Moving to Bulgaria Jan 2016- Formalities to buy car, open bank account

Hi

Thought I better get some info from you guys who are  already living in Bulgaria. My husband and I have made the decision to move to Bulgaria in January and need some info on what documents we need etc for our first 5 years.
We already own a house which we've had since 2008questions I have are
1. What documents do we need to enable us to buy a car
2. How do we go about opening a bank account
3. How do we transfer money from UK to Bulgaria

Probably will have loads more questions when it gets nearer the time ...... Eek, so so excited!!!!

Tina & simon

All I can answer is #2. It is easy and more or less quick. Choose your bank, go in with your passport (residence permit if you have one), ask to open an account. Decide on the features you want, the bank will run your passport (takes anywhere from an hour to a couple of days) and you will have an open account. Debit cards usually are sent to the bank about a week after you open your account. I think you need a minimum of 2 lv or something to open most accounts.

Thank you for your reply.
Do you know if we can make transfers from UK bank into it?

Tina

Hi,

Yes ofcourse, I myself live permanent in Varna. I am from Holland and transfer money from my ING Bank to Piraeus. Only you have to know ofcourse the IBAN and BIC from your Bulgarian Bank. I myself have Piraeus Bank.

You need a bank account to get permission for permanent stay.

Have a nice evening,

Paul

i,m with Lloyds and i tranfer money across without any problems, Good Luck with the move.

1. All you need is cash to buy a car, then you have to get insurance, liability and if you want full coverage. If you are buying from a dealer they will handle all the paperwork, if you buy from an individual they will help you out (that's what I did and the guy took care of most things) you need to get a notary for the transfer again I'd buying from an individual.
2. If takes 30min to open an acc. (At least that's how it was for me)
3. You can transfer just by regular wire if you have online banking you can even do it over the net, money is in your acc usually the next business day.

P.S. When I say you don't need anything else but cash to buy a car, that's litteral, you don't even need drivers license, now if you get pulled over that's a different story.

Thank you for the info - big help

Tina

I'm in bullbank in Bulgaria
I have used a company to transfer of minimum 4,000 then its free
Halifax have stated now that they transfer at £9.00 as most banks is £24.00 upwards
Burbank do internet banking on euros and levs,but then you need exchange rates from uk sterling

Contact your American Embasy they know all the banks that have English speaking people
You cant drive with an American DL for longer then 6 months
You need to learn Bulgarian
Do not buy anything big, until you know all the rules and laws and speak and write semi fluent Bulgarian

Where have you heard 6 months? Everywhere I read it says 1 year...

Do you have a name of an American bank that offers a checkings and savings accounts in Sofia? I cant seem to find it in google

Some people told me that you can only drive here for 6 months on a foreign license , so they gave me the wrong info!
However, I don't recommend driving because a car is like supporting a child with a chocolate mania! They always need and want something.
It is cheaper in any country with public transportation

:) It is my pleasure ! I hope your stay in Bulgaria is more peaceful then in your own country!
I also recommend something else! Be open minded to the changes you go through, do not get yourself down. Everything is fixable and nothing is permanent. Be an optimist and not a pessimist! Life is not about things and posessions. Live life to the fullest and don't be afraid of anything that might happen! Nothing lasts forever! Things have to happen in your life that teach you your way on this earth and the sooner you get comfortable that there will be bumps on your journey!
If you need anything write me!