Moving to Mauritius from S.A.

I am curious about what would be involved in moving to Mauritius permenantly, or for an extended stay.
I have many years experience in the Restaurant business and in the fashion industry.
Initially I would need to be employed while I settle down, and all going well I would like to open my own small business such as I have in South Africa.

Does one require a work permit to do casual part time work in Mauritius?
I know that South Africans do not require visas but is there an overstay cut off point, or can one live in the country for a period of 6 months without a permit of some sort?
Which area would be good to start out, that is affordable, safe and close to amenities, but still attractive and near to the beach?

I see many posts by people who are moving to the island with big money and buying property etc,
Is it feasable for a small fry, such as myself, who does not have masses of capital security, but content to lead a simple life, ( I lived on an island in Thailand for year last year on next to nothing)  to move to Mauritius permenantly?

Thanks for any advise.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As someone trying to move myself, let me answer your questions for you.

> Does one require a work permit to do casual part time work in Mauritius?

If you find work/employment of any sort on the tourist visa and the government finds out, you will likely be deported and never allowed back in (this is what I have learnt from other posters).

> I know that South Africans do not require visas but is there an overstay cut off point, or can one live in the country for a period of 6 months without a permit of some sort?

According to what I just found out recently, it is a 90-day visa that you renew for another 90 days. I wouldn't take a chance with staying for longer than 6 months (especially seeing what they do to folks above)

Also, Cape Town is quite nice for a few months of the year, so you could travel there as well :)

> Which area would be good to start out, that is affordable, safe and close to amenities, but still attractive and near to the beach?

I don't know what affordable to you is, but if you have a decent budget, you should look at places like Flic en Flac and/or Grand Baie (apparently there is a massive S.African community in Tamarin or some other place in the west of the island).

Safety is a big thing for South Africans :) but what Mauritians themselves say is that crime is generally very low. I don't think they have the type of violent crime S.Africa does, so it should be safer. Although being cautious is a good thing :)

> I see many posts by people who are moving to the island with big money and buying property etc,

I guess Mauritius is an escape route for many rich S.Africans then :P

> Is it feasable for a small fry, such as myself, who does not have masses of capital security, but content to lead a simple life, ( I lived on an island in Thailand for year last year on next to nothing)  to move to Mauritius permenantly?

IMO, Thailand is a lot cheaper than Mauritius. I've spoken to a few expats and costs are not comparable, with Mauritius being around the same cost as S.Africa (rent-wise) and a little more expensive for other things ( imported food, etc.) while some things may be cheaper (not sure of what just yet).

If you want to move permanently, you will need to do the investment thing (see other threads speaking about it), but it would probably be a good idea to come see the place first.

Hope this info helps.

Hello CallyB, I just saw your post. I am from Hungary, but at times staying in Mauritius. We are planning a business down there. That would be nice to keep in touch. Csilla

Hello there.
Hope you are doing well?
I'm a legal advisor in Mauritius. Well tell me one thing, are you coming to Mauritius to work?
Did you got a job offer from Mauritius?

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : do not use the forum to promote your services !
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi

I am from South Africa. ** I will send you tips and advice as well as mistakes we made and how to avoid them saving alot of money and effort.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.

Dear Ronel, We are from Cape Town in South Africa. We are coming to Mauritius in January to explore the option to move there permanently. so far we are 90% sure of the move. We are self employed with an ongoing internet business which we will be doing there, so will not need any kind of employment. it is just my husband and myself as our children are all married with homes of their own. However, we have thousands of questions. Where to stay, we are staying in flic 'n flac in Jan and will be looking at there and at tamarin. we will be losing our medical aid and will need one, do I bring my own furniture and so much more. I would really appreciate any advise i can get. I see we are not allowed to place our email addresses on the forum, how do we communicate. Looking forward to hear from you. Nicky

Hi Ronel
Same situation as Nicky, seriuosly considering emmigrating to Mauritius. All the same questions as Nicky.
Any tips would help. We're thinking about selling everything we have and just coming over with cash.
Would be looking for small very casual lodging, very laid back.
Good area, between lots of South Africans will be nice
Will be living off pension, not interested in employment.
Any tips please

Hi Weppies, we have a lot in common! Email me: [email protected]  Rgds, Lance, Durban.