Valencia - are the flat rentals near the beach ok? Any general advice?

I'm thinking about moving to Valencia to live there either part or full time. Always loved Spain and I've heard a lot of good things about living in Valencia and should really stay in rented first but I'm also interested in buying a cheap flat. I've seen a few for sale near the beach. Is this area OK? Are they easy enough to rent if in good order as well. For expats already there, do you have any general advice?
lots of thanks in advance.  Ric

Hi Ric, great choice to come to Valencia! Malvarossa is great but around Cabanyal there are also areas/street that are cheap to live yet not recommendable. You love or hate it, but great neighborhood with lots of typical cheap tapas bars, friendly locals and of course close to the beach! All depends what price category you are looking for, which street the flats are in, if they have elevators, if flats are not owned by the bank (no debts by former owners etc). Maybe rent first (even if its just temporary 2-3 weeks) and find out yourself. Lots of other neighborhoods you will love and all close to beach in fact. Always depends what you are looking for in a city, in your accommodation (and what your budget allows you!) etc.. Good luck! Let me know if you need more help. * moving2valencia *

Thanks very much for your detailed account. Excellent advice.
I can't wait to be there. I have things to do in the UK first then I can start my new adventure of a life in Spain.