Cost of living in Spain – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Spain in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Spain you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Spain?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Barcelona - great public transport by bus or underground and taxis.  Buy a T-10 ticket at metro terminals "M".  Can use for 10 rides for bus or underground metro cost abt 9.75 Euros.  Great discounts for other tickets ... otherwise you pay about 2.10 euros each ride.  Very dependable and very frequent in city - will not need a private car

Why not submit those pieces of data to numbeo.com for the benefit of the whole Internet? In return you get to use their comparison tools on all the collected data from cities all over the world.

Great advise, pseudochirops! I was going to post my latest electricity bill (174 euros for Dec2014 + Jan2015), which is in line with the higher amount shown at numbeo.com for a larger apartment, when I saw your reply to Kellymichael. What I'm being charged is average here.

Hello everyone,

Please do not hesitate to share your experience on the "Cost of living in Spain-2015" in this thread. This will be very helpful to other members here. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Kellymichael > thank you for this information.

We live in the countryside. Our house has huge thick wwalls but no insulation and the wind whistles under the doors, through the gaps in against the window frames etc. Normal Spanish house. Even in modern houses the insulation is normally minimal. we also live at 600 metres so even in Alicante it's cold -5ºC yesterday night.

We heat the place bbasically by gas supplemented by electric heaters here and there and we sometimes fire up the woodburner but it's such a faff we generally stick to the gas.

Each gas bottle is 17.80€ at the moment and, so far this year, we've spent 200€ on gas.

I live in Barcelona (Universitad) 

> accommodation prices - 730euro below bills [unfurnished]

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) T-10 is 9.80euro for 10 trips

> food prices (your monthly budget) - 160 a month, carrefour online delivery once a month

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) - none but medicine is very cheap anyways

> education prices (if you need to pay) - free language courses in work

> energy prices (oil, electricity) - Gas about 15 a month and electricity about 60 every two months

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) - Internet/telephone 24/pm, television free,

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant - plus wine about 40-50euro for 2 people

> price for a coffee or a drink - coffee with milk (Cafe con Leche) anywhere from 1.10euro to 1.60euro

> price for cinema tickets - never went.....

Hope this is of some use to someone!

Marbella area.

> accommodation prices 1k pm

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) Trains expensive compared to using car for more than one person.

> food prices (your monthly budget) 100e pm

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) cheaper than UK. Private hospitals galore, 100-150e per visit

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity) Can be found online

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) internet 50epm

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant 15e

> price for a coffee or a drink 1e

> price for cinema tickets no se, free online

Rent, utilities, wifi:  280 euro/mo
Public trans:  i don't use
Food per month: 200 e
Health ins:  $100/mo (Cigna)
Good menu in a bar 15-18 e
Coffee 1-1.30 e
Beer (caña):  1.20-2 e, depending on size
I don't go to the movies here.

I live in Barcelona

> food prices (your monthly budget) - 180

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) - none but medicine is very cheap anyways

> energy prices (oil, electricity) -  electricity about 300 every two months (in winter - no gas heating)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) - Internet around 30-40 with land line

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant - plus wine about 40-50euro for 2 people

> price for a coffee or a drink - coffee from 1-1.60 / drink around 6-7

> price for cinema tickets - 7 euros or 4 on wednesdays

> food prices (your monthly budget) - 180

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) -

> energy prices (oil, electricity) -  electricity about 300 every two months (in winter - no gas heating)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) - Internet around 30-40 with land line

> price for a coffee or a drink - coffee from 1-1.60 / drink around 6-7

> price for cinema tickets - 7 euros or 4 on wednesdays

Hello
Daimiel (Ciudad Real):
Electricity bill 90 euros (2 months)
Gas 275 euros (3 months)
Bus 4,16 euros for 2 trips
Accomodation prices: 300 euros
Food prices: 100 euros (a month)
Health prices: 0 euros
Education prices: 160 euros. I am going to have a online course
Common bills: internet: 20 euros (a month), mobile phone: 5 euros (a month)
Prices in a restaurant: 20 euros (2 person)
Coffee drink: 1.20 euros
Prices for cinema tickets: 8 euros (3D), 7 euros, 5 euros en Wednesdays.

Málaga here, south of Spain.

House: one bedroom flat, 300€/mo in the centre
Electricity bill: average 70€ every 2 months (2 ppl)
Water bill: 15/30€ every 2 months (2 ppl)
No gas
Wifi: 38.5€/mo for 10 megas

Bus: one way ticket is 1.30€ but you can buy a bus card (1.20 for the card) and then recharge it with 'bus rides'. 10 trips are 8.30€ so a one way ride comes down to 0.80€

Food: around 50€ a month minus greens, that I buy at the local greengrocers/farmers market (fruteria)
Coffee: 1€
Copas: from 3.50€ to 5€
Restaurant dinner: anywhere from 15€ to 25€, if it includes a flamenco show it's more expensive.

Health: 0 ( I dont have a private insurance)

Hi, We live in the heart of rural Andalucia amongst the olive groves, far from the busy tourist resorts on the coast.

One of the benefits of living 'out in the sticks' is that it is possible to live quite cheaply. Our current income is my husband's teaching pension though ideally we need to find another source of income to cover extras like holidays, and treats. By the end of the month we are spent out but I could be more economical by cutting back on entertaining (i'm forever inviting friends round for supper) less bottles of wine and living on lentils. That said it wouldn't be half so fun but I'd save roughly 80€ per month.

Our rates are 175€ per annum
Internet is 32€ per month
Mobile phone is pay as you go so around 5€ per month as we use skype to make calls to friends and family.
Electricity is 152€ every two months

Our main source of heating is wood/logs that we buy by the trailer load. One trailer load is 60€ and so far this winter we have bought 3 trailer loads - we will probably need one more before spring.

To supplement the wood burner heat we also use gas heaters to heat the bedrooms and also to heat our water and for cooking.
Gas bottles are 17.50€ each and we get through about 2/3 per month in the winter and 1.5 during the spring/summer/autumn months.

Water bill
around 25€ every two months for 2 people.

What you pay for groceries depends on where you shop. I'm a big fan of Lidl and I use the local market for fruit and veg.
Milk is .56 cents per litre
Bread 1.20€ for a large white uncut loaf
Rioja 2.25€ a bottle
Brandy 5.80€ a litre
2 kilos of clementines 1.00€ in the market
Cherries .80 cents per kilo
Large whole chicken (3.5 kilos) 4€

Eating out is fantastic good value especially at lunchtime with Menu del Dia. 3 generous courses plus bread basket and a glass of wine is 9.50€
If you choose to go a la carte then generally one large portion of say Solomillo a la pimienta with a side of patatas fritas is 12€

One of our treats is breakfast in a cafe. For 2.20€ you get a large white coffee or hot chocolate and a slice of pork with salsa in a baguette - or, a large tostada with tomato and coffee is 2€

Bars and Cafes
A bottle of Cruzcampo or large glass is 1.50€
A glass of wine 2€
Sherry 1.50€
Double G&T or other spirits 2.50€
Tapas is free and plentiful

Bus to the local town is 1.50€ each way

Diesel is 1.23€ a litre - we use approximately 35€ worth per month.

Health
Since receiving our social security numbers, we are now registered with a doctor in the local town.
We don't have private medical insurance. We will expect to pay for a dentist.

I hope that this list is helpful. Any questions, please shout! Lottie :)

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Spain in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Hello,
I live in Segovia, which everyone says is a pretty expensive place.  We pay 600/month for a three bedroom flat with garage  The city bus costs 1.03.  I think we spend about 60-75/ week on groceries, but we just butchered a pig and always buy organic frut and veg, so this is not a good reflection of what other people wold spend.
we have radiators in our house and in the winter we pa about 60 a month, but i have a place of business with one of those installed a/c heater things that blows air and i easily pay 150 in a cold month and it doesnt retain any heat in the room once it's off. ( i guess i just put that there in case one day you get to choose how you want to heat your house.  Dont choose that option.)
Price of a coffee is about 1.50  but if you go to the main square will cost you 3 for a coffee or cana
a menu in a traditional restaurant will cost you 30 euros but if you want good cochinillo, you will need to spend more than that.
I can't remember the last time i went to the cinema and i don't pay for tv.
hope everything has been helpful.
although if you really want to do a "cost of living" you should have me compare spanish salary to US salary to show my disposable income.  salary in spain is ridiculous.  i am lucky if i can save 50 euros a month.  in the states many of these things were more expensive, but my salary was such that i could save almost 300 bucks a paycheck (that's 600 a month!!!

> price for cinema tickets

So, you can live with ~€1.000... not as a lot of people say that you need a gazillion euros a month to live even in the most rural areas of Spain :-/ hahaha

Living in Sevilla Spain
> accommodation prices: On average, 200-300 for a room in shared flat, ~500 for a flat

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)- The bus/tram is .69 cents with a transport card, 1.20 euros without. There's also public bikes which you can access for 33 euros a year.

> food prices (your monthly budget)- Monthly budget is probably 100 - 150 euros a month

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant - Probably around 10euros

> price for a coffee or a drink - 1.50 euros

> price for cinema tickets - 5-6 euros, special price on wednesday for 2.60

>going out - On average, you can probably spend 10-20 euros on a night out, not including cover. Most places that charge cover give you a free drink though