Lake Atitlan internet

Hi, we work from home in Panajachel where the internet is pretty good but we're looking to move to a really quiet pueblo on the lake and are guessing that good internet won't be available so are trying to find a creative solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have seen a big dish (looks like an inverted umbrella) on a house near us ... does anyone know about installing such a thing - how to do it, what it might cost - or of any other ideas?  Thanks in advance!

If "big" means over a meter and more likely 1.6 meters, and it is Internet-related, that would be a VSAT system. If possible, avoid such a system as the delays (because of the distance to/from the bird are long) are, at best, irritating. Also, bandwidth tends to be expensive.
There are quite a few wireless Internet providers around the lake. For example, the B&B I just bought in San antonio Palopó has "unlimited" Internet delivered over a 5GHz link from a provider in town. Rumor is that their backhaul (link back to the real Internet connection) is wireless from Santiago. A friend in Santa Cruz has service from GringoNet.
If you have a particular community in mind, I may be able to help. If not, look for someone with a 5GHz radio outside and ask or ask in a local Internet cafe. The most common radio I see here is the Ubiquity AirMax M5 (photo at http://www.atlanticintersa.com/index.ph … er=product) but there are others.

Hi Maryrossi,

We have an excellent signal to many parts of the lake, if you send me your co-ordinates or a screenshot from google i can often tell if we have a "view" of your location, we broadcast from San Pedro, a point between Cerro de Oro and Santiago, as well as from Panajachel.
We have our system in a number of hotel/restaurant operations as well as residential customers across the north side of the lake from San Pablo to San Jorge.
We have NO unhappy customers, if we can't supply a satisfactory service we will tell you so and take our equipment and go home. Our installations are free unless you need a pole or tower of some sort, then you would need to supply this, usually not much is required.

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks so much for the information - we haven't found our new house quite yet but when we do in the next couple of weeks (we hope) we will definitely keep you and your company in mind - sounds excellent.

How much does 5k service cost per month in Santa Cruz Laguna?

Steve,

We are purchasing a house in Santa Cruz in June. We need to have internet & wireless installed. Please send me an email with your contact information so I can send you a google earth image of the location.
My email is ***. I would like to have the installation completed on 6-9-18.
It would be great if you could get back with me ASAP.

Thank you,

Jeff Priegel

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.