Marriage Question

Hi all,

I have a question about marriage in Cambodia. My Khmer partner and I are (hopefully) close to the end of the official process - all our paperwork is in order and we've been told to expect final approval any day now.

The problem is that I'm under pressure to move back home for work like yesterday. What I want to know is this: Is my presence absolutely crucial from here on?

As I understand it (do correct me if I'm wrong), once we get approval we need to go to my partner's home province and present everything to the village chief to get the marriage certificate, then we need to wait 10 days and after that we should be able to come back and collect it and we'll be legally married. Is there any way that my part in that could be accomplished in absentia, or at least shortened?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ajrc, hope this answer will help u a little.
1, when u say about 10day is refer to the time that you have to wait for your married approval, if no body complain your married will be approval after that day. You don't have to wait there if you have all the document. Because the commune concil will make the legal paper to announc at your partner house if s.o complain they will do to commune concil. So you don't need to stay.
2, This 10days can't be shorten because the law told to do it.
2 after that ten days approval, you have to wait about 1 month in order to get married certificate.
3 You need to bring two witnesses with you when u go to commune concil for married certificate for each both of you, that done.

Thanks Ridana, your explanation helps.

I didn't think it could be done, but I wanted to explore all options!

Hi All,

I also facing the same problem..
I am now at Immigration Department side.
I was told that my documents can be collected after the Director browse through it after one month from the day I submitted.
My question is after this,I need to bring the documents to where?
Thank you.

If the documents are signed off by a senior in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs you need to take them to your partner's village chief. He will be responsible for issuing the certificate.