Things that you must Try in Jakarta

Here are several tips to make your living experience in Jakarta a little bit meaningful :)

1. Going for Car Free Day During Sunday at Sudirman and Kelapa Gading (from 5.00 am to 11.00 am)

2. Going Up to the Monas Peak!

3. If you are western people, you would like to go to Kota Tua...

4. Do visit Museum Bank BII at Kota Tua area too...

5. Try to use the free tour bus which is provided by Jokowi President

6. Go to Pluit Area, ask where the Regatta Apartment is.. the place where you can enjoy sun set surrounding with beach in Jakarta

7. If you feel bored.. go to Puncak!

8. Spending your shopping time wisely at Kuningan City, where so many branded stuffs are having a big discount!

9. More Luxurious Shopping Mall would be Grand Indonesia and Plaza Indonesia... Don't forget Plaza Senayan and Senayan City too..

10. Spending your time playing golf in Senayan is also one options

11. Bring your children to Ancol Theme Park!

12. Go to China Town at Mangga Dua and Glodok Area or even Pluit to see the local dam

13. Pantai Indah Kapuk! don't miss the cafes

14. Wanna get wet? just enter the gate of PIK water world..buy ticket.. and play it..and of course.. don't forget to your swim suit.. oops..

15. Try local dishes.. not necessary at Luxurious Mall.. and also buy food at the street stall... please be wise to judge whether it is clean or not..

16. Enjoy The Traffic... everyday :)

Kota tua (Old town) is very interesting if you're interested in history, but do the background reading first in order to understand what you're looking at.

Monas. Try to go when the kids are at school, and everyone is at work. That way you don't have to wait in the horrendous queues for the one lift in the place. If not, go really early so you're at the front of the queue.

I've seen the buses, but have yet to use one - I intend to.

The big shopping malls are at least as good as, probably better, than most in western countries. Seriously, they've gone wild with design, features and the variety of outlets in these places but, and there's always a big but, they tend to be extremely expensive places to shop.
I rarely bother going because of that, preferring to use Giant or one of the other supermarkets for general shopping.
Many malls do have a good side, mostly the terrific range of food available.
Supermall, Karawaci (lippo) is a prime example of a western style mall.
Many will be unaware, but it's a copy of the Meadowhall shopping mall in Sheffield - but with so much improvement over the English one.
The Yorkshire version is very nice, but Tangerang's incarnation has an extra floor in places, a terrific technology section, and the food selection is about a million times better.
Seriously, it makes Meadowhall look like a corner shop.

As for Indonesian food, it's heaven on a plate.

Great post BinWong..!

Fred

Many thanks for the Meadowhall analogy , has my children are over right now and have shopped at Meadowhall many times ( they live in Chesterfield ) then I will take them and see if they see the similarities and the differences

Have a good day

Thank you  :D

Thank you Fred for the comprehensive comments about living in Jakarta...

Living in Jakarta gives a very different experience compare to if you live at different cities in Indonesia (especially living in small town).

Living in small town may give you access to natural tourism area and green (forest) place to enjoy!

As in Chinese culture there is a yin and yang concept..to make your life balance...

Sometimes people who live for long time in a crowded city (Yang).. can balance their routines by visiting small towns.. beaches.... highland.... the "Yin" one.. during the weekends

Take the tour bus either in the afternoon. They run from 12 and its a limited tour around the city. They are used as normal buses as well. Sunday afternoons are pretty good. But getting a set upstairs can be a challenge.

Jakarta has a lot to offer the enquiring mind, but the relaxing body is far better off in the small towns.
My favourite, Wonosobo in central Java, is chilled both in style and Centigrade.
I popped over last weekend - wonderful.

Ramathon wrote:

Fred

Many thanks for the Meadowhall analogy , has my children are over right now and have shopped at Meadowhall many times ( they live in Chesterfield ) then I will take them and see if they see the similarities and the differences

Have a good day

I saw Meadowhall opened, still recalling the mess (not 'mass') of steelworks it replaced.
I knew of a Jakarta version, but didn't visit until five years ago.
Sheffield's version is nothing compared, but they do have one thing over supermall.
The supertram is a very nice form of transport.

The first Meadowhall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Eidls … freload=10

"Meadowhall", Indonesia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN5SvWj … freload=10https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C3XwTc … freload=10

The last two are mine. Sorry about the quality - I was using a Nokia cameraphone at the time.

Saw the Youtubes: The theme park in the middle of the mall reminds me of Berjaya Times Square in Kuala Lumpur....

Yes I also remember the mess Meadowhall replaced , used to pass it regularly from home to University and boy  what a mess that was !
When I moved back into the area in 2001 managed to stay away from Meadowhall for 10 years, don't like shopping but will be very interested to see Supermall and how it resembles Sheffields crown jewel, well what else is there in Sheffield apart from pond's forge he he

The videos show you a lot you'll remember of Meadowhall, but it varies a lot after the obvious.
Indonesia's version is bigger, better, and has a very nice technology area.
The food is much better as well.

Did I mention the excellent selection of food?

if going around in Jakarta :
don't go in the morning office travel peak 7 to 9
don't go in the lunch office travel peak 12.30 to 1.30
don't go in the dinner go home trave peak 4 to 7
don't go on local holidays out of town or to other places outside Jakarta
don't go in weekends to the PUncak,

I am blessed I don't have to work, so have the choice of some very small gaps :( boy the traffic is terrible, or y need a driver so y can sleep a couple of hrs on the way home office to work 10 miles takes 2 to 5 hours welcome to Jakarta where time is not money, its stress.

Thanks for the information Binwong  :)