer at the age of 34 several years ago. Therefore she is totally involved in anti-tobacco preventive health action.

Indonesia signed a business agreement with Malboro some weeks ago.
It seems that Jokowi and his government are either fully not aware or have a hypocritical political approach of the effects of tobacco on public health - whether the victims are active or passive smokers like babies, children or pregnant women, which kills several thousand of inhabitants every year.

In my opinion, it would be very easy to train workers and employees of this important part of economy for higher qualifications and wages in order to turn that lethal tobacco business into green economy like organic agriculture and food processing for the great benefit of the whole population.

This is quite a high crucial challenge for the future of our planet and its inhabitants as Indonesia is taking part in the COP 21 in Paris this week.

Have a nice day,

Michel

Is smoking considered as much a contributor to "green house gases" as cow farts?

Seriously, and without taking the time to research this for myself, I'm just curious.

Reflecting on how great Jakarta is in taking steps in establishing smoke-free places.

Indonesia is still considered fortunate in having many non-smoking workplace. In China, my experience was beyond horrible and incomprehensible. The people there smokes, like drinking plain water.
Everytime they meet you, they offer one or two cigarettes. It is polite for a host to offer a smoke. It is a very basic common courtesy!
They are more likely to blow smokes before meals, during meals, after meals.

Ok this just makes you sick... After reading  and looking at the pictures:

www.michellesiu.com/marlboroboys#0

Not big, and not clever.
The parents are a few pennies short of a shilling.