Good tip on a page where I can look/search for work?

Hi Everyone!

I'm also new to this page as many also seams to be.

Anyways, I'm planning to move down to Holland to my girlfriend and to the city Utrecht in end of this year.

Does any of you have a good tip on a page where I can look/search for work? And how does the buisness market actually look like? Is it hard to find a job? Do a NEED to learn and speak dutch? Good pages to look for apartments.

And if there is anything else important to know and I need to fix before moving, please tell me! =)

Hi Moggen2,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Utrecht forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

For some starting information, i invite you to have a look at the New Netherlands expat guide.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Moggen2 wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I'm also new to this page as many also seams to be.

Anyways, I'm planning to move down to Holland to my girlfriend and to the city Utrecht in end of this year.

Does any of you have a good tip on a page where I can look/search for work? And how does the buisness market actually look like? Is it hard to find a job? Do a NEED to learn and speak dutch? Good pages to look for apartments.

And if there is anything else important to know and I need to fix before moving, please tell me! =)

Welcome. :)

Work - depends what you can do.  If you want a good job, you need recognisable qualifications and skills (the Dutch are quite hot on this); more importantly, that skill needs to be in demand.  Google will help you find agencies that are looking for people.  Once you find one, give them a call and they can tell you what your chances of finding work are.

Dutch - I would say yes, you need to learn and speak Dutch.  It's true that many Dutch people speak English, but I'm assuming English is not your mother tongue, so you are competing with local job seekers who also speak English, plus, everything around you (shops, travel information etc) is in Dutch.  You'll find life a lot easier if you speak the language; it will also help you get work.

Assuming you have an EU passport, you won't need to go through any immigration process; this link will tell you more..

If you don't have an EU passport, then you need to get a visa before you move to Holland; you can't apply from within.

Regardless of nationality, you will have to register at the local town hall (Gemeente); you'll also need private health insurance (circa €150 p/month).

Accommodation - depends; Housing Associations can help (if your girlfriend is already there, she can register with the local association). 

If your girlfriend is Dutch, she'll be able to help you.