Homeschooling in Sri Lanka

Hi

I was wondering if home schooling was allowed in Sri Lanka?

Thank you
Caroline

[Moderated]

I need to learn about it too... Is there any one knows about it???

hi- sorry i am late to the party. to my knowledge, home schooling is allowed. i had an ex colleague that home schooled his two children. as to the curriculum, accreditation, teachers, etc. i do not know much. but can find out.

Hi I am Delani, yes i was home schooled yes it can be done in Sri Lanka looking at having my 2 kids home school as well.
Thaere are a few things you need to be aware of if u want to do this so let me know
cheers

I m coming to Sri Lanka end of this month! Could you give me more details about homeschooling and curriculums which accept by Sri Lanka! And do i need register to my kids any where or do they need to take a test or what?!?
Thank you so much for your help

Hi Delani, I would like to homeschool my boy who is 7 years old. Do you know if there are groups of parents that homeschool here in Colombo? It would be such a great help not only to share experience but also to facilitate the socializing of the children. I would also like to know what are the things I should be aware of, you mentioned in your post. thank you very much

Hi Silvia. Welcome to Sri Lanka! My name is Renuka and I teach English as well. But I would love to talk to you about/ show you around/ Sri Lanka. I left employment in an international organisation in Sri Lanka, to set up my own communications business I have shown several expat friends around my country, and have also been to several cities in Italy, including Venice. Am a top contributor on Tripadvisor - just to give you some authenticity as to my credentials. My mail is xxx. Do mail if you need any more information

Enjoy your stay!

best wishes

Renuka

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please avoid posting your contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Yes it is Caroline... just not so easy to find good teachers

Renuka

Dear Delanie,

I wonder if you could give me more details about Home Schooling in Sri Lanka.
I have 2 kids who are in Year 5 and 4 and would like to continue giving them home-schooling, and how could they register to do their O/L and A/L one day??

If you could send me a reply to my personal email xxxx would greatly appreciate!!

With my best regards!!

Priya

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.

Hi

Home schooling is not allowed in Sri Lanka as a prospect generally.

Hi Pubudu,

Much appreciated your reply!!

Yes I was thinking the same according to our educational system I have never heard such thing..

Kind regards!!

Priya

Hi Priya,

Yes, there is a lot to develop in terms of education and the system. it's a good tendency of getting some language education those who are native in those languages as well.

if you are in SL, please inbox me your contact details have a good time for you all.

What to be aware of

If you are foreign you can pretty much do what you would like. I have known two foreign families who homeschool and none has ever said anything. There children were actually in school for the first year they were here but then they decided to homeschool. Boy- I think she is really regretting it.

Hi.
Need some information on home schooling.
My children are 11 years and 3years. Both are going to school now but I'm considering homeschool.

Would appreciate if I can get some help in how it works.

Thanks.

Hi,

yes, but in accordence to sri lankan law, children under age of 18, cannot be used for labour. They require to attend school

I am very much interested can you please give me some details

Moderated by Chris 5 years ago
Reason : For your own safety please avoid sharing your personal contact details on the forum.

We moved from Canada,we are looking options  home schooling for my daughter currently on grade 5

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed on the forum

Hi J.N.MUDIAPPA,

Kindly do not use this forum as a free platform to promote your own business, please.

Post your credentials under the appropriate Jobs section. Thanks.

Hi Dilani

I could use your help, I am seriously considering home schooling my kids. I am currently clueless on how to get started.

Appreciate your support

Thanks
Jeffry

please let me know more about homeschooling in srilanka

Hi can i get info for home schooling in colombo? I have 2,5 years daughter.. i tried to join her in american press school ,but unfortunatelly after sometime she is refused to go to school.. and crying everytime we mention about school.. so we decided not sto send her again at least now. And mean while me and my husband thinking to try home schooling for her... I appriciate if anybody can share rhe info about home schooling in colombo.

Thanks
Ia fazal

Any body interested home schooling  in sri Lanka ?

As to my knowledge there is a mandatory 13 year education in SL. And there is a certain amount of presence policy for taking yearly examination to climb up grades.
Home schooling may exist under the authority of ministry of education for kids who have another citizenship for instance kids of diplomats or for kids who have another valid reason.
I do not think it is that hard to find tutors for home schooling either but a kid has to have certificates from a valid authority for further higher education. A certificate from a tutor has no value at all.

Avenues in Dehiwala ***

I'm in Colombo. Can you recommend a very good  Mathematics teacher to Teach my kids ( 14 and 16).

Hi, Since I am not living in the country right now I have no direct contact with any tutor. Please check on these sites I hope you will find a good tutor. All the best!

http://www.mytutor.lk/teachers_and_tuit … ;fk_subjechttps://ikman.lk/en/ads/colombo/tuition … e=for_sale

Hi I'm also looking to homeschool my 10 & 8 year olds. Any groups, suggestions, ect? Thanks

Hi

Are you home schooling your kids ? I am thinking of Home schooling my 3 boys but the research hows that its not Legal in SL. Would appreciate your help if you have more information.

Best Regards
Neomi

Hi,
Could you please provide me with more details about the school & also the school fees? As I'm stuck with up & down due to the pandemic situation. As you know that I don't want to take a risk on my kids sending to school till this pandemic over. please help me with more details as I'm looking for homeschooling for my kids as well.

thank you.
[link moderated]

currently i am providing classes via online for math and science

Hi Dilani,
We are looking for homeschooling for our son. So We need some more info about this.. How can I contact..
thanks

Hi

with the current situation in the country I'm very much interested in homeschooling my son age 13+ how do we get about it ? (he follows the local syllabus)

TIA
Marietta

Hi Dilanie,

Please be kind enough to share the details you have in regards to homeschooling
I'm desperately looking for this option.

Thank you
Marietta

To Marietta and all others who want to get in touch with member with the username "decoded" aka Delani,   

Last time she had been active in the forum was for three years ago, so we have to manage ourselves without her contribution.

According to the law of education in Sri Lanka (you find it somewhere here https://www.lawnet.gov.lk/education-2/ ) it is stated that a child between age 6 to 14 must have an education but it is not stated clearly (as how I can read it) how the education should go, for instance it should happen in a school or somewhere else. 

However as to my own surprise Sri Lanka does not exist in the list of the countries that have a compulsory education, and also does not exist in the list of the countries that do not have a compulsory education.

What I think is, since the literacy level is 93.2% among the whole population and it is 94% among male and 92% among female and these statistics have been intact since some decades, no one has a reason to care about the law or how the things work in practice.

However best thing to do is to contact the ministry of education https://moe.gov.lk/contact-us/ and also the Department of examinations  https://doenets.lk/ and ask them how you should proceed as a parent if you want to homeschool your children.

Please don't go by some random advice/recommendation from a random person on the net, it is about your children's education.

@dicoded Dear Delani,

Im a professional working in minstry of education  . I am intersted in this topic people having on these days. Would you mind share your experience and your choldren's experience as well.

With regards,

Madhuka Fernando

@dicoded Hi Delani,

Iam a official who is working in Minstty of Education in Sri Lanka. I am interested in this concept of Sri Lankans and. Would you mind share your experience with me and your kids as well.

Hello Madhuka,

Welcome on board !

Please note that it's been a while since dicoded last connected to the website.

All the best

Bhavna