In which region Will people buy my sausage?

Hello all,  My name is Paula (see “intro 4th quarter 2015” thread )
My boyfriend and I am looking to move to a rural village, maybe next year.  I live in the UK and we are both EU citizens. I want to find a house on the outskirts of town and keep some pigs and hens.  I will need a little arable land too, for potato, veg and the like. Regulated.  Maybe 3000m2 close to the house.

I will try and sell our sausages and bacon.  Maybe run a cafe too.  All Day English Breakfasts!
We can make or grow most things we need.  I am starting to learn some Bulgarian too.

Where is good for these things?  Varna / Bourgas Region ?  We will need lots of water in summer and we don't want the weather too cold in winter.  Also, a live stock market not too far away.  But... a place where tourists pass through when they are out at play.

But.... will people buy our sausages bacon and eggs?   ;)

HI Paula,
I am hoping we can help each-other out.  I am from England but now live in Bulgaria. I think your 'all day English Breakfast' idea is very cool. I myself would be a big fan! However I live in a very, very small village in the middle of nowhere (population 64) and hardly ever go out. One thing I do have here is a real interest in getting some pigs. While I don't want to be the one to poor cold water on your idea some problems you might have include getting going with quality bacon and sausages before you can farm your own.  Moreover in the Varna or Burgas area your not going to get much land (cheaply) to keep a reasonable size farm and getting a business licence to keep pigs for outside sale is quite costly.  I on the other hand I have 3.800 Sq meters of land just in my garden alone and I have the licence already.  It sounds crazy but I want pigs because I have 'too much' garden!!! With well over 80 fruit trees and just me to deal with it all. Therefore a family of pigs might be really helpful. So if your looking for a place to house pigs do let me know, I would be very happy to have them on my land. There is literally no catch hear, no money involved, I just need a few garden vacuum cleaners!!! I am about 1 hour by car from Varna and 2 hours from Burgas.  Best regards Col

Sounds interesting Col, Are their any properties for sale in your area? 

We don't have much cash as we are living on benefits in a council property in UK at the moment.  The government have made it impossible and illegal to "home kill" here.  Also, so much regulation on transportation.  You have to own a refrigerated van/truck, even if you live 20min from the slaughter house and the meat will only be out of chill for less than 30min. 

You need animal passports, transportation licences and so on £xxxxx.  The small subsistence farmer is dead in the UK.  They have made it too expensive to be self sufficient on the land.  Big business only!  Farms go out of  business and get repossessed by the banks and sold as holiday homes for London investors at a fraction of their value.  Then the city people complain about mud on the road, cocks crowing, animals wandering, noise, smell and so on. We lost all in the financial crash of the last few years and have nothing left but our skills and knowledge and some tools and equipment.

I have been looking at Bulgaria.  Agents must be making a killing.  Some houses are so overpriced on the internet.  Maybe the families that own these properties do not know the true value as they would have been passed on to them through generations and generations from elder to young.   The agent says "i will sell it for you" and makes as much as the seller. 

We need to come and talk to people in BG and find a good lawyer too, who cares about his country and not just getting rich.

Paula

The prices you see on the Internet, especially the English sites, are not the real price, you have to come here and then start looking with an agent or if you know someone that can ask around in an area you are looking to buy. Then there is the negotiation and so on.

Yes that is my idea.  I will travel to BG in the spring.  Maybe i can see and talk to Col.

People soon drop the price when they have a chance to smell the money.  I am an expert when i haggle.  I will walk if the price is not right for my pocket.  But people love to see, hold and smell how dirty money is.  When they feel it, and hold it, people change.  Where i come from, only a fool would pay the ask price.  I would be ashamed to show my face if i could not get at least 10-20% off the price.   But it is easy to get robed with big money on you.  You have to be smart and not afraid.  People have tried to rob me in many places i have traveled.  They alway whished they had chosen to rob somone else instead.

This is how thing used to be done here in England.  Now if you want to buy and pay for a house, the seller can put the price up before it completes as there are more buyers than there are houses to go around.  Where i live, most of the houses are empty in the winter because they are the summer houses of rich people that live in London.  They come only in the summer.  But they do not spend money here.

The dificulty is finding someone you can trust to help. I can get a lawyer.  The british embasy will give me a list of lawyers i can trust.  But, we must get drunk together if i am to know how far i can trust him for sure.

I just want land so i can feed myself and my partner, sell a little meat and veg to friends and neighbours, i dont want to join the rat race and fill the supermarkets with my sausages.