Reentering with Student Visa prior to expiring

Hello everyone!!!
I have some questions here...
firstly i am hoping they make sense AND hoping someone here can help me with them ;)

OK

I have both a Student Visa * and Tourist Visa
(*I have had an older student visa in the past (issued 2012) and a newer one (issued 2015)

which brings me to the following concerns/confusions...

The visa was issued:  30 Nov/Nov 2012.  I entered Dec 28, 2012.
And I stamped out: July 7, 2013.

I had plans to return to Brasil, in October 2013. Knowing I wanted to stay a few more months, I knew my VITEM I student visa would expire in November.. (correct?)

So to be safe I when ahead and got a TOURIST VISA.
Issued in: 11 SEP/SEP 2013

Upon arrival October 16, 2013; they DID NOT want to stamp me in with VITEM I student visa, instead it had to be the newer TOURIST VISA I had just got.

{back at this time I did not care much about it}

THIS WAY my tourist visa would buy me more time to stay in Brazil.

Student visa VITEM IV
Issued: 23 JAN/JAN 2015*
12 months

(*Also 30 days upon arrival I went to PF they stamped behind the current student visa VITEM IV the following):

"NRE/DELEMIG/SR DPF/RJ
Registrado(a) como TEMPORARIO
sob o XXXXXX0-9 de acordo com
o Art 58 do Dec. 85.715/81
Rio de Janeiro, 26/03/2015
Permanência, 26/02/2016"

WHICH I don't understand; does that mean I can stay until February 26, 2016???

Also, IF I DO return on this VITEM IV student visa...
when is THE LATEST date that I have to enter before they make me use my tourist??

Again thank you!! hope to hear from expat soon!!

Abraços :cheers:

First of all you can't use your VITEM-IV Student Visa unless you're actually studying. You need to produce written confirmation from the educational institution that you're enrolled in a course or the DPF won't permit entry. The VITEM-IV is not intended to be a substitute for the VITUR Tourist Visa.

While the visa does not expire until the date shown, the visa stay permitted (prazo) becomes invalid the moment you stop studying, that's precisely VITEM-IV Visas are issued only for the short-term. So essentially it's not expired but no longer valid for entry because you're are not entering in the condition of student, That is why they forced you to use your VITUR the last time.

That leaves you only two options, enroll in a qualifying course of some kind, or enter on your VITUR Tourist Visa. If you're studying in Brazil you need a VITEM-IV, if you're here for the purpose of tourism and you're not studying then you're a tourist, and require a VITUR, you can't have it both ways.

Regarding the date on the RNE, no that doesn't mean you can stay in the country until then if you're no longer in the condition of student. It just is the date on which you would have to renew the RNE if you were still studying.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi,

I am planning to commit to studying Portuguese in Rio for 6 to 12 months next year as I have an opportunity to take a short career break and was hoping to hear about other peoples experiences.

My plan is attend one of the recognized universities / colleges and to apply for a VITEM-IV Student Visa in my home country once a place is confirmed ( I gather this is the correct process)

Is there anywhere I can access a list of approved colleges or Universities ( I have looked at the PUC website but it is a bit confusing and I have been unable to get through on the phone :) ...)

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Justin.

Rest assured that PUC will most certainly be on the approved list. It is one of the most prestigious universities in Brazil.

Cheers,
James     Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Are you aware of any cases where people have stayed on a student visa for 6 or 12 months ?

I m really keen to become proficient and feel that this amount of time invested in learning the language will be required as I am currently a beginner having recently started classes.

Cheers, Justin.

Hi James,

One more question on this topic if thats ok ?

I am about to apply for a VITEM-IV Student Visa as thankfully I have been accepted on one of the Portuguese language courses on the approved list... the course runs from January 2016 to December 2016 but I would ideally like to arrive in Brasil in December of this year so that I can arrange rental accommodation and familiarize myself with the area etc. etc.

Is it possible to enter on a tourist visa and stay for December and then activate the VITEM-IV Student Visa in January ?

Many thanks,

Justin.

The entry date is usually specified on the visa by the Consulado-Geral do Brasil that issues it. You'd really need to discuss your desire to enter the country a bit earlier in order to arrange permanent accommodations at the time you apply.

Generally speaking this is not done, they will usually only authorize entry a few days prior to beginning the course. It should not be too difficult to arrange accommodations because generally the universities have some mechanism for students to announce shared accommodations, etc.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi, I have a VITEM II business visa (duration 90 days, ext 90 days). If I were to find a language program during my first leg, and wish to go past 180 days by way of a student visa—I realize I need to exit Brazil—do I need to return to my country of origin, USA, to apply for the new visa or could I go to, say, Buenos Aires (as a tourist) whilst applying for the Brazilian student visa?

eg:
BRZ business visa issued in USA, ~180 days in Brazil 
ARG tourist visa issued in BRZ, ~7 days in Argentina
BRZ student visa issued in ARG, ~180+ in Brazil

ps. I am a U.S. citizen

Hello bkblaine,

You can apply for the VITEM-IV Student Visa wherever you wish to, provided that you have all the correct documentation. Regardless of which Consulado-Geral do Brasil you apply to, your case will be handled based on your citizenship (i.e. passport), not on where you apply.

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Thanks, James!