Let's make Krathong and join Loi Krathong Festival 2015 (Free!!!)

Itinerary
3:45 pm - The BTS Ploenchit station
4:00 pm - Making Cool DIY Krathong
5:30 pm - Visit Loi Krathong Festival

Remark: if you want to join please contact me at >>>xxx

Hope to see you soon my new friends :cheers:
--------------------------

What is Loy Krathong?
The history behind the festival is complex, and Thais celebrate for many reasons. The main rice harvest season has ended and it's time to thank the Water Goddess for a year's worth of her abundant supply, as well as an apology for polluting the waters. Some believe that this is the time to symbolically ‘float away' all the anger and grudges you have been holding onto, and including a fingernail or a lock of hair is seen as a way of letting go of the dark side of yourself, to start anew free of negative feelings. If your candle stays alight until your Krathong disappears out of sight, it means a year of good luck. Traditionally, Thais release their krathongs into rivers and small canals called ‘klongs'. Today, a pond or lake is also good. Many places host a string of cultural activities, such as ‘Ram Wong' dance performances, krathong-making competitions and a beauty contest. People have started releasing lanterns in Bangkok, but this is only a small part of the festival. For the full lantern experience, head up to Chiang Mai for ‘Yee Peng' festival, although people often fly lanterns in Phuket and Samui, too.

--------------------------

What is a Krathong?

There is no equivalent word in English for ‘krathong'. You may hear people referring to it as a small boat, vessel, receptacle or container. In the run-up to the festival, many shops and market stalls will display ready-made Krathongs, or in parts so you can assemble and decorate as you wish. In the past, krathongs were made from natural materials – usually a section from a banana tree trunk, crafted into a lotus shape by using folded banana leaves, and these can still be found for sale around the main festival sites. More recently, Thais have become more creative in their craft and design the krathongs from coconut shells, flowers, baked bread, potato slices, some breaking with the conventional lotus leaf shape in favour of turtles and other sea creatures.

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting external links on EB

Hello there Fai Puntida,

Welcome on board  :)

Make sure to drop an advert in the Events, Activities, Leisure in Thailand section of the website so that members may easily access the festival.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thank you very much. ^_^

Loi Krathong is my favourite Thai festival. You can of course go on an organised tour but it's easy to join in anywhere in Thailand where there is a water source . We don't have a natural watercourse or lake where I live so the Abbott of the local temple makes a "lake" around the Bot in the temple grounds. great fun "floating our boats," with a free show and funfair as well.

The actual date this year is 25th November but this does vary in different provinces and in touristy places like Pattaya and Chiang Mai for example.

When I lived in Prachuap Khiri Khan we floated our krathongs in the sea!!

Here in the north we also release paper lanterns at this time.

We make our krathongs using a circular disc cut from the stem of a banana tree and decorate it with banana leafs and lotus flowers(very green minded).