Ruins in Belize

what are the best ruins to visit while in Belize

For me there is no best site. They are all so very incredible and unique in different ways. And sometimes just getting there is an adventure in itself. Like Caracol, El Pilar and Lamanai (by boat or by road). The southern sites, Nim Li Punit and Lubaantun (where the Crystal Skull was found) are pretty small but usually we have the sites to ourselves. Great to listen to stories from the caretakers, and  must sees before the sites are over run by cruisers. Same with Altun Ha, where the Jade Head was found. Try to avoid days when cruise ships are in. Some sites have other "bonuses" in the area. Like Rio On Pools, wonderful to cool off after climbing temples, and Rio Frio Caves on the way to/from Caracol. Benny's Kitchen after Xunantunich, and the hand cranked ferry. Great view and adult beverages at Cahal Pech :-) The boat ride up the New River to Lamanai. All the sites are accessible by vehicle, but not all sites are on bus routes, so you'd have to go with a group/tour. So I'm not really much help with answering your question. But you'll know what I meant once you visit a couple of the sites. Oh and how could I forget...there are always howlers at Caracol, Xunantunich and Lamanai. Sometimes spider monkeys. And you will see toucans, parrots, and all kinds of other birds. And the views from some of the structures are stunning.

Wow Wow and did I say wow! my sister in law who's coming with me inJanuary has never seen the ruins so I'd like to at least take her to a couple of them. we will have a car and our first night we're staying at the zoo Lodge. which ones are close to the zoo?  and ones close to Plasencia we will be staying 3 nights in Placencia.
thanks for your help
Pam

Lamania, and,caracol,sight.

thanks! will look it up. How's the weather in Belize? :)

Nearest Maya sites to zoo,  if keep going west one hour drive Cahil Pech  in San Ignatio then a further 1/2 hour or less to Xunantunich  at Soccutz would be closest. After Xunantunich go into the village to Bennys for  meal.

Present weather has Belize under Emergency regulations due to severe floods Nation wide, should be fine well before you get here. Dry season begins in December traditionally, I add that as with global warming and an El nino year  who knows what to expect.

I think wet pretty well sums it up, although we are get some sunshine.