Map of non smoking places in Bucharest

hi, am only since 2 weeks in Bucharest, but the smoke in pubs was so annoying, that  I have created a google map with non smoking places for eating and drinking.

Let me know of any new suggestions or corrections.

Here you are:
bit.do/nonsmokingbucharest

or here a direct link:
google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zYd7htqZwt7w.kWnEU2D81jkU

Hello sirjiri

Where are you at presently in Bucharest?

Great piece of info!  :top:

Kenjee

It's funny here because Romania is supposed to be following EU rules which means no smoking indoors ? I don't get it why they don't do like other EU countries ??

Baba668 wrote:

It's funny here because Romania is supposed to be following EU rules which means no smoking indoors ? I don't get it why they don't do like other EU countries ??

Romania is notorious for wanting and enjoying the benefits of EU membership, without following and enforcing EU laws and rights.

sirjiri wrote:

hi, am only since 2 weeks in Bucharest, but the smoke in pubs was so annoying, that  I have created a google map with non smoking places for eating and drinking.

Let me know of any new suggestions or corrections.

Here you are:
bit.do/nonsmokingbucharest

or here a direct link:
google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zYd7htqZwt7w.kWnEU2D81jkU

Excellent. I can see a good few people liking that.

Are these places exclusively non-smoking, or do they only have a non-smoking area.  I've found many places to have non-smoking areas in secondary parts of the venue, away from the main atmosphere of the venue and often scarce of wait staff attention; or on another side of the main room, which is still exposed to smoke.

Hi all, the places on the map are fully non smoking places. There are few places on the map partly smoking with well separated non smoking part - these have a special icon and is written there!

I have already left Romania, so if somebody would like to continue and take over, you are welcome. I had one Romanian guy, but he at the end had not more time for that.

Btw, there is no EU-wide legislation banning smoking inside (only recommendation), so all the bans in other countries came as an initiative from the national governments. For example, Czech Republic (where I am from) still has no regulation either :-(.

Jiri

I'm very happy to see such a map

I almost had a fight with the waitress in a more chic restaurant because I dared to kindly ask to maybe move the smokers to the terrace (it makes sense right..)...

I've learned to accept it now that restaurants and bars are smoking areas.

It's funny though that there is a recently new law (a few years ago) regulating this subject, but apparently the owners can choose to have smoking, non-smoking or both (in this case there needs to be a clear separation of the two areas), so what do you think they did, of course they have chosen their whole place as a smoking area...

Maybe one day it will change, but I fear that it's a more long term project

It's funny here because it is illegal to smoke if you are in the EU but here in Romania they don't care !! This country doesn't follow EU Law anyway so good luck with that he he.....

Baba668 wrote:

It's funny here because it is illegal to smoke if you are in the EU but here in Romania they don't care !! This country doesn't follow EU Law anyway so good luck with that he he.....

As I understand the law, in Romania it isn't (yet) illegal to smoke in public. They have introduced laws to some extent, banning smoking in state institutions, schools, etc, but any private enterprises (eg bar) which forbid minors to enter may still allow smoking. I think there was a positive vote earlier this year to ban smoking from any and all enclosed public spaces, but I guess it hasn't followed through to applied law yet.