How to make friends in Pennsylvania

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Pennsylvania :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Pennsylvania??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I suppose the best way to meet people in rural Pa is find employment and work hard.Be aware you may be a bit of an oddity for the locals and they will coo over the accent and good looks (assuming you are a Scot)
Dont fall for any of that , keep the head down and work hard , save your money and you'll see a dramatic inprovement rapidly in lifestyle.
Americans love to yak , you really wont have any problems there as they adore the accent..no kidding.
As your lifestyle improves it wont pass notice , Americans like to see people get ahead , they really do and you'll soon find people warming to you.
Do be aware the city and perhaps outlying areas do have serious drug problems,much more severe than anything we've seen in the UK.
In light of that do be careful of the people you might be with,even the most normal and nice people might very well be carrying drugs which could put you in a compromised position should Law enforcement at any point get involved.
The Law takes a very dim view and rightly so.

This drug so many are hooked on is called meth , i dont know nor do i wish to anything about it other than its highly addictive and the death of many once fine people.
I believe they smoke it.

Be careful and watchful of your situation and enviroment,chose your friends carefully.Also be aware that Pa does have a concealed weapon law so pretty much anybody could be carrying a gun and you wont know it.

Get involved with the outdoors whether its skiing the poconos or boating and kayaking , 4 wheel atv , hiking , theres many organisations.Go hunting if you like deer meat.
Theres also forums on line for just about every hobby you can think of which is always a good way to make new friends.

website, or friends knowing friends

Depending on which big city you live closest to, become a fan of either the Pittsburgh or Philadelphia sports teams and you will meet some very passionate people.

Hi
I have been Pennsylvania  since January, I have no friends here
Nice to meet you all

Kate Tran wrote:

Hi
I have been Pennsylvania  since January, I have no friends here
Nice to meet you all

There are good Vietnamese restaurants, one on Union Blvd closer to Bethlehem.  If you are Catholic, then there are many activities which are a good way to meet people.  My wife is a Filipina and we would be happy to invite you to some of our gatherings, we do know a few local Vietnamese, if that is helpful.  Please send me a Personal Message if you want more information.  We are having a gathering at a local Filipino restaurant in 10 days.

Meet up groups vary, but many I have come across typically charge $1 to each person who comes to an event. Some don't charge anything, and some do ask for a higher amount for the year.
Meet up is a very good way to get out and do things; I am in a different area and have done about 3 different groups. It's a very variable group of people, (each time you go might be different group of people showing up) but it's definitely worth while checking out.
Depending on what activity/place they are choosing it really can suit you very well. Good luck and report back and let us know how it goes for you.

Havana87 wrote:

Meet up groups vary, but many I have come across typically charge $1 to each person who comes to an event. Some don't charge anything, and some do ask for a higher amount for the year.
Meet up is a very good way to get out and do things; I am in a different area and have done about 3 different groups. It's a very variable group of people, (each time you go might be different group of people showing up) but it's definitely worth while checking out.
Depending on what activity/place they are choosing it really can suit you very well. Good luck and report back and let us know how it goes for you.

Not sure what an Australian living in India has to do with making friends in Pennsylvania.

Hi
Nice to hear from you
Can you give me te name of this Vietnamese restaurant?

Kate Tran wrote:

Hi
Nice to hear from you
Can you give me te name of this Vietnamese restaurant?

Pho #1 Vietnamese Restaurant,  1500 Union Blvd.
There is also one on MacArthur Road, never been to it.

As someone who unfortunately has been born and raised in Pa my whole 36 years of life...this was beautiful to read...really...you definitely figured out Pa...lol I loved reading your post....funny but real... I agree with everything you said ...I believe... I'm in central pa...not sure where you are.... But I'm in a small town.....hoping to move to a bigger city soon...hopefully out of good ole Pa..Haha... Hope your doing well..... Much love to you and yours.....may PA treat you all well ... Or should I say Youns....hahaHa