South Africans living in Belgium

If you are South African or have any connection with South Africa, please let me know

I am trying to start a social group where South Africans living in Belgium can meet up and go to social events from time to time

Please let me know, I am keen to meet you all

Thank you

Pieter

There are already a few FB groups which do this.

Thank you Tervurener, I wasn't aware that this type of thing already exists on Facebook

Do you know a name of one or two of them so that I can check it out?

I might join them because I'm not trying to do something extra-ordinary but rather just to get in touch with a few Sounth Africans :-)

Many thanks
Pieter

try typing "South Africans Belgium" into the seach field on FB.

Shall do thanks

Hello Pieter,

You can also have a look at the South African expatriates in Belgium network. ;)

Great, thank you

Do yDo you know of people  tha are interested in the Afrikaans festival in Den Haag?

I think it is a great opportunity and I am pretty sure that I  will go and have a look at what's happening

Thank you all again for your help and hopefully we'll talk again soon

Pieter

Hey everyone,

Perhaps some of you can provide a bit of guidance/advice on a few questions I have since my wife and I are looking at immigrating to Belguim. We dont know where in Belguim yet, but with the advice given it would help with our decision. We both are Sout African and currently working and living in Hong Kong and have lived and worked in London prior to moving here. I work for consulting engineers as a Cad Technician and my wife as nanny for high profiled people. Our 1st language is Afrikaans and 2nd is English.

1. What is a average but good salary for one to receive in Belguim.
2. Where in Belguim is best to live.
3. How does sponsorship work in Belguim.
4. Does the weather vary in different parts of Belguim.
5. Is there perhaps anyone on this website that works for an engineering firm or know of anyone working for an engineering firm?

Perhaps if there are any other infotmation that would be usefull would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steven

Hi Steven and Sune, the "best place to live" is very subjective. Given that you speak Afrikaans, it might be easer for you to evolve in a dynamic Flemish town like Antwerp. Many Belgians do speak English but in order to truly integrate you should learn one of the national languages. I'm based in Brussels, it's a very multicultural city that could somehow remind you of London (the weather is as bad thorough the country). Take a glance on stepstones.be for career prospects. Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Of course, I should of put it in a different context. I will have a look at Stepstones. We are still far away from making our move and decision. We are thinking of the Netherlands as an option too.

Thank you!

I am Sandra , South AFrican, living in Gent in Belgium.

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls)

I fear the recent nasty events in France will have the most negative effect on the plans of those set to immigrate to this country. The French appear to be really frightened by those ISIS terrorist attacks in Paris and I guess they now see every Arab as a terrorist. No wonder at all!
I'm really glad we can enjoy safety in Belgium where my family moved to couple of years ago. We got really warm welcome, my wife and me, and our three kids. It took quite long to find a suitable job in the construction firm I'm working now. And all this time we were able to lead normal life on the special money Belgium authorities were paying us. There are also lots of Somali refugees here and they all are quite happy with how it goes for them in Belgium.
Unfortunately there've been rumors prompting possible quotas introduction on jobs for Middle East immigrants soon. I'm sure this will also affect immigrants from Africa. So, hurry up, if you are really in search of better life in Belgium or other European country.

Hello Abu9,

Welcome on board  :)

thank you for your contribution to this thread, but i would just like to point out that it has been inactive for a long time.

It will surely be better to participate on more recent thread of the Belgium forum.

All the best,
Bhavna

Hi All,
Moving to Belgium in July'17. Been in France the last six years.
I have joined the FB group and hope there are 'kuiers' organised in belgium.
Will be missing our annual braai in September in France :(
Ciao
Chantel