What do you like the most in Scotland?

Hi,

Living abroad, expats discover and enjoy a new environment.

What do you like the most in Scotland?

What seduced you when settling and living here?

Share with us your favorite part of living in Scotland and the reason why you enjoy your expat life here.

Thank you in advance,

Christine

the peoples in glasgow are wonderfull  and the scenery are gorgeous

The winter's are much milder. I do like a good snow but not as long as we have it in Canada. Also, I would have to say the concept of a "High Street" is brilliant, especially Buchanan Street and Argyle for being like an open market atmosphere almost at times. Glasgow has a cosmopolitan flair with a side of industrial grit and this resonates to me. I find Glasgow very welcoming.

I don't see never Scotland

livinglife81 wrote:

the peoples in glasgow are wonderfull  and the scenery are gorgeous

I like Scotland despite the people in Glasgow!

Scotland's natural beauty and also the kindness of her people are unrivalled. I've travelled extensively and worked on other countries on different continents. But some incidents are unheard of elsewhere.

Often elderly people do acts of kindness for some male strangers which are astonishing.

Chris

haud18 wrote:

Dear Fidobsa (?),

Don't take it personally, but have you actually spent time in Glasgow and met any glaswegian ? No offense again, BUT anonymously, in one brief sentence you have insulted ALL the population or Glasgow... Bravo ! Nice way to promote international relations and help integration. Your city is obviously much better, hey ?
All the Best for you future travels ! As one say, "les voyages forment la jeunesse"...
Haud from Paris, France, but living in Glasgow

This is the kind of thing that puts me off Glasgow:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gla … t-22276018

I have not spent a lot of time in the city but have had friends from that region of Scotland and most of them have ultimately turned out to be bad people. I also have English friends who have worked in Glasgow and they also had bad experiences, particularly the females. They told me there was catholic / protestant rivalry, similar to that in northern Ireland. They were often asked questions about their religion by complete strangers. This does not happen elsewhere in Scotland, except perhaps in Dundee.

I love that you can be in the city and then hop on a train or get in the car and within 30 minutes you can be surrounded by mountains! Where else can you get that?! Its the best of both worlds!

fidobsa you wrote I like Scotland despite the people in Glasgow!
Obviously you never been to glasgow long enough to meet the glaswegian . They are the most friendly  people I ever met. But I am glad you don't like them , they don't need people like you there.
PEOPLE MAKES GLASGOW   :)

I think Scotland is a really beautiful and interesting part of the UK and really hope that it will always remain part of the UK.

I am most familiar with Edinburgh and Aberdeen, and I must say I really love Edinburgh, especially areas such as the Grassmarket. I have relatives in Edinburgh so visit now and again and I love the fact that it has so much culture and beauty. But I have also spent much time in Aberdeen. I even attended a two week Firefighting and Survival Course at the Robert Gordon Institute, you know, strapped in a helicopter and dunked into a deep swimming pool and rotated upside down and having to find your way to the surface, all that kind of stuff.

But apart from the cities, the countryside is truly beautiful. I have traveled quite extensively through the Highlands, and stayed at places like Inverness, Gairloch and the Isle of Arran. It is all so incredibly beautiful.

Aside from natural beauty and generally easygoing people, Scotland has an amazing archaeological history. Brodgar, Stenness, Skara Brae, and several other spots are on my Bucket List. I'm also interested in ongoing wildlife recovery programs.

Yup Scotland is indeed a wonderful place. Only problem these days is that the economy is really bad brought on as a result of the drop in oil prices. I know people who have lost their jobs because oil companies don't want to drill exploratory wells anymore and are relying only on production. These are people in Indonesia where the national oil company laid off a lot of employees, as well as in Europe and also in Aberdeen. I really hope that Scotland can create more jobs for it's people, and become less reliant on handouts from the EU.

Scotland is a beautiful place!  I love that it is so easy to get around!  If you book early, train fares can be quite low, and it doesn't take long before you can easily get out of the city and into the countryside!  Much faster travel than getting around in Canada.  A 4.5 hour journey takes you a small distance in Canadian terms, but can get you beyond Inverness here!  So much to see...

I was not aware that Scotland relied on handouts from the EU. I suppose that will all stop when Brexit happens, despite 62% of Scottish voters wanting to remain in the EU.

One of the things we've been keeping an eye on is the potential for at least some industry coming out of the dismantling, salvaging, and repurposing of oil platforms as they go out of use, and fabrication for wind and solar farms. I'm a jack-of-all-trades and small business owner who can usually make work one way or another, but my Other Half is a CNC programmer who's used to working on a pretty wide range of fabrication operations. So we're watchfully optimistic.