Cost of living in Germany – 2015

German health insurance is compulsory for anybody on a residence visa. That includes student visa. Students currently pay the subsidized rate of approx. €80/month for the insurance (if you join the public scheme - the private scheme might be cheaper if you are young, healthy and have no family).
Edited to add: Yes, they pay for all medically necessary medication and aid, incl. doctor visits, laboratory tests, etc. There might be a small co-payment for medication, not more than a few Euro.

My knowledge is the public scheme not allowed for students staying only one year and minimum two years to be covered with the family in the public insurance. So means one year student and his family have to go in a private insurance scheme?

Oh, then this is a very specific case and you better contact a German health insurer for more definitive advice. The rules governing German health insurance are very complex, but without insurance you'll have to pay A LOT!

It's not just Germany that has a low supply of real estate for sale at good prices. It's everywhere. Most bigger cities in USA, all over Europe, Thailand, etc.

With banksters forcing people to do something with their money rather than let it sit in a bank, people are putting that into real estate. Which is another artificial coercion that shouldn't be there.  Euroland is in financial disarray. Real estate is not going to go up forever as the Euro system self destructs. It's only a matter of time.

The plan is to wait till prices come down or the Euro rate drops to below .80 so there is an increase in USD purchasing power over there.  But even at a 30% decrease in value or increase in USD purchasing power, German real estate is expensive compared to lots of other places unless you are buying in the smaller towns.

I plan relocating to Germany later in the year, but my question is ,can I be able to get someone to share a studio apartment till I am gainfully employed. Thank you.

Sharing a room (i.e. two people in a room) is very unusual in Germany, but if you find somebody willing to share with you, and a landlord to rent a studio to the two of you, it is o.k.
But why don't you want to rent a whole room in a shared apartment? This is much more common and costs you about the same!

Hi Beppi,I am Shahul Hameed...My blocked account has been created and 8090 euros have been deposited.My Question is after showing this as a proof for visa will i be able to take it and use it after reaching germany?!...I know we can take 670 euros per month but is it possible just after arriving berlin to take it for use...

Waiting for your reply.. :)

shahulhameedfadhul wrote:

Hi Beppi,I am Shahul Hameed...My blocked account has been created and 8090 euros have been deposited.My Question is after showing this as a proof for visa will i be able to take it and use it after reaching germany?!...I know we can take 670 euros per month but is it possible just after arriving berlin to take it for use...
Waiting for your reply.. :)

I assume you were asked to show money in a blocked account to get a visa for Germany?
If so, please ask the visa-issuing agency (probably the German embassy) about rules governing this.
If the amount is to ensure your continuous living costs in Germany, you are probably not allowed to withdraw and use it all at once.
Please also note that €670/month is by no means enough to survive in Germany, so you better bring some additional funds when you arrive!

I'm a little late to hop on this post, but what the hay, I'll put in my two cents anyway.

My husband and I are in a smaller city in Lower Saxony.  Our expenses are between 1000-1100 a month, including rent, cellphones, landline/internet, electricity, heat, food, Netflix, Steam/Gog games, and the occasional treat.  This doesn't include health insurance (the scholarship pays for that), or transportation (we live in the city center and can go everywhere by foot), we don't smoke, and don't own/need a car.  I rarely eat out because of food allergies (not a big deal, I like cooking), but we are able to buy nice things like organic produce, aged cheeses, and nice wine.  My husband buys his lunches at the University, which is usually a mere 3€ per meal. 

I know a single guy who spends about the same as both of us together, but he doesn't cook, and frequently goes out to bars and on trips.  In the end, I think how much you spend really just depends on your lifestyle.

Just a few numbers off the top of my head:
Cellphone bill: 8€/per month per phone (aldi talk)
Rent (warmmiete) and utilities: 480€
Food: around 400€ for both of us (we buy some health foods in the weekend market and reformhaus, but do our basic shopping in Netto)
Transportation: when we want to go outside of the city, it costs between 5-10€ each (round trip) by bus, for distances between 20-50 minutes.
Eating out is between 5-30€/each (we payed 30€ last, for a two full meals, two beers, a glass of wine, plus a good tip)
Our last bar tab (no food) was between 25-30€ for 4 shots, 4 beers, and a jagerbomb
200g of gourmet coffee is between 6-8€ (the crap in the super market is undrinkable) 
Italian ice cream: 1€ per scoop