Top Things I Learned While Visiting Expat.Com's Country Forums

Top Things I Learned at the Buenos Aires Forum....

Buenos Aires, Argentina's capital, is South America's most-visited city. 

The city itself has almost 3-million residents with a total of 13-million in metro Buenos Aires.

Here are the top things I learned while visiting Expat.com's Buenos Aires forum....

10.  Poster Wynn Woods said it's hard to get a residency visa due to an archaic system and incompetency.

9.  E.J. Donovan and Lisa Bess, in separate posts, said you need a minimum of 5-6,000 Argentine pesos (ARS) per month for living expenses.  6,000 pesos currently is about $635 US.

8.  Scottish Nomad posted in 2013 that she and most Expats she knew were getting out of Argentina due to inflation and crime.  She hasn't posted on Expat.com since 2013.

7.  Bearded poster Jerry is a photojournalist living with his Argentine wife Ale since 2012.  He sells his work overseas 100 percent as the Argentine agencies give total preference to ARG nationals.  Except for government corruption -- they've made an "art" of it -- he likes just about everything in Buenos Aires, including the people and the food.

6.  A thread called "Playmate" had nothing to do with Playboy Magazine, and everything to do with an Expat mother looking for friends for her 12-year-old daughter.

5.  Poster Ayman Zaid said anything offered in dollars is a trap.

4.  Wynn Woods said language institutes frequently hire foreigners to teach English, but the pay is low and often delivered late.

3.  Christmas can be a tough time to visit Buenos Aires due to high prices and lack of sufficient transportation.

2.  Eamonn McMahon posted that B.A. is a "city of dogs."  So many pet dogs, he says.

1.  And the #1 thing I learned at the Buenos Aires forum...

Multiple posters suggested that a great getaway area is the Tigre Delta (pronounced TEE-gray), a 40-minute train ride away -- an area filled with nature and peacefulness.

cccmedia in Ecuador

Love lives in Jordan- so many love posts on the Jordan forumn

After visiting Expat.com's Sweden forum, I have lost any interest in visiting that country.  This is the most negativity I have encountered on any Expat.com country forum.

Monika E L from Canada wanted to find work but "hit a wall."  Employers kept telling her, "You're great but you don't speak Swedish. Sorry."

Posters were waiting six months to a year for a residency visa.  Apparently nine months has been the norm in recent years for the bureaucrats at migrationsverket to process an application.

Jenna has become a "toxic Expat" in Goteborg.  She says wintertime there is gray with "slush and muck everywhere."  Apartment waiting lists are 2-5 years if you don't have juice.  The job market, she says, is hard even for Swedes to crack.  Sweden is "not all candy and rainbows and unicorns."

Jane, 21, had just moved to Stockholm from Nigeria, and was looking for friends.  Tim Fowler offered her some hope, saying the bars Tudor Arms and The Liffey are good places.

NotesfromtheNorth was less than encouraging.  "Leave now," he told a recent arrival from Canada, "before the rigid system, frigid social life, prolonged unemployment and dark winters derange and extinguish your North American optimism."

Max, an Italian teacher posting from Turin, Italy .. launched a thread a while back looking for work in Sweden.  No one has responded.

Yeractual is disappointed in the phone service.  The suppliers are "useless" with no concern for customer rights.  Tella is "an overpriced near-monopoly service of poor value."

Jo, an Expat from the Netherlands, offered up a bright spot, saying her six-year-old son was welcomed into a school in Rodon .. has adjusted well since arriving last year .. and has no interest in returning to Amsterdam.

A poster from Gothenburg writes:  "At first it's fresh, then the xenophobia and institutionalized racism become more and more obvious."  Swedes, he says, are hard to get to know.

cccmedia in Ecuador

Top Ten Things I Learned at the Lima, Peru, forum...

Lima is the capital and the largest city in Peru.  It's on the Pacific Ocean with Ecuador to the North and Chile to the South.

10.  There is consensus that Peru needs English teachers.

9.  Monolish from Holland agrees, but says such positions don't pay "that much."

8.  Pistachio posts that Internet providers in Lima offer high speeds... 8mb/second.

7.  Bugsy got a job offer as a chef, but didn't know how to go about the paperwork.

6.  Uwwgal answered Bugsy, saying he needed to get his contract approved by the Ministerio de Trabajo and then seek a carnet de extranjera at Migraciones.  Uww called that process "long and super fun."  That could be sarcasm.

5.  Tango 4848 has determined that Peru is a "nest of scammers and liars" and "full beggars."

4.  Alexislat disagrees.  "This country is full of hard-working people who only seek the best for themselves and their families and welcome foreigners all the time.  So be respectful...."

3. Amabilis 2010 from Australia launched a thread titled "Looking for the right family."  He wanted to park his Sri Lankan wife, age 42, with a family for six months while he travels around Peru doing volunteer work.  The wife can cook, clean and teach English and "Singalese," he said.

2. Lin 125 is holding up two cocktail glasses in her avatar photo.  She's "homesick" and looking for someone to hang out with.  A male respondant posted, "With two glasses of liquor and that crazy smile, I don't think you'll have any problem to meet people."

And the #1 thing I learned at the Lima, Peru, forum:

1.  USA Expat PD 23152 -- age 28 and "considering citizenship through marriage" -- wanted to enlist in the Peruvian military.  He explained:  "I want to prove my loyalty to my new land."

cccmedia

Best plus cheap area to retire

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR