Life in Port Moresby

Hi all,

I am Steven and an Hong Kong expat currently living in Singapore.  I am currently assessing on relocating to Papua New Guinea (PNG).

The job does comes with a good career prospect and exposure.  The perks (accommodation and transportation) are great and have no issues about it.  The sticking point is the high tax rates and little or no tax reliefs in the form of allowances or deductions.  So the monthly pay is approximately A$2,500 - A$3,500 per month which is roughly PGK5,000-PGK7,000. 

For me, relocating to any country is a big commitment both personally and professionally.  As many are aware how Port Moresby (PM) is portrayed in the media and on the Internet, I want to inquire on life in PM.

I am aware of the reputation PNG receives in terms of crime and safety (but again, parts of the world bear similarities to PNG), what I am more concerned is whether the monthly salary after tax is sufficient for daily expenses and savings.  Compared to living in Singapore and Hong Kong, it is definitely another world for me.

1) I heard recently there have been government initiatives to promote local home-grown produces and less reliance on imported goods, have there been a change in prices of food?
2) Following up on 'Point 1' and local markets in PM, which ones are safe and highly recommended to go?  I know the local markets usually sell food at a lower price compared to the supermarkets.
3) I recently browsed at the dining menu of restaurants in PM where the minimum cost of a meal is 30Kina, are there any places in PM where a meal cost less than that?  Are there any local establishments recommended (of course being with a trusted local for safety reasons).
4) For weekends, are there usually foreign expat events organised?  If so, are there any groups to mention?   How to get myself involved in such events?
5) Other than the Royal Papua Yacht Club, is Vision City Mall safe to go alone for shopping and entertainment purposes?
6) I would also like to participate in volunteering events whenever available?  Is there are website that have more information on this matter?
7) How does PM in 2015 compared to say 5 years ago?  Any photos to share?

Feel free to raise other points I did not mentioned, be great to hear more in-depth and in details. 

Thanks,

Steven

Hello Steven,

I would be glad to answer some questions for you. My wife and I have been in PM for 15 months an really love it here (Minus the heat this past week).  With expenses paid all you have is food, personal items and entertainment.

Here are the answers to your questions:
1.  Food prices are stable but somewhat high for imported goods. You can look through some other of my blog responses for actual food item costs.  My wife and I spend bout K2500 a month for everything.
2. There is usually good fresh vegs, fruits, etc on roadside markets and they are cheaper.  We have a couple we like to go to.  You have to be careful in local markets, so find someone like me) to take you to the safe ones first.
3.Dining:  Yes there are many nice dining places.  We typically buy fried chicken pieces, chips and a drink for K18, Fried boneless fish, fresh garden salad and chips for the same.  Chinese meals start at K18  - K25 for lunches.  You can easily eat for under K25 at many places.  There are many good rest. here. The Indian food is the best I ever had and was K35 per plate.
4. Not sure about expat groups and weekends, there are some clubs, two movie theaters, a diving club a mall and several expat shopping areas.  We typically hang out with friends doing our own thing.
5. The Yacht club is safe,  No real shopping there, but expensive food - compared to others.  You do have to have a membership or go as a guest.
6.  There are lots of opportunities to volunteer,  I work for a Christian NGO - City Mission.  There is another article on here a month or so ago that listed several volunteer organizations.  Check it. The need for humanitarian work surrounds us,  It will notbe hard to find something that fits in with your particular area of interest/concern.
7.  We've only been here 15 months.  Can't comment of earlier.  However I think these is less crime, more modernization and a decent effort to make the city cleaner since we have been here.  There is a lot road upgrades and once they are done, the city roads will be nice as well as the major roads going out of the city.

Please feel free to private message me through the board if you want to visit more.

Steve