Child care for expat in a masters program.

How does public school and after school care work in Norway and how much does it cost?
How do people travel in cars, buses?

hi capbat33

in behalf of all the members, welcome to expat-blog :)

public schools in norway are free and are obligatory for 1st-10th grade. kids who live within 2km (for 1st grade), 4km (for 2-10th grade) and 6km (for upper secondary school) away from the school are free for public transport.. they get a bus pass to get free rides to school.. if there are no safe passage for kids to walk to school, the school will arrange transport (usually cabs) for them for free, regardless of distance..

before and after school programs (SFO) are available for kids 1st-7th grade, tho this is not free... pre-school day care centers are also available for kids before the gradeschool (grunnskole) age, this is also not free... you must contant the local municipality (kommune) to get more info about prices and schedules...

for more information, please visit/click here: Ny i Norge (New in Norway) website

for transportation, i think this depends on where in Norway you are located... as far as i know, only 3 ways of transportation exists: trains, buses, cabs, own car... cabs are extremely expensive... trains, i have no experience about them.. buses, they have specific routes and time schedules per bus stop... i think you can check www.tide.no for more information about routes and schedules.. but if you own a car, it can get u anywhere tho i heard gas are expensive as well (like everything else in Norway) :(

hope this helps :)

Thank you so much
Yes this is very helpful 😀

If you're in Oslo there's no need for a car. The  public transport system is fantastic