Expected expanses in valencia

Hello every one!
I am planning to move to valencia. I just want to get information what is cost of life in spain.
are 1000 euros enough for family of four (husband, wife and 2 children of age 2.5 and 1 year )?
are 1000 euros enough for family of 2 (husband, wife(house wife))?
please give me some idea about cost of living..breaking the budget into parts (if u can)

Hi jabeen456,

You might want to have a look at this topic : Cost of living in Spain – 2015.
I think that you will find some useful information here. ;)

Thanks

Priscilla

thanks Priscilla
but problem what i found is that there is a big difference in cost of living in different cities.
I have been hearing that 1000 euro per month are not enough to live for two persons and one baby(earning by being self employed). So i wanted to get some authentic info about the issue.

Hi Jabeen456,

In my opinion 1000eur monthly to live with a whole family (maybe even with 2 persons only) is not enough. Allthough you could already rent a 3 bedroom flat for 300eur/ month (outside the centre), the sumministry costs (electricity/gas, water, garbage tax) will be about 120eur monthly (average), of course depending on what you would consume. Then all the basic living costs like mobile / internet, supermarket, clothes, transport will increase the monthly spending. See also following link with average prices of all sort of living costs: numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Spain&city=Valencia

I hope this information helps you to get an idea of the Valencia living costs.

Kind regards, Christa

Thanks Chrisbizz
I am really thankful for your response. As i see you live in valencia so who else can be better than u to guide. I saw different forums and was of opinion that 1000 euros may not be enough. I further believe that with the time, cost will even increase not just because of prices getting higher but due to expanses on schooling of children and their other activities like entertainment etc. what do you think what should be suitable monthly income (after taxes)?
and what are the chances to have income higher than 1500 euros a month considering establishing a shop (may be a fruit shop or a barber shop) just now?
Thanks again dear :)

Don't think even 2,000€ is enough.  Childrens schooling, transport to school, school dinners.  Transport costs for yourselves wherever you are going (although there is a metro and buses in Valencia - metro also goes out of Valencia to certain towns). In the winter depending how you heat the property, electric is expensive.  The theres rates and rent of a property.   I live in Gandia - We are two retirees. We have about 3,000€ a month. We have our own property granted but because we live in a small village our outgoings are very small.  We do save however, but this goes towards going to the UK once a year, repairs and renewals etc.   Don't come if your pay packet is low, you won't enjoy it you will always be thinking of money - where is it etc.

Thanks Barnie
2000 euro/month after paying taxes through out the year is a hard thing( I think so having no permanent job and working as self employed). what do you think of this?
and one thing my expanses will not include wine because we dont consume it and hope we will get away without it..

My computer went down half way through the message.   Thats another thing. Kids now have computer homework - our computer is nothing like england and we pay 65€ for 10 Megs and even then its not really 10. Then there is your bill on top of that.

I forgot also that you have to pay for your childrens books, unlike England and the uniform.  I think you would be really unwise to even think of coming to Valencia.

If you are unemployed, what are you going to do...... Spanish people tend to hire Spanish people - Unemployment benefit is paid by the previous employer and depending how long you worked, is what you have to live on.  Across the road from me, she works in a factory and works nights to make a living whilst her husband is still living on unemployment benefit but I guess that could be ending very soon.  I can't see her having more than 1,000€ a month. They have 2 kids (small) each goes to nursery/school.  They never go out any more, and think they only just and so skim by.  What happens if you children are ill?   Who will look after them?? We have many many unemployed people both Gandia and in our town of Palma de Gandia. All ages and sexes.   Some are cocky that they get unemployment benefit to last them, unlike England, they take a dim view of unemployment and people who come to the area without jobs.   There are at least 3 people I know that have gone to London to work and live.

There are lots and lots of fruit and veg shops and you have to register that kind of shop with the council. A barber's/ahridressers shop - please don't think i am rude but forget it.  The shops like these are finding it hard enough as it is.  Hairdressers opposite El Cort Inglis Wash/cut/Colour 28€ and thats v cheap.  Think of somewhere else or stay where you are at the moment until things come together.  They say that English & Spain are out of the recession, you never know with Spain what to believe.   Take it from me, we are due to vote in just 2 weeks time and I have never seen a candiate yet. That says it all.  I still love living here though but then i am retired.

thanks Barnie
for your detailed analysis. you found time for me. for this i am really thankful to you. Actually my boyfriend just got his papers and he was saying he can earn up to 1500 euros per month by buying some veg or fruit shop and thats more than enough to live in valencia (valencia city,cheap according to him). but you explained it well enough. i will reconsider my decision. any further guidance on the issue (if you have in your mind and i expect you can still unfold some aspects that i may face if i come) will be welcome.thanks :):)

i will also request Chrisbizz to give a little more input about the issue.
that will make easy for me to decide... althogh Barnie has explained it really well and am thankful for such a good response.

i will come back to you next week. In the uk but mark your message unread. Please don't come. I wouldn't advise my daughter.  I think your boyfriend has this thing in his mind but it isn't a bad thing.  Its not England where you will be able to claim this and that, you won't. Fruit and veg shops have to be registered and if you do not register them, you are out - I have seen it, Gandia had 2 veg "shops" and they were literally turfed out.   People look on this with distate and I can't tell you how many shops, garages selling fruit and veg get closed down. But i will tell you about it next week. Could write a book, maybe should have done....

i will wait... thanks for your love and care:)

I live in Galicia in a rural area on the coast and even then 1000 euro would not be enough with my 500 euro inexpensive house rental, heating costs (one full tank of gasoil of 500 l or so is about 420 euro, a bottle of butane gas is about 25 euro) in your case maybe also a/c), cleaning lade and/or baby/pet sitter between 6 and 9 euro and hour depending on skills and location), transportation costs (a 1 to 5 km bus ride is 1,10)  car, insurances for car and health care, furniture/interior decoration if not furnished (very expensive, try to avoid so get it rented furnished) etc. In Valencia, a major city. it would be at least double that for maybe 2 to 3 persons. A family of four (any pets, they cost a lot too) you can be looking at 2500-3000 euro a month in town, unless you are ready for a long commute.
Finding a job to supplement is unlikely unless you go work global omnline for a foreign customer or employer.

thanks paper detective
what i am finding is that salaries are low, self employment is expensive (in terms of social securities and taxes, and life (good enjoyable) is expansive ...(for 1000 to 1500 earner or even 2000 before paying in system)

Right, average salaries are very low here, at most half of what they are up north, so unless you have a pension from abroad or a high paying job or double income or any other revenues from abroad, Spain is no option to live in for a foreign family of four, despite its overall lower living expenses. Also take into account that the costs of setting up a household require a substantial initial investment for a family of four.
Furthermore, take into account that costs are rising here rapidly due to the serious fall of the Euro off late. Unless you get paid in pounds or dollars, it will hurt a lot here.

I am now back in spain after a lovely weekend in England, blowing a terrible wind and v cold.

I wll agree with paper detective on one point but not on others = firstly

Renting a property in Valencia so long as you are not in the centre is not expensive, but maybe to you. I don't know, and it depends on your income. http://www.livevalencia.org/longtermrental.htm   Go into google.es and it should bring more rental properties. Valencia is built into different barios or areas and the further away from the centre obviously the cheaper they come.

I think you have the picture now, and the answer is DON'T COME.  How do you think English people feel about immigrants coming into England. You are doing the same thing and the Spanish do not like it.   Wages are low enough for even the wholly Spanish people to survive. But hope that you can pass comments on to your boyfriend.

welcome back Barnie!
bigger picture has convinced me and i agree with you to great extent... but i think there is one thing you have not discussed... Its about paying in social security system and taxes... can you give me info about that too..as i have read social security is 250 euros per month...is it true ?
What is tax system ? particularly for those who will be self employed or run own shop?
any other things you want to suggest and explain or discuss... i will welcome them :)

sorry not a clue, we pay double taxation in spain and uk.  I honestly think you should give up and I am not going to answer any more questions.  You will NOT be able to live well and not earn enough and you will NOT be able to run a veg and fruit shop and if you do and are not registered well i hope you get caught by the police.  You are saying and planning just what everyone here in Spain abhors, then you will be saying you can't make it in Spain - you will NOT get any benefits. I am not, sorry going to answer any more questions.

Oh there is nothing to be sorry about...actually i am thankful...you found time and answered me while you could have easily ignored...but you helped me...for this you dont know how thankful i am...i have not seen you neither met you..i will always remember you as good adviser and helper....thanks :)

I'm sorry, but that story that the Spanish do not like you coming is an overly broad statement.
Many Spaniards here welcomed me,. They believe that foreigners may help them to pull out of their mess if they bring foreign funds/income and rightfully so.
It is true though, as I said before that , if you have no foreign income, you have no business coming here unless you are a whizz of some kind or a great business person.
As to the double taxation story, it is true that income gets taxed globally by Spanish tax payers, but the country has double taxation treaties to avoid paying twice so it is inaccurate to broadly say that one pays double taxes. What is important to know is that per jan 1, 2015 tax laws have changed and rates are coming down here and you also need to  report any foreign assets over 50.000 and autonomous regions here can just ignore national tax laws and treaties and charge you their own taxes. They say here that your income till mid June is now what you owe the government. Not sure how bad that is in the UK, If you pay significantly less there in taxes, the answer is clear that Spain is unaffordable as its lesser employment prospects, higher taxes and language and cultural barriers in many regions here (but not all) will not compensate for the savings in cost of living.

we pay double taxation in spain and uk sorry just checked with the boss and We now pay tax only in spain but we did at first. At the moment the £ v Euro is excellent so we get a little more money per month.  Having said that we came with money saved so need not ask anyone for anything.

Some of the things you have said paper detective is true. The politicians hope that foreigners can get them out of the mess but..... they have to be qualified at something.  Its not fair that someone comes into a country takes all and gives nothing back.  Where we live there is lots going on in business and most people pay their taxes. We have found (and I can only say English) that English people skip the tax system, the health system and the road system i.e. they drive round in English cars oblivious to the law. The law have enough to do as it is.

So you agree "It is true though, as I said before that , if you have no foreign income, you have no business coming here unless you are a whizz of some kind or a great business person"

sometimes English people come here to teach in an "English school" but we have heard this "English" and it wouldn't get someone a job in England - you must have conversational English.  I am pretty old, so everyone pardons me in the village but I can read and speak Spanenglish (as they say) and they laugh because I do hand signals.  My friend is a physio (30 years) and she speaks only Valenciano and Spanish and I have to think, but we both understand one another eventually.   I love it here. Our friends are fabulous.  Its just the odd ones in the small town we live in. These people swear at us (and I understand what they are saying lol)  We have been called "the English" and "we don't like the English" and people being very very aggresive and yet we keep and have kept to ourselves most of the time.  We mix into the village culture and every week we see whats going on (friend in tourist office keeps us up to date too but only because she is a friend, bless her) within the Valencian Province.  We have been thinking of moving somewhere else but why should we, just for the people who are horrible to us.  I can understand now why people live on an urbanisation - but they miss out on a lot. 

Moving on from fruit and veg - you would have to find it wholesale, and the veg shops in the Carmen area are horrible and well past their sell by date.

i am told 700 euros are enough to live. my husband is waiter. he says 700 to 800 are good enough for family. i am planning to come there!