"LIVING" in the United States on a B1/B2 Visa

dbalencar wrote:

Hi, I'm a Software Engineer and I work for an American Multinational company in Ireland.
My company has offices around the world and I'm able to work remotely from anywhere a good broadband connection is available. I've lived in the USA for some time on a H1-B visa (for another company), I even have an American daughter (born in Dallas while I was living there). I don't need a visa to enter the USA, as I'm a citizen of a country with Visa waiver program, but I'm just entitled to remain in the USA for just 3 months (90 days). My wife is Brazilian and has a B1/B2 Visa. Can we live in the USA (lease or buy an apartment/house, buy a car etc.) and travel to Ireland (or another country) every 3 months for one month and come back as many times as we want? I just want to set a base in the USA, as everything is so cheap and easy there. I just want to know if this is legal, I wouldn't lie to the immigration office or anything, if asked I would say that I live in the USA, but don't work there, and I would have my bank account to prove it etc. I just don't know of another special Visa for this kind of stay, where I'm not looking for work in the USA, but have a job elsewhere and can support myself and my family while living there.

In short, no. :) take a look here for an explanation.

Romaniac
Expat-Blog Experts Team

Hi friend

Im man from Algeria and related with girl US citizen from Cali since 2 years ago so my topic is about how to get fiance visa ?
So we r going to meet soon and meet as first step but we really don't know what to do next or what a should do during our meet ?
And my girl Is ready to apply for me as fiance visa after meeting but she don't know much things at the right steps
So please any helps or information and what wr have really to do
I will appreciate all

wow, you sure know how to put a damper on things. I say it is not as bad as you think based on a very recent example. My American friend brought his French girlfriend to the US on a tourist visa in April 2016, They got married after 2 months, and a few months later her green card came through. Obviously she didn't tell immigration at the border she is coming in to get married, but that WAS her intention.

I have a question about leaving the US to Mexico while on a B1/B2. I was visiting the US recently, and crossed over from El Paso, TX into Juarez, Mexico. I noticed there was ZERO  border control leaving the USA. You literally just pay like 50c and walk into Mexico, no ID or passport requests. I walked around Juarez for a few hours, and walked right back into the United States on foot. They thought I was Mexican lol (I'm not). No issues being let back in. However since no one swiped my passport leaving the US this way, and let's say I chose to leave the US this way permanently (via Mexico) - would the US Immigration file show I am still in the USA, even though I had left?

ManchesterWine wrote:

wow, you sure know how to put a damper on things. I say it is not as bad as you think based on a very recent example. My American friend brought his French girlfriend to the US on a tourist visa in April 2016, They got married after 2 months, and a few months later her green card came through. Obviously she didn't tell immigration at the border she is coming in to get married, but that WAS her intention.

Even though this is not uncommon, it's still illegal to do so as it is considered a visa fraud. But the process of Adjustment of Status can fix most minor visa frauds (such as a short overstay) by filing proper forms and paying the fines. This is the reason why you involve an immigration lawyer for this situation.

ManchesterWine wrote:

I have a question about leaving the US to Mexico while on a B1/B2. I was visiting the US recently, and crossed over from El Paso, TX into Juarez, Mexico. I noticed there was ZERO  border control leaving the USA. You literally just pay like 50c and walk into Mexico, no ID or passport requests. I walked around Juarez for a few hours, and walked right back into the United States on foot. They thought I was Mexican lol (I'm not).

Mexico doesn't have a problem with migration from the northern border. Almost all undocumented people coming from their northern border into Mexico are Mexican nationals. Try that on their southern border and that's a whole different ball game.

ManchesterWine wrote:

No issues being let back in. However since no one swiped my passport leaving the US this way, and let's say I chose to leave the US this way permanently (via Mexico) - would the US Immigration file show I am still in the USA, even though I had left?

Yes it would. But in this case it shouldn't be an issue if you leave the US within the allotted time. But let's say you go to Mexico then back to your country from there, the next time you come back to the US, they most likely will pull you into secondary inspection since you do not have an exit stamp.

Hello, I have a question - I am a dual citizen of Poland and the UK. My Polish passport has the B1/B2 visa and previously I always got the 6 month stay allowance on my 10 year visa. If I travel on my British passport using the visa waiver program, will they only stamp my passport for 90 days, or will I also get the 180 days? From a google search it appears that on my British passport they may only give me a 90 day stay. So should I use my Polish passport with the visa to get the 180 days? I plan to take 2018 as a sabbatical and spend 6 months in the US. I don't plan to work there, but only travel and write the novel I am working on. Thank you.

Very very informative

Thank you