What do you like the most in Cambodia?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Cambodia?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Cambodia and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

I was in Canbodia in 2010-2013, firstly I thought I could not live there for over a year. But later, I felt love with this country. I like everythings there but people the most. I have lots of good friends there both Khmer and expat and we are still keep in touch. I can say Cambodia is my 2nd home. I always miss there and find chance to visit.

I think the country is ok but not in love or not liking some people. You might asked my why? A tuk tuk driver almost kill me three days ago. He agreed two dollars to get me where I am going. and not reaching destination yet, he start saying $2.50 and stop the tuktuk, when I said no, he start pulling his wooden stick and want to beat me. Good it was in intersection near  school. I start walking while he shout . I told him bring me and I pay you as agreed upon. I guess that is so rude . This tuktuk represents cambodia, if they are like that. I guess if I am the leader of transport authority here, I let them check all the tuk tuk for weapons, and drugs... for the safety of the foreign passengers.  I dont like them.
I have no love for these people.

Another example. A German lady who worked as a volunteer and died. and no one ever helped out? I guess that is heartless.  Sorry to say this
but I am just saying the facts .

you only had 1 bad tuk tuk driver. I was in Siem Reap at the start of the year and am coming back in 2 weeks prior to retiring there and I found that all the tuk tuk drivers were very helpful.

Chrisbelt,

Sir, for your information this is the third tuktuk driver that did that to me
and also one shop guy , that I found out that was mentally ill.

I was talking about Phnom Penh , you about Siem reap.  I am not talking
about one tuk tuk but as a whole.

If you go around and pass a questionnaire to foreigners here as to what irritates them the most? The answer : TUK TUK.

So please before you jumping on my throat and being so confident
about your Siemreap tuktuk and how you love Cambodia, Why dont
you allow me to express my views. This is not a debate or argument
site. This is a site where we as a foreigner share our thoughts so other
be aware when they come over.

I appreciated that you love Cambodia for whatever reason you have.
But sorry , for the aspects I have mentioned I dont. and I do expect people to respect my opinion.

Thank you.

whoa buddy. listen up. I am 66 years old and have had no problems with any one in Siem Reap let alone Cambodia as a whole. if you have had problems with tuk tuk drivers in P.P. so be it but don't lob all tuk tuk drivers together. all the ones in S.R. are very good. so don't get on your high horse with me.

Hi Expat1010 and Chrisbeit,

A fair reminder, basically we are on a forum where we share information and bring mutual support as in we try to help each other. It would be really great if you guys can avoid arguing without engaging in personal attacks on the Forum please.

Each to their own and not everyone experienced the same things as everyone else - you should keep that in mind for better understanding and interactions please.

I will invite you to keep that spirit of mutual aid.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Maximilien

I love the weather, the smell of rice paddy's in the countryside during the wet season, the genuine smiles, friendliness and generosity of the Khmer people, the ease of getting around, spending time in the provinces under a wooden house lazing on a hammock, the fresh fruit, shopping for meat, fruit & veg at the markets in the morning, the inexpensive cost of living, the closeness of so many other countries to visit....

I could go on and on and can't narrow it down to just one or 2 things.

All countries have their good & bad points, but this thread is titled "What do you like the most in Cambodia?", so try and keep it positive and not stray off-topic people :)

So glad to hear a positive post. Cambodian people are some of the most genuinely friendly people I've ever come across. There are rotten apples wherever you are

Thanks, Christine, for posting a topic that invites responses to very simple questions: what do we like about Cambodia and what seduced us when settling and living in Cambodia.

While I am not living in Cambodia, I had an extended visit to Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville earlier this year; and am returning with glee upon departing Vietnam in a couple of weeks. Why? The people (who were kind and hospitable to me everywhere); the climate (which is hot, no doubt); a few missed attractions;  an affordable cost of living; and most importantly to me, the "seduction" of Cambodian history.

I remain on guard wherever I am, particularly in my American home city of Memphis, likewise in Thailand, Panama, Vietnam, Singapore, etc.  Cambodia's historical experience during the 1970s created conditions that I believe probably belie not only the current citzenry's hope for a better, more prosperous life but also the negative behaviors reported in the thread---although the frightening and atrocious threat to Expat1010's personal safety is inexcusable. For a people whose culture & societal structures were so upended that the process of acculturation had to be jump-started, the benefit of doubt is a privilege I believe they have earned and I choose to frame it with a spirit of compassion.

On my daily walks earlier this year, especially in smaller Sihanoukville, I smiled and spoke to the tuk tuk guys every day when they hawked me for my business. It was rapport-building; bilateral confidence-building for when they were ultimately used. A smile and a wave worked wonders, as did overt respect for their efforts and their needs.  I tried to treat them and others in service occupations similarly by not perceiving an adversarial economic component in any interaction. I just accept that the system (and equipment)  in Cambodia to earn a buck is entirely different from the model used in my country of origin.

It is exactly this approach that created lasting platonic friendships with a couple of female beach vendors, their nieces and nephews, and even a few of their cousins who worked in a beach cafe. They took me in as one of their own; were fun to be around. I looked very forward to our daily visits & interactions. And in ways that were immaterial to me, I gladly contributed to the well-being and nutrition of them. I loved watching Tom & Jerry on my iPhone with one of the kids whose moother protected the battery charge on her own phone!  For me, it was all goodwill building; it made my stay pleasant and memorable.  I saw no gain at all in being a judgmental, snooty westerner---even if I could be that stereotype. I may have been the ultmate sucker in the eyes of some cynics but I truly want to be there again, witness their smiles, enjoy a meal or two and learn about their human experience as differen as it is from my own.

Cambodia has been great to me. And I will continue to be cautious and will continue to always think safety at home or abroad.

This is the second day I've been in Phnom Penh. So far I am enjoying it.  People are so kind in their own way. Food is making me fat, I can't stop eating and haven't had bad experience yet Yummmy!!!
Although trying to bargain a tuk tuk could be challenging sometimes but at the end of the day they are trying to make a living. They have been very friendly and I've had no bad experiences yet. Thank god!!!
Looking forward to living here for another 12 months.
I will keep you posted of I do experience any bad tuk tuks.

I have been travelling to Cambodia for 12 years now and have spent considerable time on PP. I now use the same three tuk- tuk drivers that I really like. I am a woman of 68 years and find PP as safe as any big city. My drivers have always been more than helpful as have people in general. If you treat all people with respect you get respect back. I LOVE PP

Just a short message to the admin, since all my responses to a poster named Tonydins (and his posts telling us how bad the place was and that it "made him sick to read" others liking/defending it ) got deleted. A thread like this is just an invitation for all the naysayers - which there are plenty when it comes to Cambodia - to come and post and tell everyone "the truth".

Also, while I sympathize with expat101010, writing "This tuktuk represents cambodia" is just really weird. To her/him, perhaps - but these are the actions of individuals in one of the poorest countries in SE Asia, still completely unacceptable but not really functional to lift negative actions by others on such a meta-level and blame the country. Blame poverty - would make more sense.

I also felt it was heavy-handed to delete it all and not have seen a discussion like this coming (maybe subtitle it with "only positive experiences and only agreeing with each other").

People can handle an argument once in a while. My apologies if I am coming across as argumentative.

I have just spent the last 7 days in Siem Reap and found all the people that I met were very polite and helpful, I seems to me that all the bad things happen in PP and not in Siem Reap. I like this place so much that I will be coming back in 6 months or so to retire and live here. Here's seeing you then. Chris

I came to Cambodia since 2004, I had been to some Provinces like Pursat , Kampot, Poipet, Preah Vehear, Kpg Thom. During the stay here there lots of experiences about the culrure, food and the people here.

As a foreigner, people will think you're loaded. If you want to buy something try to ask your local friend here to buy, otherwise you get an expensive one. Unless you know the price and the shop.

As for tuk tuk we always get more expensive price compare to the local.

One time I got in a taxi from Poipet to Battambang, but when we reached Bantey Mean Chey, the driver asked me to go down and didn't want to go to Battambang.

People here time management is very poor. If we promise 8 am may be 10 am and happened to me they even didn't come.

But if you're going to stay long here there are lot of good things to explore.

I still stay in Battambang.

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” Travel Quote

I can honestly say that I never had a real bad experience with any tuk tuk or motorcycle taxi driver (only bad experiences ever were with a Swiss GH owner in SR (now in prison, coincidentally) and a skin doctor's office in PP - for any doctor in Cambodia, I would not go without a personal recommendation - but this is balanced out by finding the best dentist I have ever had in PP - Dr. Chou Nee at 41 Sisowath, close to Tepui Restaurant at China House).

I always like to keep things easy & joke with them - what you put out into the world, you get back - and I use my secret weapon in interactions with them. Plus, not stressing of getting charged a bit more helps.

"As a foreigner, people will think you're loaded." -> If you could afford to travel to Cambodia from far away, then there's no doubt that that's an accurate statement. Talk to the hotel staff and find out they earn $80/a month and be shocked - true example from my last trip.