Medications

Is there anyway to see online what medications are available in Belize vs what isn't?

No our pharmacist is bringing in the medications my wife needs that they do not stock. so while it may not be stocked at one place you could find it at another or order it in.

oh yes we came with 6 months supply

Good to know. I get mine free from the VA so I might have them send to Houston and pick up every 3 or 6 months if they are too expensive locally.If, by chance, you are in Placencia please send me pharmacy info.

Did they bother you for prescriptions to get them? The VA can't write a prescription to outside people but, I have copies of their disbursement paperwork

hi are you considering Placencia to rent or buy? that's where I want to settle. when are you planning on going?
Pam
Missouri

I am in Dangriga and just showed the previous prescription to have them ordered. the pharmacies are small and there are quite a few of them, if one does not stock chances are another will. The cost is less than we were paying in Canada.

I'll be in country on the 23rd. I'm staying in Placencia for a couple months to see if it's where I want to settle. As for buying, I never want to own anything again! :) Time to just relax with as few keys on the ring as possible.

I have found that certain medications will not be refilled. I came with a two month supply of sleep aid with 3 refills remaining and was told that I would have to see the doctor prior to them giving me a refill. The doctor inside the pharmacy is $25 the clinic doctor is free or works on donation basis. Other medications have been no problem getting refilled even without a prescription. Note; I am in Caye Caulker and so far I have only found one pharmacy.

Fortunately nothing I take should be too difficult I wouldn't think. Cholesterol, stuff for acid reflux, potassium, Naproxin, etc. While I'm fortunate to get free medical now the thought of paying just $25 to see someone for a prescription shocks me considering co-pays here have risen to ridiculous amounts!

O Bob that is exactly what i'm saying, selling everything!! Don't want to own anything any more. I live in a 3 bedroom home and 1/2 acre. I'm in the process of selling now, have all my lawn equipment and almost all furniture sold and moving into a 1 bedroom downstairs apartment. In 2 years when i get ready to go to Belize i want to be ready. :)

Actually the $25 is for a real office visit. I have not had to see either doctor but the word here is go to the clinic which is free for minor things but see the doctor at the pharmacy for more serious attention.

ask around about meds. alot in mexico come from china and are fake, might be true in belize too.

http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/d/s … k/c/32445/

Placencia has an excellent pharmacist as well as a wonderful local doctor. Both are highly valued in the community. If you are going to be in Placencia, please be aware that many drugs we take for granted here are not available and they simply can't get them. We used to drive to Chetumal and plan an over night there to get drugs not availabe in Belize. Would arrive before 5 pm, go to the pharmacy, place the order, and then the next day they would come in from Merida. Also gave us a change to go to Burger King and McDonalds...you think you won't miss them. Talk to me after six months. LOL!

I have Tricare for Life and use Express scripts for mail order. 
express scripts told me they do NOT ship over seas because it is against the law.
Did you find out different from the VA?  If so please let me know
Sharlyn828