Any1 been bitten by a dog - hanoi, rabies?

A chained dog in a temple here in hanoi bit me, actually two together but Im pretty sure only one punctured my skin and cause a significant 1cm deep wound/ gash.

I washed it briefly and promptly but I researched on-line and vietnam has the 2nd highest no of rabies cases in the world. fatal and incurable once symptomes show.

I will go back and get photos of the dog(s) but does any1 have experience of the vaccines? My experience of every Vietnamese hospital or clinic is that they r utterly filthy and incompetent fleapits that universally rip-off whiteys as much as they possible can.

Apparently out of date vaccines are very painful large needles into the abdomen and even if vietnam has newer ones, they r guaranteed to charge me as much as they think they can.

Thaiger:
We have a dog and he injured a person about a year and half ago. Small scratch on the outer skin. 1 injection is 150.000 dong and he needed 5. The first straight after the accident. Second 2 or 3 weeks later as the hospital told him and so on. 5 in total. Our dog had all the dog injections done by a local vet and it's in his dogbook, but still you do not want anybody get sick. Get a shot as soon as possible.
Ciao

Don't the international clinics have a better reputation? Costs more, maybe worth it this time. Google to find them.

On the other hand, I just looked up what the CDC had to say.
www.cdc.gov/rabies/diagnosis/animals-humans.html
This is about rabies in the US of course, excerpt:

"... we have learned that it is not necessary to euthanize and test all animals that bite or otherwise potentially expose a person to rabies. For animals with a low probability of rabies such as dogs, cats, and ferrets, observation periods (10 days) may be appropriate to rule out the risk of potential human rabies exposure."

You might want to keep an eye on those dogs at the temple. From a distance this time.

Gobot: (Costs more, maybe worth it, this time).
   To all, Man do not take the risks. He have to get a shot or 4 maybe 5.
Those local hospitals know, when you show them the wound and bark, whoef whoef, and show them your teeth and wack them together it is a dog bite. All persons need to get a injection again rabies if there is no record about the dog which in this case is very obvious. Forget about costs, get a injection, but that's how I think.
        ''You might want to keep an eye on those dogs at the temple. From a distance this time''. Love it.
Get a shot.
Ciao.

Would do, but I leave Hanoi today

From my understanding, all hospitals charge 3 million deposit then u get a "refund" for any unused bill etc.....
Nobody ever gets a cent back, no matter how minor, they ask for more after two days, no matter how unnecessary.
That's what I've learnt in quy nhon.
Clinics will rip whiteys off for even more.
All totally useless and as likely to get worse infections from fake medicines, incompetent staff, fly and rat and flea infested hospital, as u r cured.

thanx for help.

realised, the other dogs punctured my legs too. nice of them to keep three, large, dangerous , aggressive dogs, unvaccinated and undocumented in a temple where lots of tourists go.

FYI. I am now on second day of shots. 1.7mill up front, now 200k per shot. 3 in four days then 4 more over coming weeks.

does anyone know any way to contact police, Hanoi, tourist, national, newspapers, anything to have these dogs put down before they inevitably do this again and again?
its the temple two or three streets north of the train station. quan sth?

wud be interesting to see the result if a foreigner's three dogs mauled a local tourist, huh?

Dog bites local citizen: they would not report it, just say "nothing will happen"
Dog bites policeman: now that would be interesting...

Thaiger, wondering, are the shots so painful as we always hear?

nah, just usually shots, apparently the giant needles into your innards  r out of date , even here.

impressively expensive for an underemployed english teacher, makes u wonder what someone without 3 million dong does? die, I guess, a horrific and agonising death.

Google says, at least, the Hanoi govt tried vaccinations in 2013, but whether they actually happened or were just saline, who knows?

I missed a train a few months ago, and was having an all-around Hanoi-ing day, when a mutt thought it'd be a good idea to come at me.  I took 2 steps towards it and yelled "You're the one about to get bit $%#@^& ^&%$-er!"  It retreated and the dozen or so locals that were watching got a good laugh out of it...

This is a decent hospital, that didn't seem to be out to get Mr. Keebler...

Hong Ngoc Hospital

P.S.  The police won't do anything.  That's what I learned in Quy Nhon...