Resort vs. Off Resort living

Hello -

I'm an English teacher and after an extensive search, I think I've landed a job in the Maldives. It's at an international school (http://www.laleyouth.com). They've offered me $1900 USD monthly including flights. The school is located on Hulhumale which is right off the airport island. Additionally, I have been close to some resort positions again teaching English (to staff and in an apprenticeship program). They discussed $1200 with flights, shared accommodation, use of facilities, and food.

Any thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of these jobs? I'm a 47-year old male who enjoys an active social life and meeting people. I'm a bit worried about sharing accommodation and lack of a social life on a resort.

What do you think? And advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kyle

hello,

well as per my best knowledge you hulhumale island is a better opportunity for you. the school itself is nice under turkish management and i know them by the way i live same island as well.

throughout maldives no social life (dont expect much, actually jus dont expect anything :)   )

but in hulhumale island you have a big land area to explore and walk around lots of shops and down town with options of food and meeting new peoples.

while in a resort its a AAA+ class VIP jail nothing else. any direction you walk for 10 minutes there will be a end of land then. yes the living conditions and the food will be better but limited access to new peoples around and limited approcah towards the rest of the maldives.

i hope i addressed your concern.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. I wonder if any else here has actually taught in a resort before. I agree about the isolation living in the resort. I'd imagine you'd mainly just meet resort employees.

Off the resort, it looks like there's one bar in the airport. That may be a place to meet people. Is there any live music in Male? Or is all the live music on the resorts?

See ya!

Kyle

Yes that's got right idea that resort job is bit boring as I have few friends working in resort so it's boring