Tips for getting your first job in France

Hi,

What are your tips and advice for getting a first job in France?

What are the job hunting steps to follow? Where to look for offers: newspapers, Internet, recruitment agencies, word-of-mouth?

What are the top hiring sectors?

What would you recommend to young professionals wishing to start their career in France?

Thank you in advance for your participation!

Make sure to prepare a RESUME with the format that is used here. There are certain things that are important that we may never consider in another country. For example, French resumes have a picture, your status (single or married) and if you have children. In the USA, this is unheard of.
There are also various ways to include your experience. Ex. importance of tasks or chronologically.
I made a lot of calls and interviewed with Agencies like Randstad or Michael Page. This kind of process will help you get an idea of how the recruitment process works and how competitive it is for your sector.
Perseverance is key and don't be surprised that you are downgraded a bit. I get the impression locals always have priority for the good jobs. I've been working in FR for more than 6 yrs now.
Good luck!

I found my first job in France thru the "Expat.com"! The director of a children's English association contacted me thru here and offered me a position. It's important to list your strengths in your profile and perhaps a little bit of work history, a lot of bilingual job employers look thru this site for potential employees.

France's work environment works strongly on connections and word of mouth, I suggest becoming part of a professionals club/association that keeps you in close contact with professionals in your city.

hello!!i am in Lyon and i speak good english but no so good frenc,you have any idea,because i need to work here?i saw that you found one work as english speaker!Thanks in advance!

Hello,
When didi you arrive?
In France you will enevitably need to speak the language and there is no way around it.
I took many classes, I went to the town where I lived and requested if they had any free classes and did those plus paid ones at the Alliance Francais.
Finding a 1st job perhaps in an american store like: Gap,Quicksilver,Adidas,etc maybe if you give it your best they will hire you for your english profile for international clients and from there you start practicing French .
One day at a time, hope this helps!

Hello Martina,
Are you a student? If so, the most available jobs will probably be babysitting/au pair for children or doing ateliers in English for children like I do.
The hrs for both these jobs work better with student schedules.

Families sometimes look for English speakers to care for their children as do american families living abroad.

You should be able to look up "English au pair" or "English ateliers", "teaching english" in  Lyon on your web search to see what job listings are available.

Good luck!