Panama Lifts Ban on Gun Imports Amid Rising Crime Wave

Excerpts from 5 August 2015 article, Panampost:

"As Panama deals with increases in crime rates, forged gun permits, and rising gang activity, the government is set to lift the ban on firearm imports, in an effort to promote personal safety".

"Public Safety Minister, Rodolfo Aquilera said that the country will follow the United States and Switzerland, where the right to bear arms is believed to lead to fewer homicides".

"Aquilera added that new regulations will include criminal and psychological background checks for future gun owners".

Read the full story at:

http://www.panampost.com/panam-staff/20 … crime-wave

panampost.com/panam-staff/2015/08/05/panama-lifts-ban-on-gun-imports-amid-rising-crime-wave

Great. Now the kids will steal your guns as well as your cash. I will feel so much safer with every doofus playing cops and robbers with real bullets. After all, didn't the proliferation of guns make America a safer place? Rhetorical question.

I believe in the 2nd amendment,  none of the shootings in the US have been from underground  guns. All of them, we're purchased legally

Note:  The last sentence of the article states, "In 2012, the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime estimated that an average of 700,000 firearms circulated through Panama's streets". 

In 2012 the population of Panama was estimated to be 3.8 million.  There was a proliferation of guns in Panama long before North American expats arrived.

The 2nd amendment? What's that? I thought that was a U.S. thing. Is that relevant? (another rhetorical question)

PacificaMaryAnn wrote:

There was a proliferation of guns in Panama long before North American expats arrived.

There were American expats in Panama long before 2012. But in any case, why make it worse?  True fact:
"More Americans have died from guns in the United States since 1968 than on battlefields of all the wars in American history."

The 2nd amendment rocks!

Not to be rhetorical. Lol But how does one protect themselves, living in a land of rules made on the cuff.

SunsetSteve:
I just posted the article because it is news from Panama and is of interest on this site due to the "Safety in Panama" thread below.  The recent home invasion and attempted murder of a widow, living alone in Chiriquí has stirred the gun debate among expats.  She was shot twice and is recovering in the hospital.  Read about her attack on the Chiriquí Chatter blog.  She did not own a gun but was almost murdered for some cash.

I am not interested in a debate on U.S. vs. Canada vs. Panama gun laws or whether Canada or the US has the most doofuses, as you called gun owners.

Defence!

If you bring up the subject of looser gun laws, a discussion on gun laws is what you will get. Every time.

More people have died from cars !! Do we do away with them?  Just a thought.  And I do think there is a problem in the states.

Guys I live near Disney, more crime here than New Orleans. Young black males 18 to 28 is open season.
It's sad when someone  is violated, or hurt. Use the buddy system. But don't give up. Things will turn around.

oldfart wrote:

More people have died from cars !! Do we do away with them?  Just a thought.  And I do think there is a problem in the states.

this year gun deaths are expected to surpass car deaths.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a … ne/384440/

That is a very interesting article. I had not seen it.

Excellent article! !

Just to add some balance to the discussion:

http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/tenmyths.html

I have been waiting 19 months so far for my shotgun permit and who knows how much longer...

Where do you get those numbers?